Find
Notify
Tools

Baboon Skulls
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
This is probably better suited to the taxidermy forum, but I don't know anybody over there, and you guys might benefit from the tip...

I got my skulls back from Zim, and while they were clean, they did have stains and grease on them. At the advice of my taxidermist, I boiled them for 45 minutes in an outdoor turkey frying pot with water and some blue Dawn dishwashing liquid in it.

Then I put them warm into a five gallon bucket filled with unscented paint thinner.

They came out just like a museum display. Perfect.

And the broth from the pot was great with a little salt and some veggies!

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Post some photos of the finished product.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
N'gagi.

Don't forget the garlic! Babooon broth is much better with fresh minced garlic! Wink

try it you'll agree!!!! thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of paint thinner.

Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
I owned a taxidermy shop for several years and was always very wary of boiling skulls. There's a point that is reached when the suture lines holding the pieces of the skull together will finally give way and the skull can fall apart!

For degreasing, I used to put the skull in Coleman fuel for a couple of days and then wash with soap and water, rinse it, and then to the whitening process.

I never had a problem with that method.

Good luck!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, maybe I am goofy but I dont particularly like PURE white skulls. As they yellow, they just seem to get a lot more character to them. I was at The Manial Palace yesterday looking at King Farouk's old hunting trophies and the aging skulls were actually quite nice. Aside form the 186 gazelles and probably 15 or 20 Nubain Ibex shoulder mounts, there was a really nice (and incredibly heavy) Greater Kudu skull mount there and a Lord Derby Eland skull mount that was also breathtaking ... but they looked every day of their 50 years. COOL!

A shiny white skull mount is like a hunting rifle with no scratches and a perfect blued finish. Nice, but just not right.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your recipe is incomplete, your supposed to piss in it to kill the taste.... thumb

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote