New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gifting rifle to PH in Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had planned to give a rifle to a PH friend in Zimbabwe. He has applied for the proper permits in Zimbabwe but the new customs export process from the United States has derailed my plans. Has anyone shipped a rifle from the US to a citizen of Zimbabwe. I would really like to make this happen. Thanks in advance for your help!
lb

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Rifles are controlled under ITAR - you will need an export permit from the State Department. I suggest you enlist the services of a professional exporter.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in the San Diego CA area. Any recommendations?
lb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
Rifles are controlled under ITAR - you will need an export permit from the State Department. I suggest you enlist the services of a professional exporter.

Are we all not going to be weapons exporters with our EIN, AES and TIN numbers Cool

I need to go sight in my rifle and focus on the packing list.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe is on the list of countries that firearms can not be exported to. We can export to any surrounding country I believe. Obama must be mad at Uncle Bob.

There is a provision in ITAR where a US citizen can gift a rifle to someone in a foreign country without obtaining an export permit, but you can only do it one in your life time. I came across it while researching this new cluster F***. It is well buried so I will to copy and paste for you.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Google High Bridge arms in San Francisco. They import and export and can fill you in on all the details. Ask for Lauren.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't export a firearm to Zim, what difference does it make. A guy I know was called by some government agency about his dealings with someone he went on a safari with, asking about the guy's activities re guns into Zim. They are watching this kind of thing. Drop the idea.

Posts: 20156 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
If you can't export a firearm to Zim, what difference does it make. A guy I know was called by some government agency about his dealings with someone he went on a safari with, asking about the guy's activities re guns into Zim. They are watching this kind of thing. Drop the idea.

+1

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I found it again.
Go to ppddtc.state.gov
In menu bar on left click on licensing
Then click on guidelines and instructions
On list of PDF's click firearms guidance
Scroll down to page 10
Instructions are there

I double checked, the only arms allowed to Zim are ours, hunting rifles, and for temporary export only.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Temporary Export means you must bring it back with you. Leaving a gun in any African country is always a bad idea, no matter what a PH tells you; just because he does everything right on his side - and how would you know anyway - doesn't mean you can meet all the USA legal requirements for permanent export of a firearm. This is nothing new, BTW.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll drop the idea!
lb

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
It has been quite a few years but i asked for and recieved permits to send rifles to 2 PH's in Zimbabwe. One got it and one didn't. The process was so involved that the first one went out promptly but the second one took so long the PH who was to recieve it had his permit to buy canceled and this was at a time when Mugabe was not issuing any new permits. By the time he got his permit the Customs in Zimbabwe had sold the rifle to another PH. I always think the other PH did some hanky panky to get it. This was under the once in a lifetime permit. It involved the U.S.State Dept,The Dept of The Army and I think the Commerce Dept and I had to get a letter from the Zimbabwean Ambassador to the U.S. stating it was ok to do. All in all it took a couple of months ,many phone calls and a lot of prayers. I eventually gave the second PH a rifle but this time I had Sabi in So. Africa build him a 500 Jeffry which after much wrangling on his part he finally got. I think that's probably the best way to do it today and Sabi really builds a nice rifle.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Average cost to have a rifle exported, including freight forwarding (shipping) is $850 to $1000.

Some countries may vary. Canada is a lot cheaper.

That is just the export cost; the other side of the equation is the import costs where the rifle is received.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LB:
Thanks guys. I'll drop the idea!
lb

Alternatively let him find what he needs in Zim and you pick up the tab? Preferably something with one barrel.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gifted two rifles to a mate in Nambibia a few years ago.

It was very easy from my end, the Australian government loves seeing firearms leave Australia for good.

It wasn't too difficult at his end as he had a dealers license.

Zimbabwe? I wouldn't get involved in that though.

Leave him a nice tip instead.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair

YOu still owe me a visit and shoot some guns mate.

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
luan

any word on Aubrey?

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luan:
Blair

YOu still owe me a visit and shoot some guns mate.

Luan

Luan,

I do indeed mate and drink some Scotch with you and that rogue Rudi.

Trouble is I've got a girlfriend who loves Europe; so I'm torn, la "chatte" or hunting! Big Grin

I can't afford both..........

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi sean

NO word on aubrey hope everything worked out on your side.

BLair

MY dad say if you cant go hunting you work to much or leave the miss

LUan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote