Notify
Tools

Scope talk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
Interested in opinions-

for a 375 to be used for PG and DG (buff & leopard)

Would you choose

1. Leupold 2.5 power in a one inch tube

2. Schmidt & Bender 4x in a one inch tube

3. Leupold 1.5-4 1 inch tube

I know for leopard many used a lighted reticle, wasn't a problem for me to do without on my first leopard.

I did hunt PG before with the 1.5-4 and found in the late daylight hours I didn't get a lot of light to see game in the scope.

I will add that I like the idea of the smaller leupolds for balance and general appeal on a DG hunt.

Any comments welcome (I think).

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Of those choices I would go with the 1.5x4, but personally would rather have a 1.5x6x30mm, or 2.5x10. I know most guys think that is too much, but if you use it on 2.5 most of the time, that's not much off the 1.5 bottom end, but on a 200 yard PG shot or a precision shot on Mr Spots, being able to crank it up a little would really be appealing.

Those don't have the look appeal of the smaller scopes though. Against the grain, I like magnification.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post

Hey there, I just picked up a new Swarovski 1.5-6x42 from Doug (an AR member: gr8fuldoug) at Camera Land NYC for $799. It is the rail mount so you have to spend another $100 on the Swaro Weaver mount or the Ruger M77 mount. This is about 1/2 of retail I guess because Swaro has discontinued the rail mount scopes. I think Doug has the illuminated for something like $970 or so. I really like the rail mount, nice and clean with no rings. It is great to get a Swaro at Leupold prices.

http://www.cameralandny.com/op...?page=swarovski57036

I have a Leupold 1.5-5x20 and I love it. But for evening time the Swaro 1.5-6x42 might be a better choice. Yes it is bigger, but if you get the rail mount, you don't have the weight of the rings, right?

If money was no object, I would get a Swaro 1.7-10 Z6 illuminated scope for a .375 H&H or a .416 Rigby.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
J:

Also, Doug has free shipping on the scopes.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me the Swarovski Z6 1.7-10 is the finest hunting scope known to man.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
I used a Zeiss 3x10 with a lighted reticle on my Leopard in the Zambezi Valley in 2008 with awesome results.

Posts: 111 | Location: Jackson, MI USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, especially for Plains Game, I would agree you need a bit more scope, at least objective size-wise, if not magnification. I love the Leupold LPS 1.75x6x42 30mm scope, but the new Z6 Swaros are hard to beat if you want to spend that much.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I have the same Swaro 1.5-6x42 (30mm tube) rail on my Ruger .375 H&H. Although I only hunted PG with it, I think it would be great on DG too. I was creeping through some bush-bush with it on 1.5x and felt very comfortable if I needed a snap shot.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Oh, if I had to replace it for some reason, the Z6 1.7-10 mentioned above would be the bees knees...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
For me the Swarovski Z6 1.7-10 is the finest hunting scope known to man.

yep

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep my scopes as light weight as possible on my big bore rifles to minimize the Moment of Inertia under recoil to my scope and rings (I'm not talking about .375 H&H level power).

I think the 4x is a bit much for keeping both eyes open in a bad situation on a DG safari.

Take two scopes. One ideal for PG (on the order of the Leupold 4.5-14x40 nice size) and a 1.5-5x20 for the DG. Or one scope either 2.5-8 or 3-9. The tube body has to be long enough to cross a big action without extensions. The Zeiss Conquest has good length.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kahles 1.5 X 6 X 42 on my 375 Weatherby and think it about perfect.
I would agree with the above posts on the 1.7 X 10 X 42 Swar. Z6. Nice scope. I know Bass pro still has the Z6 1 X 6 X 24 for $999.00. At least they did last weekend.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need the lower magnifications because of the wider field of view.

I have the 1.7 X 10 Swarovski on my 416. It replaced the 1.5 x 5 Leupold I used to have on it.

The Swarovski is clearer, gathers more light, has higher magnification and more or less the same field of view.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
1. Leupold 2.5 power in a one inch tube
This is what I use on both my 375s. No doubt this would be my choice for buffalo with some plains game thrown in. I love this scope but I would not use it for leopard.

2. Schmidt & Bender 4x in a one inch tube
This would be a great choice for plains game only, or plains game and leopard. Not my first choice for buffalo.

3. Leupold 1.5-4 1 inch tube
Good choice for buffalo and plains game. Not my first choice for leopard.

I did hunt PG before with the 1.5-4 and found in the late daylight hours I didn't get a lot of light to see game in the scope.
I believe leopard would magnify this shortcoming.

I will add that I like the idea of the smaller leupolds for balance and general appeal on a DG hunt.

