New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Mamba in the Blind
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Talk about some scarey shit. Read the semi-live Leopard Bowhunt at this site. Read Day eight and watch the video

http://bowsite.com/menu.cfm?State=Texas

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Wow! That would not be fun!

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Wow!! That's chilling...

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
You can bet I'll visit that site tomorrow!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I could barely sit still in my chair to watch the video. Sheeze!!!

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
The shootgun sorted him out good

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a f****ng moron.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
I just sent that link to my mom and dad. She got upset when dad hunted buffalo this year with Driess Sr because it was "too dangerous". Can't wait to hear what she thinks about the danger level now of plains game hunting!!

Thanks for sharing - I loved it.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FEET!...Don't fail me now!!!!

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No way, no way in hell I'd have ever survived that snake crawling accros my feet. I'd likely have gotten nailed when I jumped for the door the second I saw the damn thing. And I'll guarundamntee, I wouldn't have been jobbing that snake with any 3' stick--or a 20' stick!

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
No kidding. I would have has a panic attack the second that snake slithered across my foot. IF I survied getting out of the blind, I would have walked back to camp, screw the radio

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got that right! That radio would still be there if left up to me!

one of us
posted Hide Post
To hell with the mamba, I am out of there!!
Fantastic story, I will be back

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
A 10 foot snake????

Quote:

An hour ago in the audubon guide I learned that he was the fastest snake on earth, carried a huge quantity of perhaps the most deadly venom on earth (both a Neurotoxin and a Cardiotoxin)

Most deadly on Earth, I don't think so! Not even remotely in the top Six.

I think the crew were playing around with this guy at the end of the day.

Interesting little stories though and good website.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by NitroX....
A 10 foot snake????

Most deadly on Earth, I don't think so! Not even remotely in the top Six.

Well, deadly.....?

Most venomous? Certainly not in comparison with some of the Australian elapids....or some sea snakes. Nor if deadly means number of annual deaths attributed to this snake.

But this snake, in the conditions and surroundings described and photographed, certainly was in position to use all the attributes that make it a deadly reptile. Speed, agility, size, aggressive when cornered, capable of repeated strikes with copious amounts of fast-acting venom. More than ample to take the measure of this hunter.

There are more than a few more venomous snakes that wouldn't have been as dangerous in similar circumstances. That's at least a top-six deady encounter.

I think the crew were playing around with this guy at the end of the day.

There was obviously a lot of "playing around" after Mr. Mamba's head was severed from his body.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Snakes, by nature, are not very aggressive - at least that has been my own experience.

We saw a black mamba walking on the track ahead of us. We jumped out of the truck and got close to take photos of it. It just kept going. We got closer and closer, trying to get it to stand up. It absolutely refused to to do so, and just kept moving.

We shot a buffalo and were waiting for the truck to come. Alan heard a puff adder, which was less than 10 feet from us. Again, we got lots of video and photos of it as it kept moving. We got in front of it, and it just turned to the side and walked next to us.

When one gets one very close to him, I suggest the best thing to do is just remain still.

A bit difficult to do when you see a black mamba on your own feet though

Posts: 68694 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

A bit difficult to do when you see a black mamba on your own feet though

I'll second that!!!!!

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt it I will ever bow hunt again, I dont want any of that to rub off.

Its a wonder the snake didnt run up that stick like a race track. I've seen chicken snakes come up a hoe handle, so I know a mamba can and I never even met one, if I did I would have s.......it myself.

That snake could have had the radio and ever thing in that blind, I'd have walked my ass back to camp.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Still I would not want one in a hide with me.

Saeed's comment about snakes not necessarily being aggressive. This may sometimes be true but there are times when they can be very aggressive such as the mating season. Some species are worse than others. Still they will usually try to escape rather than attack. An "attack" is often the snake just trying to get away.

I don't believe the snake was 10 feet long. A snake always looks long when it surprises you.

Most snakes also can strike up to 75% of their body length so a 6 foot long snake can strike 4 1/2 feet. One reason trying to deal with them with a stick may be foolhardy. A long post digging spade works well and a shotgun with birdshot (not "buckshot" as in the story) is better. I believe there is a species of snake that can strike more than theirbody length ie using their body as a spring, and some such as the spitting cobra (or mamba?) can spit venom as well often at the eyes.

The only good snake is a #### snake.'

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I know, is as if the account wasn't hair raising enough, seeing the video of it crawling up the wall was enough to have my heart racing.

I think his account made the situation seem a little more dangerous then it looked in the video. when it was coiled up in the corner of the blind, it appeared the hunter could make an easy get away.

As far as length, the PH held up the tail and there was still snake laying on the ground. So if the PH was let's say 5'8" or so and could raise his arm an additional 2' above his head, we have a conservative length of 7'8" of snake off the ground. 10'? Who knows, but it was plenty long enough to give me a heart attack.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx , that was great to see.

Posts: 151 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Looks like he arrowed his leopard yesterday.

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the PH said the most deadly snake in Africa, I may be wrong. Just what I need to see while getting ready to hunt Leopard out of a blind in a few weeks, but that is what it is all about. I have only seen a couple of snakes and as Saeed said they were not aggresive.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snakes!!! There are still a few (actually plenty) of things in Africa that I haven't seen, but one of the only things there that I hope I never see is a Black Mamba! I don't want pictures of one; I don't want to be able to tell folks I saw one! I DO NOT want to even see one! I've been employing the 6 minute hill for the past few weeks for an upcoming mountain hunt. I've seen (almost stepped on) 2 smallish rattlesnakes in the past 1 1/2 weeks. It's a good thing I'm not hunting now, because I can't get my eyes off the ground in front of me while I hike! I wouldn't see an animal if it was standing 30 yards from me in the open! Bah Humbug on snakes!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes! Great story that I might not have believed without the video.

Thanks for sharing,

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope Russ doesn't see this.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While bow hunting in a similar blind last year, I noticed a spider. The PH told me he was deadly poisonous. Nothing like a Mamba though.

Last week I was scouting for Pronghorn in ND, and I found the largest Praire Rattler I've ever seen. He was around 4 ft. long with 10 or 12 rattlers and was green in color. I've never seen a green rattler before.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JD--said rattler IS dead, right?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Arts: I just took a picture and let him go.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote