New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding The Crocs!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
We have so many green iguanas running around our backyard, that we have to shoot some on regulat basis to keep their numbers down.

The crocs love them.

They also got a couple of crows for a bonus.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed
how large is the croc in the picture?
great pictures thank you

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
About 13 foot.

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Ha ha...

Awesome pics...

What do you use to shoot the iguanas and crows with???

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not let Walter to close to the crocs. if one eats him the poor croc will be sick for a week rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trophyhunter5000:
Ha ha...

Awesome pics...

Single shot 410 shotgun.

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by trophyhunter5000:
Ha ha...

Awesome pics...

Single shot 410 shotgun.

Good caliber choice. I am surprised it wasn't a 400/375. Some of us would have used a caliber starting with a five.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I noticed their was an iguana in one of the animal enclosures you posted in another thread, which I assumed was just a pet. Were they originally released/escaped and have just done remarkably well in your environment?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We were given a few green iguanas, which we put in a large enclosure.

They bred, and some of the babies managed to go through the holes in the fence of their cage, and multiplied like the proverbial rabbits.

We now have so many of them, I probably shoot at least 200 of them a year, and still nopt catch up with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Who does the dental work on those crocks? Looks like you have had the majority of their teeth ground down. Good insurance! They still might gum you to death.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was running a contract surveying job on Dominica airport in the Caribean after I "retired" when I encountered my first really big Iguana in the wild...I damn near stepped on, it took off like a bat outta hell, I jumped back 4 or 5 feet in one mighty bound and damn near browned my pants...I think my three local "helpers" are still laffing!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
How much would you charge Steve and Me to come fish in your croc pond?? shocker animal animal jumping rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Saeed,
How much would you charge Steve and Me to come fish in your croc pond?? shocker animal animal jumping rotflmo

No charge, as long you both stand naked in the middle of the pond with your fishing rods. Walter will throw the iguanas and crows around you, to keep the crocs away jumping

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Saeed, my Father-in-Law is visiting in a few weeks. I've you need any more croc food.....

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deerdogs:
Saeed, my Father-in-Law is visiting in a few weeks. I've you need any more croc food.....

We welcome any feed for the crocs!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shockerNAKED shocker thats way to ugly I'm afraid my being naked would scare the poor innocent crocs to death rotflmo animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm afraid my being naked would scare the poor innocent crocs to death

well just think of the poor things when they see steve shocker

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they can't see in brown water. rotflmo Steve is not fond of crocs. shocker rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
WOW, I thought that it was pretty cool when I shot a tree squirrel in the back yard and the neighbors dog swallowed it whole!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
they can't see in brown water. rotflmo Steve is not fond of crocs. shocker rotflmo

That mate, is the understatement of the century. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Saeed, does feeding time usually require a rain-coat? Crocs are very messy eaters, especially when something is too big to swallow whole. The way they shred things though does give one a hell of a lot of respect for their immense power. How many crocs do you have, is it just the two? At 13ft they would be of breeding age, but I would suspect they are probably both of the same sex and most likely male. Do they fight much? If so, it is probably a good thing that there are no females of breeding age around as they would probably end up killing each other unless separated as the males especially are very territorial! The same goes for females too though, they end up fighting, especially during the breeding season over prime egg-laying areas. Males and females though tend to get along well together most of the time, but males have been known to kill females in captivity, but think it is pretty rare.

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Saeed, if Walter ever plays tricks on you on safari again, you can always threaten to make him swim lengths in the croc-pool as punishment!

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nzou:
Hi Saeed, if Walter ever plays tricks on you on safari again, you can always threaten to make him swim lengths in the croc-pool as punishment!

Nzou,

Walter is the only person I know who had been bitten by one of our crocs.

Sadly, the croc was only about 2 feet when he did it, and Walter was wearing jeans.

Our biggest, and ugliest croc is named Walter too!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a pretty croc. How do you measure the ugliness of a croc?? rotflmo Big Grin

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
How big is your back yard if 200 iguanas are the surplus overpopulation?

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Great Pics.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never seen a pretty croc. How do you measure the ugliness of a croc?? rotflmo Big Grin

Walter says look in the mirror and you will see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping ya I have to admit I'm pretty much the poster boy for ugly jumping Walter is right on that one rotflmo Thats why I have the beard to cover up some of the ugly rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought Saeed's light colored Crocs as well as some on the Lower Lupande quite loverly.....uhhh...dead....

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

Let me be very direct -and clear. Crocs are something that should not have ever survived from the age of the T-Rex. Our good Lord made sure that T-Rex was gone long before we arrived on this good earth. I cannot criticize the Lord for overlooking the removal of the croc along with T-Rex - BUT I SURE AS HECK CAN CRITICIZE ONE NAMED SAEED FOR ADDING MORE YEARS TO THE CROC'S TIME HERE ! Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add to my last post - I met land iguana in Panama and liked them. (so ugly as to be cute) Frankly, Saeed, I think it's like feeding puppies to a shark. (Yes, this one month,single time hunter in Africa developed a real hatred of crocs -even more than for hyenas)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Saeed, if you have a surplus of green iguanas, you might consider the fact that in their native Central America, they are referred to as Pavo de selva which means "jungle chicken". They are held in high esteem on the table. You might consider giving the cook this hint and not wasting all of them on the crocs?

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed. I swear I read somewhere that you have piranha in your croc pond. Is this true?

Posts: 78 | Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Zanni:
Saeed. I swear I read somewhere that you have piranha in your croc pond. Is this true?

Yes we do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping no wonder you invited me to come fishing in your pond jumping that was just a way to feed the fish jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting lizards with a shotgun seems unsporting to me. Not too mention lead is probably not a recommended dietary supplement for crocs. Friends in FLA hunt them with sling shots. One is considering going to a blow gun to add a little more challenge.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
being my usual shy quiet reserved self if it was me I would be using a big bore to shot the lizards Big Grin but thats just me Big Grin unsporting is when you miss your target right???? rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would have preferred to use a 22 rim fire.

But, as we live inside teh city limit, that is not possible. As the bullets will have to land somewhere.

I use an air rifle for a lot of these lizards, especially the ones which found in the lower branches.

Some, like the ones you see here, like to climb to teh top of some quite high trees. And the best way I have found to get them down is my 410.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes we do.

what kind?

Posts: 78 | Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes we do.

what kind?

The kind that bite!

I have no what their scientific name is.