I love them for the same reason. Unfortunately these benefits don't mean much in a leopard blind. Leopards are one of the few places I would want to have one of those large, cumbersome, high-magnafication scopes.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
+1 for Swaro 1.5-6x42 in 30mm tube.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a 375 H&H or a 9,3x74R double, IMHO, and it is what I use, a great scoe is a Swarivske 1.5 to 6x42 with an illuminated reticle.

You have low power for up close, you have 6x for distance and even target identification up close, the illuminated reticle and the 42 mm objective for low light shooting. Also the scope is not too big..

I would also recommend S&B in the same power range, again with the Illuminated reticle.

The NEW Swarovski 1.7to 10x42 would be great as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

I actually have one of these but have not used it, thinking it was part of my stash- you know, if the world goes to hell, you need a little cash, some gold, food water, lots of ammo as basics, then some nice scopes to trade for gasoline & coffee.

Guess I'll have to pull it out of the plastic...!

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold Euro model 2-7 with a 30 mm tube is also a good choice and much more affordable.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

Not a Swaro but I do have a Docter 1.5-6x42 on my 375 H&H with QD mounts. And yes I'm very happy. Big Grin

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:

I actually have one of these but have not used it, thinking it was part of my stash- you know, if the world goes to hell, you need a little cash, some gold, food water, lots of ammo as basics, then some nice scopes to trade for gasoline & coffee.

Guess I'll have to pull it out of the plastic...!

Stay right where you are. I will be there shortly with two pounds of coffee and I will take your car to the station and fill the tank and get the oil changes to boot. The time has come to barter that scope off.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both my 375s have 2.5x8 Leupolds. Shot my Leopard at 35 yards in Namibia at dark 30 (I couldn't see the bait with my naked eyes it was that dark) without the aid of a light. Dead right there. A few days later shot a Zebra at 241 yards with the same rifle. The 2.5x 8 is that versatile.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was glad to see eezridrs mention that he has a Kahles in 1.5x6. I happened to have used a Kahles in 1.5x4 - and shot a buff at 30 or so yards with it (I'm vague about distance because despite best efforts, the PH and I couldn't establish the distance any better than something between 30 and 35 yards) I happen to have been a Stateside lover of the Leupold from long experience -but got such unsatisfactory answers (evasive) at a gun show when asking about a Leupold on a 375 (in terms of recoil) that I went to a gunsmith who recommended the Kahles. I never regretted following his recommendation. I hasten to say that my experience at the gun show about Leupold was back in '92. I'm glad to see that many posters like it on the 375 nowadays. As someone who never shot at a leopard (regretfully) I would think that a shot at a leopard requires as much light gathering capability in a scope as possible. I gather from the posts that the Leupold holds its own in that regard today. Glad to hear it.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
A Swarovski 1,5 to 6 x 42 is what tops my .375 H&H too.

I have used it at our big bore shoots with success, and this is a shoot that generally favours iron sights.

A few friends & their sons use my rifle. They are shot-gunners of note but new to BASA shoots. They cracked top scores from first time out so there sure is something about THESE Swaro's...... thumb

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Leupold 1.5 x 5 VX 3 on my 375 for Cape Buff and it worked out very well.
I have the same scope on a total of three rifles.
Great for up close and plenty for longer ranges
with a good rest.
Can't go wrong with it ( IMHO )

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Swarofski 1.7X10 Z6, have it on my 375 H&H and it worked great on plains game and close up shots. Will be putting one on my Breeding 416 Rigby and with the illuminated 4AI reticle is perfect.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I think the 375 is better served with a scope larger than the low end Leupolds. The 2.5, 1x4 and 1.5x5 just do not have the magnification or light gathering ability for a general purpose rifle like the 375. I've used every one of these and always found them lacking. I think a 1.75x6 or the 2.5x8 are better choices. Both my 375's wear these scopes and they have been perfect for my puposes regardless of what species I've hunted.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 3.5-10 x 40 on one .375 and a Zeiss Diavari 3-9 on another. A 2.5-8 would work as well.
I've had enough low powered variables and fixed scopes to know that they are not for me.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've had the same scopes that Mark has suggested on my .375's and they've worked beautifully. Right now, one of them has a 3.5X 10, with an illuminated reticle, on it. The other one still carries the 2.5X8.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
In my mind...only one good choice for all you want to do...Leupold VX III 2.5 X 8 with duplex reticles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37892 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
quote:

________

Stay right where you are. I will be there shortly with two pounds of coffee and I will take your car to the station and fill the tank and get the oil changes to boot. The time has come to barter that scope off.

Big Grin

Looks like there is a consensus here for more magnification and light gathering.

If leopard is off the menu then the smaller Leupolds or the 4 powers should be just right?

Josie Wales 1866