THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    skinning knives - for africa - and anywhere else ...my choices
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

skinning knives - for africa - and anywhere else ...my choices
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
I am sorry if you thought you would see pictures of elaborate hunting knives … you wont !

I see lots of people with a slightly disappointed look on their faces as I tell them I am going to get my roll of skinning knives and as I open it they see the following.

After years of carrying all the fancy skinning knives , great sheath knives and all manner of tools and equipments for sharpening , I have completely simplified my gear and even when hunting here stateside , I just take three kuhn knives and a Stanley knife ..

In our line of work we cut into literally hundreds of animals in a year and having knives that are easy to sharpen , cheap so if you lose them it doesn’t matter and easy to get are all very important factors …

Heres my list

Two craft knives , the Stanley carpet cutting type …these are perfect for making the initial cuts , weather whitetails , elk , wildebeest, buffalo or elephant , if it’s a thin skinned animal just extend the blade a very short way , for thicker skinned a full extended blade for a deeper cut , as the blade gets dull , simply replace it , its 20 bucks for 100 blades !!!

I use “russel international” paring knives P94816 these are awesome for boning , fleshing and general skinning , they sharpen easily , and cost less than $4 each , their blades are stiff enough to do fairly heavy work too …I always have at least 6 of these …heres the link

http://www.twinsupply.com/prod...p?prod=31610&cat=821

I have three russel international boning knives , P94817 – Great knives that work well on larger animals for getting big chunbks of meat off , cutting and gutting etc , again the same steel that sharpens easily and once again these are very cheap ….heres the link

http://www.twinsupply.com/prod...p?prod=31613&cat=821

then I also have a half dozen kuhn non stick paring knives that I keep in my backpack , the difference is that they have a plastic sheath so don’t cut into my gear …they are also bright colors and so you don’t lose them in gut piles , leaves etc …

http://www.kuhnrikon.com/produ...ls/tools.php3?id=210

I have a very very simplified sharpener , just the fact that I have cheap and easy to sharpen knives means that these guys do an excellent job , you wouldn’t want to use them on a good quality knife though.

then in my pocket or pack or on my belt I always have either a bladetech or a benchmade folding knife that’s very sharp , I sharpen those with a steel and use them as little as poss , they come in handy when we kill something very far from the truck and have to cape or dress it in the field …

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
I like function over form. I once handed a Schrade skinning knife to a South African skinner, and became nauseous as he sharpened it on a rock. From now on, the nice cutlery stays in the States! The sheet rock knife should come with a bone handle, though...

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smart choice experience breeds wisdom. The box knife is a great idea.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The box knife is a great idea. Just don't try and carry it on the plane! Eeker Ivan: I thought that you had an Ivan Carter signature knife that was made by one of the knife companies, no? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The box knife is a great idea. Just don't try and carry it on the plane! Ivan: I thought that you had an Ivan Carter signature knife that was made by one of the knife companies, no?

UEG- they wouldnt writre a big enough check my friend Big Grin dancing

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying paring type knives and a boning knive such as you list for many years...

I always get laughed at;now I can justify this by pointing out your post.A guy on TV recommends it....its got tobe allright. Wink

Dinsdale

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of people running to Sears or Home Depot after this thread (myself included)! I own a Chris Reeve Skinner and love it but recognize that skinning in real VOLUME necessitates something much more practical (and inexpensive).

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the simple tools are the best.

These blades that fit in the above utility knifework well for gutting without puncturing anything.

I use a scalpel for a lot of skinning for taxidermy but for splitting lips and thinning areas of the face I usually end up using this complicated tool:

You can buy plastic handles that will hold them. If you use it enough you get used to just holding them in your hand. Cheap, easy and throw away when they get dull.

The Victornox paring knives that look very similar to the russels posted by Ivan are also great for the money.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
I see a lot of people running to Sears or Home Depot after this thread (myself included)! I own a Chris Reeve Skinner and love it but recognize that skinning in real VOLUME necessitates something much more practical (and inexpensive).

Home Depot sells a plastic orange utility knife that I have been gutting pigs with for years.Cheap and easy to clean,takes a standard blade.

Actually a box cutter uses a single edge razor blade,a utility knife a pointed blade as shown above,and a carpet knife a thin hardened blade with a slot down the middle...The carpet blades are very popular in the states with taxidermists to turn ears and lips for fleshing.

They are three different tools.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Victornox paring knives that look very similar to the russels posted by Ivan are also great for the money.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY

grafton , i used the victorinox at one time , they are about the same price but the blades are a lot thinner and less rigid that the khun and russel and i found they broke and bent on heavy work ...

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan: If it ever happens, let me know, as I would HAVE TO HAVE AN IVAN CARTER SIGNATURE KNIFE for my extensive knife collection. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My idea about hunting knives changed a great deal after a taxidermist came to hunt moose with me in Alaska. We talked about gear and he said he'd bring several skinning knives.

The moose hit the ground and then the work started. I pulled out my moose prep bag with about $1,000 worth of cutlery in it and the taxidermist comes up with a bunch of Victornox $5 pairing knives. I'm thinking WTF but after watching him work I was impressed.

Since that moose hunt I've taken dozens of those paring knives to Africa and given them to the crew. They are always well received.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I carry close to the same arrangement. I carry 2 5 in. Forschner skinning knives and also a couple Frosts knives made in Sweden that are cheap 10$ and the same kind of draw sharpener 8$ work very well for everything from duiker to hippo and ele. Then if you need to go bigger use the pangas and shokas on the truck... I also carry on my person usually a Cold Steel folder and a Master Hunter if, I need to cape something in the field... sorry I dont have pics... dont know how to post them... cheers

Posts: 60 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well there goes my idea of bring my OGG custom made knife CRYBABY

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Havalon Piranta-Z-Black

Our Price: $35.00
Please check out the Havalon knives at www.huntersheadquarters.net
Click on Knives and Tools
The outfitters from BC next to my booth at DSC said they could skin 3 moose with one blade. You get a dozen blades with each knife.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
+1

That's what I use. Check these out Ivan. The only thing I'd reccomend is putting locktight on the screws. Other than that they rock!!!

Brett

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Disposable box cutters and some cheap carbide sharpeners is probably all that's needed.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Here is the ticket for sharpeners. These are great to pack for giveaways.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
our skinner in Zim in 05 used a box cutter on everything, it was the only "knife" he used. From gutting a cape buffalo to turning ears on an impala...box cutter did it all. He had a broken piece of a whetstone to sharpen it with.

I showed him how to take the cartilage out of the kudu ears, which he then did on all my heads...with the box cutter....

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to take a moment here to announce that Ivan and I are starting a new business venture. I purchased a Dremel tool and a gross or sheetrock knives, and will be taking orders. For a modest fee Ivan will be inscribing them for you all.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
There is a hooked blade for the box cutter knife that will cut through buff hide like butter.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using paring knives for skinning for years, and also box cutters. I learned that trick from an old hog hunter o=in south texas years ago.....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The cost of razor blades is cheap. Love it.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Great for game dismantling and general use, the box cutter. Cheap, handy and does well for many applications. Just ask some of the inner city kids who carry them. Or the vermin who used them on 9/11. Eeker Mad

I've used disposable scalpels with good results on a couple occasions as well.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never have taken a knife to Africa. Only the Leatherman multi-tool.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
been using the box cutter since the self inflicted knife wound in 07
still carry a straight bladed knife
(old habits die hard)
mostly for my horse use
hard to cut a horse wreck loose with a box cutter

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always found it humorous when hunters carry expensive knives that they prance around and have hernia if someone touches. Whats the point? (excuse the pun). They never get used except to brag about the price and quality, as the owners are terrified they might get dull, or sharpened incorrectly. They essentially become functionly useless tools that are failing to do what they were intended to!

I have a an uncle that would crap his pants when his expensive knives were used to cut tomatoes, because the acid would damage the fine steel... Roll Eyes

The irony is that while many hunters make a scene about their expensive fine knives and "oh I never let anyone touch this knife" their expensive trophies are being skinned with ratty Okapis or old cheap knives and the 'show pieces' remain exactly that.

MJMines, I really like those Speed Sharp tools too!

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the "Piranta Z" It's the only knife I use for skinning and turning lips. You can buy a box of 100 replacement blades for about $35.00. I've been doing taxidermy for over 20 years. Best thing I've ever used.

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kayaker:
MJMines, I really like those Speed Sharp tools too!

I took a bunch and gave them to trackers, driver and skinners. They were sharpening everything with them, not just the knives but even using them to sharpen demus and axes.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is the ticket for sharpeners. These are great to pack for giveaways.

thanks for that mike , i just ordered half a dozen ...

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
then I also have a half dozen kuhn non stick paring knives that I keep in my backpack , the difference is that they have a plastic sheath so don’t cut into my gear …they are also bright colors and so you don’t lose them in gut piles , leaves etc …

I see I can get these in fuschia, now my wish has finally been answered... :-)

One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
Interesting, mine is even simpler. One large Moore Made stockman's knife and a hard Arkansas stone. If you want really good and inexpensive as gifts for skinners, try here

http://www.ragweedforge.com/

look at the Frost and Mora knives.

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Never have taken a knife to Africa. Only the Leatherman multi-tool.

Which has a knife as part of its makeup. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time, on my way to Zim, for a Safari, I found myself with TSA and they wanted to Look in one of my my Tuff Paks.

As I unloaded it for them, they had no problems with the 2 Drillings, or the 29 lbs of ammo....

But when I got to the several dozen Box Cutters, and the the 3000 extra blades, I remarked to the head TSA Guy... This does not look to good does it???

He chuckled and said, "No it does not, but there is probably a good reason"??? What is it!!?.

When I explained how in Africa they use a "box cutter" to cut the skin of giraffe and elephant into manageable panels, he said "OH I see". Lucky for me he was a hunter... AND a retired Police Officer...

I repacked the TP,shook his hand, and went back to the gate and boarded the plane...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Dianova produces the best knife sharpeners to be found anywhere:

http://www.dianova-ab.se/engelska/default1.htm

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell Green River 5 or 6 inch curved skinner. I bought a box of 10, about $10 ea. in bulk, to my PH in Namibia. The skinners were very happy, these knives will sharpen well on the flat rock they used for sharpening.

At home I use a Buck General (model 120), 7 inch blade, reasonable cost (I got two at a garage sale for $40 for both), tough as hell, holds an edge very well. Good for skinning and dismembering large animals like elk. You can pound on it with a rock or ax, if it does snap off at the hilt a bit of tape and you still have a very useful knife. I also got a couple of cheap little knives from RMEF as a sign-up bonus that turned out to be really great skinners. For skinning out heads I still use a Buck 3 blade trapper I've had since I was 8.

I had a neighbor that made beautiful (and expencive) knives, great to look at but what's the point if you're afraid to use it!!

I tried the box cutter, worked great, however; blood and gack got into the workings and froze (probably not an issue in Africa...) Then I had to snap the blade off to put it safely back into my pack. Then I forgot to clean it and the extra blades rusted from the blood that soaked the whole thing.

I've tried several folders but they always get full of gack. Best one is a Cabela's Pocket Butcher Shop with a blade and saw/gut hook and a skelatonized handle that cleans out very easily.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love a good knife,, I have many I have collected over the years, many very expensive. The first time I picked up a disposable "stanley" type knife was to clean a feral Hog. The guys at the ranch I was hunting on bought them by the case. I get them at the building supply here for 80 cents a piece, when the blade gets dull, a new tip can be made by snapping the old tip off, about a quarter of an inch and you are back to sharp instantly. Pigs grease up and dull a knife quickley so that is what I use now for the feral pigs. When the blade is "used up" I throw it away and pull out another one. I save my "real" knife for the occasional deer I shoot. When we shoot a bunch of pigs,, sometimes 10-15 a day,,, we spent most of the time sharpening knives,, this speeded the process up a great deal.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
I also have a half dozen kuhn non stick paring knives that I keep in my backpack , the difference is that they have a plastic sheath so don’t cut into my gear …they are also bright colors and so you don’t lose them in gut piles , leaves etc ……

Ivan, I take some of the plastic sheaths off of the Kuhn's that I leave at the house and put the parring knives in those sheaths, they don't fit tight (because they have a thinner blade) so I take a piece of duck tape to secure them in the sheath. I've used the victornox for years and your right they are flimsy, I'll try the russels, thanks.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
those Kuhn knives are the nuts! I use them in the kitchen and have boned a few deer out with them. They stay pretty sharp and are dirt cheap--good recs Ivan!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote