Find
Notify
Tools

Book recommnedation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted
I'm interested in a basin guide to hunting Africa that includes a description of game animals, where they can be found, and what to expect from outfitters.

Any suggestions?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pm sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really liked the African Hunter II book for a general all around knowledge type book for African Hunters.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
African Hunter II and the Safari Guide by Safari Press are both very good (editors are the same for both books...Boddington and Flack who are as qualified as any for this). If you are looking for info to base a hunt off of then I would recommend Safari Guide first.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just read "Safari Guide" by Peter Flack. This book is very basic and I would recommend it for a first time African hunter. "African Hunter II" is a far better book. Also, I highly recommend the "Perfect Shot" and the just published "African's Most Dangerous" both by Kevin Robertson. I consider these the bible books for African hunting and Buffalo hunting.

You will find most books regarding hunting concessions and PHs are outdated information. Africa just changes too quickly. I suggest using the AR web site and ask all of your questions to the members of this forum. I have found that the information here is much more valuable and accurate(no pun intended) than any book out there. In addition, any false or misleading information is quickly rectified. I do not think that there is any better source of information than the AR web site.

I would also suggest going to SCI Dallas or Reno. You will met most of the worldwide PHs and get a better sense of African Hunting than from any book.

PS. Disclaimer: I have hunter Africa only once and will be returning April 2008. There are far better and more knowledgeable African hunters on this web site.

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatly I'm going to miss SCI in Dallas. Thanks for the recommnedations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
For general guides Boddington's African Experience is not bad. Another good one is by Swan, but I can't remember the exact title.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Swan book is "Hunting Africa", we have them in stock

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
If it's your first time--- The Perfect Shot ---
is awesome.

Very informative and enlightening.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote