THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Barry Burchell ~ Frontier Safaris at DSC ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barry Burchell ~ Frontier Safaris at DSC ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted
Hey buggers
Just heard my old friend Barry Burchell had a booth at DSC ?

I also see that he's advertising Heavily in SCI.

A simple google search will tell you this is not the guy to be hunting with. Illegal paperwork, trophies confiscated, arrested in the US with an illegal leopard skin?

Can anyone confirm ?

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
This guys name cropped up just yesterday morning within a small group of folks who have no hunting affiliation whatsoever.

Not one of them, and they were all people I met for the first time, had nothing good to say of Barry, or his father for that matter. Mentioned how he had packed up his home overnight and skipped to Namibia, prior to the sheriff of the court arriving to attach property the very next morning !!

I can't confirm or deny the facts in the matter, save to say we hunters are aware of his hunting ethics, or lack thereof.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
SCI has a problem with letting in unethical hunt purveyors. It appears DSC has the same problem.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave: Could you give a bit more info, please, such as company or outfitter name? I have searched and am not finding this name as an exhibitor.

Karl
quote:
Originally posted by leopards valley safaris:
Hey buggers

A simple google search will tell you this is not

the guy to be hunting with. Illegal paperwork, trophies confiscated, arrested in the US with an illegal leopard skin?

Can anyone confirm ?

Karl Evans

Posts: 2897 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Karl,

Frontier safaris 962

I will watch Harrisburg to see if he turns up.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
A recent court case against Barry, he was cleared.
Barry's father recently passed away, I think the result of a motor vehicle collision. It does no good to speak ill of the dead.

Hey there Mr.Davenport, mind who you are calling buggers. I will have you know that I am a straight up and down "hetro!!!" dancing Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Dave: Could you give a bit more info, please, such as company or outfitter name? I have searched and am not finding this name as an exhibitor.

Karl
quote:
Originally posted by leopards valley safaris:
Hey buggers

A simple google search will tell you this is not

the guy to be hunting with. Illegal paperwork, trophies confiscated, arrested in the US with an illegal leopard skin?

Can anyone confirm ?

One just cannot help to love what DSC!

Instant reaction to solve a problem that had cropped up!

Thank you Karl beer

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68644 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike: If I had paid attention to the subject line I would have known that...my fault Dave. We will look into this.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2897 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Frontier had a booth at DSC. I didn't see Barry there when I walked by. I hunted with Frontier way back in 2000 on a Tony DaCosta Huntpak. Traveled all over South Africa on that trip and met a great PH who became a good friend and who I have hunted with a number of times since. It was a mill though with hunters constantly coming in and out of his main camp. Way back then I didn't know any better and actually had quite a good hunt...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He definitely had a booth at DSC, and I did see him sitting there visiting with people. Before I booked my first trip to Africa last year, I visited with him at DSC. It sounded too good to be true, and upon returning home and doing research on him and his outfit. Seeing the pages and pages of litigation he's been involved in, I dropped him off my list as fast as I could. No way would I hunt with this guy.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted back in 2003 with these people in Namibia, had a few minor problems. It only took a few words with Mr. Burchell Sr to get things straight. Took nice heads including a Damar Dik-Dik. Don't know if I would have hunted with them again. At that time Cabela's was their main booking agent. It was my second hunt booked thru them and my last ever. Cabela's have great gear but not so good booking shop.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Thanks Mike: If I had paid attention to the subject line I would have known that...my fault Dave. We will look into this.

Karl

No probs, thanks for the attention.

Scriptus, good to know Big Grin

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barry had two 40,000 dollar hunt donations, each hunting with a celebrity, Mr. L Weishuhn and Craig Boddington...for both DSC and SCI. All of you that think that DSC is so much more "holy" than SCI make me laugh! Looks like they both enjoy the same donations!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and I went to Namibia and Hunted with Frontier Safaris back in 2005. It was my first African experience....and also nearly my last. We had booked the hunt for 17 animals for a 11 day hunt-booked with Don Crane of Safari Outfitters.
To say it was the worst hunting experience of my life would be accurate. I could list dozens of details of why Frontier Safaris and the Burchell's are crooks in my opinion but it would not do much other than support other reports. Don Crane and Safari Outfitters (at the time) in my opinion were not much better than money grabbing liars and thieves, and certainly would not step on their relationship with Frontier Safaris to support their client (me) and do the right thing.

In the end my son and I got 9 of the 17 animals we paid for, and most of these were shot out of the back of the farm truck at a different 10,000 acre ranch in one day. To this day I am embarrassed about shooting out of the back of the truck, but at the time did not know what else to do, being my first trip to Africa and having my 14 year old son with me.
Also, it took nearly three years to get the trophies back

My advise for what it is worth - stay away from Frontier Safaris or anything to do with the Burchells, far away

FYI - At the time after about 2 years Cabelas dropped them like a snake due to all the complaints
Not sure if Cabelas picked them back up or not, if they did shame on Cabelas. As for Safari Outfitters, I am sure they will still book them. However they will never see any of my money

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote