THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Man sentenced for attempting to illegally import leopard trophy

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man sentenced for attempting to illegally import leopard trophy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Man Sentenced for Attempting to Illegally Import Big Game Leopard Trophy

Last update: 6:08 p.m. EDT Oct. 17, 2008
WASHINGTON, Oct 17, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Jerry Mason, of Frankfort, S.D., pleaded guilty today and was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Denver for a false statement he provided to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) in an attempt to illegally import a leopard hide and skull from a trophy hunt in South Africa, the Justice Department announced.
Mason pleaded guilty to a one-count information charging him with a violation of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) enforceable under the Endangered Species Act and Lacey Act. He was sentenced to pay a $10,000 fine as well as a $10,000 community service payment to the congressionally-established National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. Mason will forfeit the hide and skull and also was sentenced to a term of 48 months of probation during which time he will not be allowed to hunt or accompany anyone on a hunt anywhere in the world.
According to the plea agreement, Mason traveled to South Africa in August 2002 to hunt leopards while guided by a South African outfitter named Jan Groenewald Swart who was doing business as "Trophy Hunting Safaris." During the hunt, Mason shot and killed a leopard even though he knew at that time neither he nor Swart possessed a valid permit. Because the leopards were killed illegally, Mason was not able to legally obtain a valid CITES export permit from South Africa. In order to import the hides and skulls from the leopards into the United States, Swart purchased fraudulent permits in Zimbabwe, and Mason provided false information to USFWS.
Swart arranged to have the hides smuggled from South Africa into Zimbabwe, where he purchased fraudulent CITES export permits for the leopard hides and skulls. Mason then submitted applications to the USFWS falsely claiming that they hunted and killed the leopards in Zimbabwe. On Nov. 5, 2004, USFWS inspectors seized a shipment of five leopard hides and three leopard skulls at the Denver International Airport, which included the hide and skull of leopards that Mason killed illegally in South Africa in 2002.
Leopards (Panthera pardus) are listed on Appendix I of CITES. CITES requires that prior to the transport of any part of an Appendix I species from one country to another, an export permit from the country of origin (or a re-export certificate), and an import permit from the country to which the specimen will be shipped, must be obtained and accompany the shipment. The CITES authorities in South Africa set a yearly quota on the number of export permits issued by that country for Appendix I species, such as leopards. These permits are only issued for leopards that have been killed with a valid hunting permit.
On May 21, 2007, Swart pleaded guilty to smuggling charges in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado for his role in the illegal hunts. Swart is currently serving an 18-month prison sentence. Mason, along with Wayne D. Breitag of Aberdeen, S.D., was indicted by a federal grand jury on Aug. 6, 2008, for violations of the Lacey Act, a federal wildlife statute.
The investigation of this case was lead by Special Agents of the USFWS. The case is being prosecuted by the Environmental Crimes Section of the United States Department of Justice and the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Colorado.
SOURCE U.S. Department of Justice
http://www.USDOJ.gov

Copyright (C) 2008 PR Newswire. All rights reserved

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I suspect this practice has been going on for years. About 3 years ago, a South African PH/ outfitter offered me R10 000 per leopard to export them from Namibia. i told him to go to hell, or something like that!

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody snitched.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
wonder what happened to his buddy, Wayne, who was also indicted?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somebody snitched.

Jetdrvr

Using "snitched" kinda makes it sound like you condone the importation of poached trophies. I hope I am mistaken.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was too light a sentence. If some fat cat knows he can get off with 20 000 US it will just keep on happening.
Lets hope it has been directed back to the Outfitter too as this cannot be condoned

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
Somebody snitched.

And personally, I applaud them.

There are plenty of places that will happily sell you a valid leopard permit, and plenty of ethical PHs who will happily guide you to a legal trophy.

This was a poaching ring, plain and simple.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10398 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I would gladly "snitch" on someone who would do this sort of thing.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
Somebody snitched.

And personally, I applaud them.

There are plenty of places that will happily sell you a valid leopard permit, and plenty of ethical PHs who will happily guide you to a legal trophy.

This was a poaching ring, plain and simple.

And I second that 100%. There is so much skullduggery going down in these parts these days that it's sickening. This is not flippin boarding school - we are talking about the preservation of our wildlife resources so they can be enjoyed by generations to come. I applaud the snitcher, US Fish and Wildlife and all hunters/operators who continue to hunt ethically and within the bounds of the law. I hope that one day there is a thorough investigation into what has taken place in Zim the past while.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I reported on this a few years ago.. I was going to speak to Swart in Pa. at the Eastern sports show and when I got there all around his booth was subdued chatter.. I asked the outfitter next to him, where is Jan? and his answer was, " you missed him by 5 minutes... he was arrested and cuffed and taken out by authorities and USFW agents..."

A friend of mine almost booked a hunt with him and that is why I went to speak to him... Checking him out...

David well said...

Mike Eeker

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote