Notify
Tools

Your favorite Africa hunting quote
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gentlemen:
As you do, I love to read anything Africa. My two favorite quotes are Ruark's the buffalo looks at you like "you owe him money." The other is the beginning of a Capstick chapter, "The man who was about to die..."

Just curious, what quotes stand out in your mind from the Africa books you have read?

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
“I walk up to the buffalo, the grand old bull, that black killing machine, and I give him the choice of how to die. No one, NOT A SINGLE PROFESSIONAL HUNTER, living or ever lived, dares do this. I am Mark Sullivan, known the world over as the Mark of Death!” rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
WOW - you two are off to a good start today!

Actually , Cal, I remember very little of such writings, much as reading a comic book for entertainment.

Buff are one of a variety of bovine and some are more aggressive than others. They are all capable of doing harm to critters of lesser stature. Best thing to do is avoid them or kill them.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
"Buff are one of a variety of bovine and some are more aggressive than others"

Very good quote, and true too.

Lots of us love hunting buffalo, not because they are dangerous, but because hunting them is fun.

I don't believe all the bullshit about the danger of hunting.

Things can happen, and one should accept them.

But in hunting?

Sure, sometimes things do not go to plans, and again, it is part of life.

But, certain idiots make buffalo as the devil!

get close to them and that will be your end.

That is why these individuals carry VERY BIG GUNS! clap

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
WOW - you two are off to a good start today!

The never ending saga. . . . . . . rotflmo clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not strictly an african hunting quote, but it applies:
"you have faced the test and you have not been found wanting."

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love hunting buffalo more than anything else. My favorite quote is also from "Horn of the Hunter" but a bit more obscure.

Virginia is sitting by the fire late at night reading a book when Bob and Selby come dragging into camp, scratched up and filthy.

She takes a single look at them and comments, before they say anything: "Buffalo again. Idiots!"

Count me among the idiots. I know it, but I'll do it again, and again, as long as I'm able.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great line!

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
“More important than the gun is the man behind it.”

— James Mellon, African Hunter

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That book is sitting on my shelf in my home office, but haven't read it in years.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It is dated, but fascinating, and observations like the one above will always be true.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

Great value for money.

I purchased one of these hardback copies which I still have, in the late seventies.

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

Best quote there is.

Ultimately means many idiots should stay home, instead of playing “Ph” or silly clients! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my PH "Everything in Africa is either horny, thorny, or charges.".

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A friend said “everything in African can kill you. From mosquitoes to elephants!”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very famous and factual Kenyan quote from the '70s was:

"Are you married or do you live in Kenya"

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
It has always been my belief that one of the things that makes hunting and fishing so special is that on any given day things can happen to you that you will remember for the rest of your days. Very few things in everyday life are like that.”
— Lamar Underwood, The Greatest Hunting Stories Ever Told, 2000

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I had a farm in Africa" Karen Blixen

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
From My Last Safari - Ruark

“I guess we’ve tied the ribbon on it,” I finally said to Selby. “I guess we’ve wrapped it up.”

“We never did shoot that biggest Buffalo in the Masai,” Selby said. “And the Masai is kind of on the way home too.”

“I don’t particularly want to shoot him,” I said. “I just want to see him in the Masai. I’ve grown accustomed to the country.”

“It has a way of growing on one,” Harry Selby said. “It’s a pity we don’t own it anymore, isn’t it?”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not from a book, but this August while tracking a kudu bull my daughter was the first to reach a two track. As she stepped out on it she saw a barred cobra stretched across it. “What’s that?” She said. Richie Schultz’s answer was succinct, “Shoot it!”

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Not a quote from a book, but the words whispered by my PH on the morning of my first African hunt: “There’s your bool (bull). It was a 40” Gemsbok bull approaching our blind from 400+ yards to our front. A 224 yard shot from my Winchester Model 70 in .300 WSM dropped him in his tracks. We ate his backstraps that night cooked over mopane coals. I

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about an old American Indian quote...
"Get close as you can, then crawl 10 yards closer"

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I walked up to a Tanzanian General and asked him why he shut down the airport as the rain had stopped an hour ago..His reply was"BECAUSE I CAN"
My reply was "gotcha" and I moved on..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Myles McCallum, as we got out of the truck and set off on the track of a tuskless cow,
"Dick, this is the most dangerous thing you will ever do..."
Whether it was or not it was a wonderful quote.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
This is Africa

I need some money for a coke. Or buy me a Coke.

I’ll make sure your gun makes to next flight.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one from long past on one of my first African hunts: I was hunting with Clinton Rogers when we came across a large snake. My memory says it was a black Momba and being fascinated by it I simply had to photograph it. Clinton was nervous about how close I was getting to the snake and I could tell he wasn't terribly thrilled about the whole thing.

After the photo shoot I asked , "Clinton if I do get bitten how would we treat it. Is there anti venom available?"

His response was " There no anti venom close enough to do you any good. If you get yourself bitten we will treat it by putting you in the shade. I will get you the coldest beer we have and a pen and paper and I will instruct you to write your farewell letter to your family!" I have been a little more cautious in my dealings with African snakes since.

And my most resent: I am a bit of a fan of the old 400 Whelen and used it again on this last trip. After seeing Wildebeest Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Wart Hog, and Buffalo shot with the 400, he looked at the cartridge and stated " the 400 Whelen is bloody well more than adequate for anything in Africa".

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
“I loved this country and I felt at home and where a man feels at home, outside of where he’s born, is where he’s meant to go.”

— Green Hills of Africa: The Hemingway Library Edition by Ernest Hemingway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drongo,

I don't like killing snakes, unless perhaps they are in camp. This past year, a tracker came running up and said he had seen a snake. The word he used equated to a mamba, but the PH said it was likely just a cobra. We went on our way. Wouldn't have mattered which species it was. In the bush, I won't kill a snake except in self defense. Seen lots of snakes, but fortunately, with the exception of a couple of aggressive mambas, they didn't want any more to do with me than I wanted with them. Never had to kill a snake in Africa.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have heard the "shade, 'pat' of paper & pencil" response regarding Mamba bite. Thought it was hilarious at the time especially since my hunting buddy was overly TERRIFIED of anything that slithered or crawled. He wasn't too keen on the stuff walking around either.

Another incident, same trip and hunting buddy. PH says, "look - there's a duiker." Short while later PH notices his client is not behind him and looks around to find him hiding behind a tree about 4 inches in diameter looking very scared. PH asks him "what's up?" Client responds "I didn't know they have Tigers in Africa."

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Drongo,

I don't like killing snakes, unless perhaps they are in camp. This past year, a tracker came running up and said he had seen a snake. The word he used equated to a mamba, but the PH said it was likely just a cobra. We went on our way. Wouldn't have mattered which species it was. In the bush, I won't kill a snake except in self defense. Seen lots of snakes, but fortunately, with the exception of a couple of aggressive mambas, they didn't want any more to do with me than I wanted with them. Never had to kill a snake in Africa.

In general, I agree with you. But when you are 6 hours away from a third rate hospital any potential snake bite is a serious matter. Anyway, I have one rule regarding PHs: I do what they say without argument when a potentially dangerous situation arises.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The only interesting rifle is an accurate one.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A young hunter asked the oldtimer why he bothered to drag along the heavy .600..

" Well you see laddie...cause the dont make a bloody .700..!"

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's one by Neil Murray...."The elephant often charges to the accompaniment of a blast of high pitched trumpeting caused by forcibly expelling air form its trunk which sounds like an orchestra of outraged demons.
Except perhaps for the prospect of imminent hanging, there can be few situations that concentrate the mind more wonderfully."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True! Had a tuskless cow charge this year. It wasn't a bluff and she was very vocal. Fortunately, we were in the car and in a place we could drive.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple over the years from PH'S.

While heading to the camp fire after a long day, I noticed a small snake about 24" long and a little thicker than a pencil working it's way up a small tree by the pathway. I head back to my tent and secure my camera and head back to the tree trying to find the small snake the little sucker blended in just like a tree branch. As I find the snake my PH comes by and asks what I am doing. " AHa, he is not poison's, just leave the snake alone" . I was bumped as I was taking the picture and it was not in focus. When I returned home I looked up the snake to find out is was a vine snake.

Another, PH about 30 years my junior, tried to think we were on a foot race walking after game. After a few days of walking across the various hills and river beds, my PH says if you would put your binoculars down you will be able to keep up. "My Job is to find them your job is the shoot them" "

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

“I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I was not happy.”

Hemingway

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Ken Wilson and Peter Capstick did an audio recording that was available on cassette tape. It was pretty campy, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of listening to it. PHC made sure to get all of his most memorable quotes into the conversation.

When I am approaching an animal, or even when I am just out hunting, I hear PHC voice saying: It is the dead ones that get up and kill you."

I love that line and the way PHC delivered it.

Say what you will about the man, but for all that PHC wasn't, there are few who have touched as many lives as he has.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
“He was a legend in his own lunchtime.” Nigel Theisen — expounding on personalities in the hunting industry when being inquired about by clients.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
This was never written down in any old hunting books but it is a modern quote that is used by some local b marlin wire men and bear guides.

"If you are going to be dumb, you better be tough!"

Posts: 518 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt.Purvis:
This was never written down in any old hunting books but it is a modern quote that is used by some local b marlin wire men and bear guides.

"If you are going to be dumb, you better be tough!"

That is brilliant. I can see where that can apply to the Unconvinced.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote