New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ghost in the darkness
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any of you seen this movie? I think that is what it is called. I was just wondering what rifle the colonel guy was carrying in it. It was a bolt-action of sorts, in some smaller caliber, but i couldnt figure out what it was.

NH_Hunter

Posts: 97 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I never saw the movie because I frighten easily and have a nasty tendency to shoot back when scared. However, in the real world version of the story, they were dispatched with a .303.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
That was a great movie.I especially liked the part where he exchanged his .303 Enfield rifle with the doctor's "big gun",only to have it misfire. I like being able to see them here in Chicago at the Field Museum. In today's world, it is hard to believe all the problems they caused a century ago.

Posts: 9488 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Great movie...and I read the book an original edition 10 years before the movie...I still like the movie...

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is Ghost and the Darkness. About the Man-eaters of Tsavo when they were building the "Lunatic Line". The movie does not follow the book written by JH Patterson, the one who actually killed the lions and was the major player in the event.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
"The Ghost and the Darkness" based on Col. Pattersons book The Maneaters of Tsavo. Good Movie but the real lions were almost maneless, not as pretty as the ones in the movie. The book is a good read at least up to the point the lions are killed, kinda drags on after that.

CFA

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The movie was okay until the wholly fictitious and asinine Michael Douglas character intruded.

Hollywood is never willing to let the truth be told, but must always "enhance" it with utter bullshit.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I own the Movie. I enjoy watching it, but the Remington character is a little over the top. His rifle is nice. I like the classic rifles used in the movie, but must say, after seeing a lion at a friends trophy room, I will be bringing a nice big cannon when I go after shumba.

Can someone explain what that "lever" is on the side of Col. Patterson's 303. I can't figure out what it is used for, ejection maybe?

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
I own the DVD and watch it sometimes.. That Michael Douglass guy really ruins it for me...

Is that lever some cocking device?

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magazine cut-off??

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hear here about Michael Douglas. The movie maker has the viewer in another world 3/4 the way through, and then Michael Douglas strolls in, and it's just another cheesy movie from there.

Michael Douglas was not in the book, which enjoyed a lot. I liked the engineer stuff he was essentially there to do. Good solution to moving large rocks. Now I want to try that for putting in a second-floor gun safe.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree completely with Michael Douglas' part in the flick. Pretty bad and total fiction, as was a lot of the other parts of the movie. The lions in the movie were full maned lions, and as an earlier post shows, the real ones were maneless. Hollywood butchers another one.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As if to add insult to injury, I believe Mr. Douglas is on the NRA list of people that donate to anti gun/hunting causes. I enjoyed the movie as well, except for his character. I have yet to make it to the Field Museum to see the actual lions, even though I only live three and a half hours away. My daughter is going to school over there next fall and I hope to make it then.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The lions in the movie were full maned lions, and as an earlier post shows, the real ones were maneless.

Perhaps no maneless lions showed up for the casting call?

Wonder if anyone noticed that the band on Kilmer's hat was also different than the one he wore in the book. Totally ruined it for me. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Like others I think Douglas in the role of Remington really let the movie down. My best guess (and being generous) is that "Remington" is perhaps a combination of minor characters from the book who at various times attempted to take the lions or played other roles in the over all story.

It would be interesting to know why the script writers thought the originnal story needed changing so much.

Getting back to Douglas, didn't he direct or finance the film as well?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It would be interesting to know why the script writers thought the originnal story needed changing so much.

You answer your own question.

Quote:

He just had to write himself, and an American, into the hero role of the movie.

Otherwise they probably thought it would not sell.

I thought the "Remington" character was totally ridiculous and almost destroys any enjoyment of the movie.

BUT I think the machan scene, hey don't you have nightmares sometimes where that happens but you always wake up before the lion bites .....

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post

TSK, TSK, TSK! That was a tacky statement, and wholely uncalled for! What is this animosity for AMERICANs? We are in the same boat with Aussies, only difference is, you are still a Britt possetion, and we kicked the Britt's asses, and sent them home!

I think, just like all actors, he simply had to be in the movie. I would assume it is an actor's ego thing, rather than an "AMERICAN" thing! I'm an American, and I find the Remington character to be HOLLYWOOD, and like most things they do, it only blurs history!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

TSK, TSK, TSK! That was a tacky statement, and wholely uncalled for! What is this animosity for AMERICANs?

Mac

Before getting paranoid and on your high horse, it is a well known "fact" in the non-American movie production industries (or at least believed to be) that movies with only "foreignors" (ie non-Americans) do not sell well or as well in the USA.

The original true story I believe did not have any American "characters" whatsoever and the Poms, Indians, Africans managed to kill the lions all by themselves. But you are right "Hollywood" does not believe this would be possible

Having the fictious yank as a hero is probably intended to be a double "benefit" I guess from a money making point of view. He could have been a junior sub-engineer from urban New York who was eaten in a rather gory and pathetic manner but that wouldn't have worked I think. And Michael Douglas can't act that well out of his usual roles so playing eg a pommy wouldn't have worked and as he was a "producer" and couldn't drop himself from the cast, so they/he invented this rather ridiculous 'Remington' over-acting "hero".

I can't help it. I say it as I see it!

Australian movies made in Australia with mostly Australian casts if intended for the US market usually import the "token" yankee actor for the purpose.

Mac - you need to lighten up. You've been reading too many of Saeed's Pan-Arabist Anti-American posts!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
PS If Hollywood still had the likes of Charlton Heston they could have done away with both Douglas and Val Kylmer and casted Heston as "Patterson" and ran the original story true to form (even if Heston could never get rid of his accent).

one of us
posted Hide Post
You're absolutely correct Nitro.
We once had the likes of Heston, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, William Holden, Glen Ford, and so many others who could just suck you into the movie spellbound.
What do we have now? Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon? Please.
I think movie makers here don't trust the audience to be interested in the actual true stories which are much more interesting than what the writers come up with. They also don't trust their movie stars to actually act, because they usually can't.
The actual per capita numbers for movie watching in the US have been going down steadily for the last thirty five years.
So, is that a magazine cutoff on the side of the Lee-Metford? I don't know anything about those rifles.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Mac - you need to lighten up. You've been reading too many of Saeed's Pan-Arabist Anti-American posts!

I was light! Doesn't anyone around here notice the grins, winks, and happy faces in a post??????????

Personally I like Aussie Movies a lot better than the current crop of computer generated crap coming out of Hollywood. the departure from history ruined the film for me, but not because he was an American, but because it wasn't the way it happened!

As far as reading Saeed's posts, I do, when they are in a hunting forum, but I have no use for any of the political crap writen any place, or by anyone! I come here and to all web-sites for only two things, talk about hunting, and posts in regard to firarms, nothing more. BYE!!!!!!!!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Mac

A lot of computer generated crap is now coming out of Sydney eg Matrix I, II, etc plus others.

I agree on the lack of need for political discussions here.

JohnCharlieNoak

If you searched for previous discussions on the Ghost and the Darkness you will probably find all your firearms questions answered. The topic has come up several times and everything identified. Tried a search myself but my PC decided to freeze up.

I believe there was also a Faqhuarson single used by Kilmer in the movie (or was it a Martini)? A search will tell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nitro.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Forgetting all the Hollywood crap, you have to respect Mr. Patterson's ability to supress fear. How many of you would set yourself up in an elevated log hunting blind, in the middle of the night, and wait for a man eater?
I read the book, and that sequence of events chilled me.
I'm not sure I could have done it.

If you havn't read the book, by all means do it. Soooo much better then the Jollywood version.

Roger QSL

Posts: 1409 | Location: S. E. ARIZONA | Registered: 05 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Australian movies are my favorites!

I especially liked Quigley Down Under, and I just watched Crocodile Dundee again last night...

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, that elevated stand is a machan, which BTW was the standard hunting blind and method for taking tigers until tiger hunting was discontinued around 1968.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Nitro,
what were Matrix I and II about? I saw them both on TV and I still don't understand what they were about.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carrie Anne Moss in a tight black leather jumpsuit. That's all I remember.
JCN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Yep, Michael Douglas bought the script rights and his company in partnership with HBO are the ones to produce the film. He wanted a part in the film so he had himself wrote in. Part of the Golden Rule, he who has the gold makes the rules. To me the part of Remington sounds more like that of J. A. Hunter. The question I have about the film is what cartridge is it that Val Kilmer is stuffing into that Lee Medford? With that sharp shoulder and pointed bullet it sure isn�t a .303 British. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I especially liked Quigley Down Under, and I just watched Crocodile Dundee again last night...

Your American women sure wear strange undergarments when walking in the bush. A thong one piece swim suit - ouch! But nice to watch.

I also mentioned Paul Hogan earlier as an 'fine' example of 'Australian culture'. (said tongue in cheek)

"Crocodile Dundee" is based on a real person, I believe Rick Ansell who alledgedly was crocodile poaching and marooned in a remote estuary when his boat capsized possibly by a croc. I remember Parker Hale in the UK giving him a rifle as one of his only tools in the bush was a Parker Hale rifle plus some ammo. Later he ran a station and I think an NT hunting camp. He died in a shoot-out with the NT police during a large man-hunt. An notorious and infamous character.

Mattrix

Movies where the women (nicely) wear tight leather pants nd shirts and the men wear long dresses.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hey Nitro,
what were Matrix I and II about? I saw them both on TV and I still don't understand what they were about.

Geronimo

Geronimo, if you think you didn't quite understand it, you have to go watch the third Matrix movie.

Then you'll be certain that you don't understand it!

I just sat back and enjoyed the special effects, and quit trying to make sense out of it...

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote