THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    7mm Rem Mag for Leopard and plains game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem Mag for Leopard and plains game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would the 7mm Remington Magnum be a good choice for Kudu, Eland and Leopard? Would prefer one load for all

Posts: 766 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I hand load 175 g Nosler Partion and has worked well, I have not shot a leopard with it but put the bullet in the right place and it will work fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7 Rem and 175gr Partition has accounted for a lot of what I have shot in Africa

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yep. 7mm mag will work with the right bullets placed in the right place.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have used the 7mm Rem. Mag. on African game, including kudu, hartebeest, waterbuck, warthog and other medium sized game.

I have sat in a leopard blind with a 7 Mag., but didn’t get a shot. I switched to my .375 H&H Mag. (it had a more suitable illuminated reticle scope on it) and ended up killing my leopard with it. I am sure the 7 Mag. would have done as well.

I like and have used a .375 H&H Mag. for bigger stuff, like eland and sable. I love how those big 270ish grain bullets penetrate.

In fact, in later days, I have used a .375 Mag. for all plains game. It is just so well suited to it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
Would the 7mm Remington Magnum be a good choice for Kudu, Eland and Leopard? Would prefer one load for all

I would be rather wary using it on Eland.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

Why?

I have killed many eland with several 270 wildcats.

Using bullets from 130, 140 and 150 grains.

Range was from 200 to over 500 yards.

No problems whatsoever!

I have also shot many leopards with various calibers.

270, 7mm, 338 and 375.

All died.

And I have never noticed any killed any better.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why?

Saeed,

The 7 Rem Mag will definitely do the job but it is not a caliber for all to be able to accomplish the perfect shot due to the relatively light bullet and the Eland's fleshy body mass, hence my suggestion of "being wary".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it would kill an eland under ideal conditions, but seems a bit light to me as well. The animal weighs a ton. I'd think a 300 to 400 grain bullet would work better.
My limited experience with elands, they fell easily to 400 grain Swift A frames.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I'm sure it would kill an eland under ideal conditions, but seems a bit light to me as well. The animal weighs a ton. I'd think a 300 to 400 grain bullet would work better.
My limited experience with elands, they fell easily to 400 grain Swift A frames.

I have no idea how many eland I have shot, with all the calibers I mentioned above.

Non performed better than any of the others.

Use the right type of bullet, place it in the right place.

End of story.

No idea how one kill anything more than dead! clap

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the right bullet, yes.

I wouldn't go lighter than 160 grains and would prefer a 175 grain Partition or A-Frame.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife took her only Leopard in Zimbabwe with her Ruger Express 7mmRM, using a 150 gr. Winchester Ballistic SilverTip at 50 yds.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes. Will work. I have used that calibre on eland, zebra, wildebeest and small antelope. All one shot kills; not spectacular, bang-flop, but dead anyway. Place the shot correctly, and you will be fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot one eland with my 7mm RemMag. The distance was 160 yards, and I used a 168 gr Barnes TSX. It certainly killed him, but a short pursuit and a second shot put him down. I would have much preferred my 375 with a 270gr TSX bullet, but I had the 7 in hand when the shot presented. The PH was looking for camp meat and instructed me to shoot the bull behind the shoulder instead of through it. In hindsight, I should have shot the bull through both shoulders to anchor him. Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking away elephant and buffalo......I've made more meat with 7mm Rem Mag than anything else.

I've killed everything from Bull giraffe to Texas piggies.

Barber 168 and 180grain vlds! Most were DRT.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
None of the animals mentioned are very tough. The 7 Mag is a great round with the right bullet. If you had Sable in there you might get a different answer. But you don't.

Almost any "deer rifle" will work if you do your job. Yeah, even a 308. Not my top choice but if its the only camp gun, I'm going hunting.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
None of the animals mentioned are very tough. The 7 Mag is a great round with the right bullet. If you had Sable in there you might get a different answer. But you don't.

Almost any "deer rifle" will work if you do your job. Yeah, even a 308. Not my top choice but if its the only camp gun, I'm going hunting.

I have shot dozens of sable with 270 caliber rifles.

Again, never had a problem whatsoever!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its not for nothing that the minimum recommended caliber for Eland is in the .300 class even though in some countries' game laws the minimum legal requirement is .375

Using the term "to be wary" does not imply negativity towards a 7 Rem Mag or decrying its efficiency, but rather an indication that the first shot has to count unless you want to participate in the fun & games to follow and the possibility in losing the animal.

If Bell could take out elephants with a 6.5mm there was a reason.