Find
Notify
Tools

Distances in Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted
May 2009 is rapidly approaching and it's time to file for rifle permits. For those of you experienced in Namibia with kudu, hartebeest and the like, is it reasonable to consider a self-imposed range limitation of around 200 yards?

I'm not 30 (or even 50) anymore and have the typical set of disintegrating body parts that now includes my shooting shoulder. When I went to Zambia in '99 a .375 was no big deal; now I can just barely manage a 9,3x62 and am much more comfortable with (and attached to) a single shot .303 (215 Woodleighs at 22-2300 fps).

The experience of hunting Africa is more important to me now than body count or trophy size. I could probably lug both rifles over there, but for simplicity (and tonnage!) would prefer to take only one. Am I an idiot for considering the .303?

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
200 yds is no problem in Namibia. You will have opportunity for longer shots, but no one could reasonably say you have to take them. Nor could they say that you will not get many, much closer, opportunities.

A .303 would be just fine in my opinion.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
If you dont hunt in the Kalahari you dont need to shoot over 200 yards. I took my mountain Zebra just over 200 meters but we could had gotten closer if we wanted.

Springboks in the Kalahari thats another story.

I took all my animals in Namibia with my 375 HH and 350 grains woodleighs.

Anton

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost anywhere you hunt you should have ample opportunity at 200 yd shots and under, sometimes much under, but, that said, you will increase your chances if you hunt in an area that has more riverine or brushy habitat than in the more open desert areas. I can recommend Otijikoko Farms represented by Geoff (handle on AR) Hashimoto. Reasonable prices, good people, quality game, and riverine habitat which can present plenty of closer shots. This is in the Omaruru area, and there are many others similar. Key is ask about type of hunting terrain that is common on area you will be hunting.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW IMO the .303 is perfectly adequate for the average size plains game animal with quality bullets matched to the cartridge. My son took 6 animals with 165 gr TBBC in a .308, all one shot kills. It ain't how big or how fast it is, within reason, it's where you put it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GS Custom 140 gr HV

Steve
check out the link above.
The 140 HV in the 303 should give you about the same performance as the 130 in the .308
i hunt everything with the 130 gr from 50m to 400m with this load on everything from duiker to eland.

In my opinion the 140gr HV turns the 303 into one of the best all round plains game rifles around.
For more info on the HV concept please take a look at this page. It is a different outlook on bullet performance and the bullets speak fr themselves in the results they obtain. GS Custom HV Bullets - The New Rules

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I hunted the area around the Brandberg in the Tsiseb Conservancy. The shots were very long, and I had to work hard to get shots at 300 yards or under.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to keep shots under 200 without much problem. My Zebra wa sat 150, Kudu was 225, and Gemsbok was at 375. However I also had oportunities at several Gemsbok in the 36-37" neighborhood at 75 yards, and also had a 50" Kudu broadside at about 60 yards for about 10 minutes. I took a .375 H&H loaded with 270 TSX's, but would have been just fine with my .308 also.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by csxcs:
story.

I took all my animals in Namibia with my 375 HH and 450 grains woodleighs.

Anton

How did you fling 450 Grainers out of the .375?

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
it should say 350 grains - i have 450 grains in my 416 Rigby. Sorry.

AD

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where are you hunting in Namibia?

North = brushy = 50-150 yard shots
South = open plains = 150-300 yard shots

Of course, there are open places in the North which allow you longer shots and there are stalking opportunities and riverine brush in the South which allow you shorter shots.

Sure, your classic .303 is plenty of gun, but it would be wise to keep shots well within 200 yards considering its somewhat rainbow-like trajectory compared with higher velocity rounds.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I took Kudu, Gemsbok, Warthog and Steenbok at 150 yards or less but my Zebra was at 300 yards and the Kalahari Springbok was at 270 yards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some of what i shot...

Hartman's Zebra 175 yards
Gemsbok @ 250
Both in the Khomas Hochlands.

North of Gobabis about 2 hours heavy bush and sand, I shot a Kudu at 35 yards.

The first Mountain west of the Kalahari shot my largest Kudu at 250

Shot over a Kudu with the PH's gun... Decided there that I would only shoot my own. Distance was 350+

Baboon 30 yards.

Gemsbok south and west of Windhoek about 40 minutes @ about 75 yards. He was absolutly pole-axed. But then jumped up and ran off over a mountian and then we lost him. Shot when too high. We couldn't even find blood. It was an embarassing and weird deal.

all animals killed (except last gemsbok) with 9.3x62 and heavy bullets - one 270 grain the rest 286 partitions.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Anything I shot in both my trips in Namibia was inside the 280 meters range, even if I had occasion to test rifle up to 400 meters.
I did not have any problem with 9.3x62 during my first trip (286grs Noslert Partition mainly used), I did not have problems with 7x57M during my second trip.
Enjoy your trip.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to one and all and Waidmannsdank to Stefano! Now it's time to walk the treadmill to death all winter and practice, practice, practice field positions with the rifle.

It (practice, not a .303) worked last time:

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bpesteve,

For more reference here is a list of the trophies I took on my 2006 safari in Namibia (about 100 miles SE of Windhoek) measured in yards after the shot with a rangefinder. 200 yards will be no problem and the 303 with the right bullet is perfect. Don’t psyche yourself out over the cartridge; you already know that shot placement is 98% of the equation. I shot a 300 Weatherby with 200 grain Trophy Bonded and had outstanding success.

Good luck
Paul

Trophy Distance-Yards
Blue Wildebeest 174
Warthog 60
Warthog 156
Kudu 180
Oryx 200
Springbuck 105
Eland 105
Oryx 180
Red Hartebeest 360
Red Hartebeest 150
Springbuck 178
Hartmans Zebra 100

High 360
Low 60
Average 162

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All my shots were under 200yds, with some low crawl, of course. Used a 300H&H with old Leupold 4X.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bpesteve,

Just acquired a double in .303 British and plan to use it on everything in Namibia with the 215 gr. Woodleigh bullet. Will be using the iron sights so all shots will be under 125 yds.

Was out at the range yesterday to begin to work up a load. Used IMR4831 and got nowhere close with 39, 40 or 41 grains. The last had the composite group at more than 3-1/2" at 50 yards Frowner. Unfortunately, the chrono was not working at my bench position and too many were there to be able to change position.

Next effort will switch to IMR4350 and start at 41 grains. Expect this double should regulate at about 2050 fps, but we'll see.

Grateful for comment on your powder/load. PM me if you'd rather not have details in public.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year I shot eight animals in Namibia and my longest shot was 135 yards. Used a .375 H&H with 300 grain Noslers on everything and had one shot kills every time.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Tim - PM sent. Iron sights and range discipline, my hero!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one else has said it so I will....Ask your PH what the likely distances are in his area for the animals you are interested in AND let him know your limitations in the same breath.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
RVL III, excellent advice for any guided hunt.

Now, if I could only remember two thoughts in one sentence anymore... Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than springbuck, I never took a head of game in Namibia over 200 yards.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
WHOOO that a mbogo!

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote