Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.zimbabwesituation.c...servancy-the-herald/

Govt acts on Save Conservancy

Posted on April 26, 2016 by ZimSitRep_

Source: Govt acts on Save Conservancy | The Herald April 26, 2016

George Maponga Masvingo Bureau

Government will soon make a final determination on the future of the lucrative Save Valley Conservancy in line with the wildlife-based land reform policy as it can no longer tolerate a situation where the sector remains a preserve of a few whites, Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa has said.

Wildlife-based land reform opens the door for indigenous blacks to be directly involved in the wildlife sector.

He said this last Friday in response to an appeal by Masvingo Provincial Affairs Minister Senator Shuvai Mahofa during her tour of Nandi-Arda Estate in Chiredzi, that the province wanted black players in the Save Valley.

Sen Mahofa said there was need to ensure black players returned to Save Valley after Government withdrew hunting permits from scores of indigenous players.

VP Mnangagwa said he would ask President Mugabe for permission to visit Save Valley to have an assessment of the situation.

‘’We will visit Save Valley in the near future and I will ask President Mugabe for permission to visit the conservancy because we want to bring closure to the problems that are there. However, I want to make it clear that we cannot accept a situation where an area is said to be an exclusive territory for white people, that cannot happen here,’’ he said.

‘’Indigenous black people should also be involved in operations at Save Valley and we will take a decision that makes the majority of our people happy.

“The decision that we will make at Save Valley will surely make others happy while others will be sad but that will be the obtaining situation that will not change.’’

He said the remaining crop of liberation war leaders led by President Mugabe wanted to leave all the country’s natural resources and heritage in the hands of Zimbabweans.

“We cannot have an area that is said to be a preserve of white people only. Black people should also benefit alongside white people because this country is ours,’’ he added.

Sen Mahofa said the Masvingo provincial leadership wanted indigenous players to return at Save Valley. She said beside benefiting from the lucrative conservancy operations, blacks would also guard against looting and externalisation of resources.

‘’The issue of indigenous black people being involved in operations at Save Valley is also a security issue because we need our people to be involved and partner whites so that our wildlife is not stolen and illegally taken out of the country,’’ she said.

‘’Indigenous blacks who qualify should be given hunting leases to run operations at Save Valley because we cannot have a situation where only white people are benefiting,’’ she added.

The Minister, who was among bigwigs whose hunting permits at Save Valley were cancelled, said indigenous blacks kicked out of the conservancy should also be considered in future allocations at Save Valley.

Government cancelled Save Valley hunting leases for several bigwigs, mainly from Masvingo, after declaring that most of the beneficiaries were in possession of farms elsewhere allocated under the land reform programme.

Save Valley was incorporated into the parks estates run by the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority.

However, white operators are still at Save Valley especially those whose properties are protected under Bilateral Investment and Promotion Agreements.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
when compared to the tobacco industry, coffee farming, corn acreage, wheat production, livestock revenue or the wine industry of commercial agriculture in zimbabwe

the humble, low return, save valley hunting conservative was economically invisible, obscure, not even one drop in the ocean of wealth and productivity

now it is the low hanging fruit, all that is left to plunder

all that is wrong with zimbabwe

just like a bad marriage, involving a greedy, selfish, unthankful, unworthy, fat, lazy, grasping, malicious,dishonest partner

A country can take a lot 0f killin, it takes extremely bad governance to render a nation cold and starting to stink.

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had hoped this was over.

This lady was involved in the takeover of Savuli.

I wanted to go to Sango next year and take my wife. Those plans may have to change.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sad to say but Zambia is benefitting from all this crap.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is another sad and disgusting story from Zim.
The families that built the SVC will lose their last vestiges of what they built.

I love how it's the "Indiginous" people that will protect the wildlife and assets when it's this same people who tear down the fence to make snares!!!
Disgusting.....

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This woman is apparently quite controversial. According to press reports, she was poisoned last year near the end of a ZANU-PF conference.

Hard to say whether this is real or she is just mouthing off.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
Folks, I have been on the ground and i believe all is moving in the right direction. For the first time we have had the VP and minister of environment as well as the german and EU ambassadors down to listen to the communities and members of the SVC. All questions from the stakeholders were answered. SVC has pushed for many years for the Chiefs and communities to be beneficiaries of the SVC. With ongoing international pressure on hunting zimbabwe has recognised that they have no option but to implement a new wildlife policy that will be recognised internationally, encourage investment and benefit communities . It has come out loud and clear that without communities being beneficiaries then poaching and encroachment will continue.My guess is if not then i very much doubt any funding will come this way.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that's very good to hear!
Thank you for giving us a live update Guy
Your family and the Duckworths ( and others) have done such tremendous work there for so many years

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muhofa is a rabid dog who's been involved in poaching and other criminal activities, and the Herald is the government propaganda mouthpiece. Zim just celebrated its Dependence Day, so there's a lot of propaganda flying around. Think Guy is right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear there might be a glimmer of hope in this pending tragedy. The Save is an amazing place, with diverse topography and spectacular wildlife. My wife and I hunted at Sango last August with Thierry Labat, what a great experience. Although I think Thierry could find game at a shopping mall.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Trouble with posts like this is that it could sway the decision of good folk from hunting in Zimbabwe.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear you. I am supposed to take my wife to Sango in July of 2017. If things are heating up over there, there is not a chance in hell that will happen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I've been corresponding with Gary Duckworth/Mokore Safaris. He feels this is just more political rhetoric and seems to think that on the ground everything will go forward as normal.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote