New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEGENDARY HUNTERS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got this email from Outdoor Life. Very interesting read. I hope its not a dupe. I did a search and nothing came up/

http://www.outdoorlife.com/pho...ers?cmpid=enews20111

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Ben Lilly was an effective hunter for sure. He almost single handedly erradicated the bear and mountain lion from Texas.

Some of the old men in my family knew him and spoke of him when I was a child...as my family were houndsmen too.

There are a couple of real good books about him...read them both multiple times as a kid. The Best...Ben Lilly's Tales of Bears, Lions, and Hounds; edited by Neil Carmony. Then from the famous writer J. Frank Dobie...The Ben Lilly Legend.

The oldtimers always said that when Ben took to a track...that varmint was as good as dead.

He shot a .35 Remington Pump.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine just got thru reading one of the books about Ben Lilly.

In it, it stated something about Ben Lilly's wife or one of his wives leaving him because he left on a hunt for either a lion or bear and stayed gone so long she got tired of waiting for him to come home.

I probably got that all wrong, but it went something like that.

I heard or read somewhere that once Ben got on a track, he did not stop until the animal was dead, no matter how long it took or how far he had to follow it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, some women just have no patience. That's why you shouldn't take 'em huntin'. Circular problem.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dobie is a great writer. "The Legend of Ben Lilly" is one of those books you'll want to read again from time to time.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not Africana, but a contemporary eccentric of Ben Lily was a man named Nat Straw. There is an excellent biography of him called Mogollon Mountain Man by Carolyn O'Bagy Davis. It is published by SanPete out of Tucson. His stomping grounds were mostly the Gila Wilderness country around Silver City. He and Ben Lily knew each other and they employed some of the same methods. Straw walked everywhere and didn't have any use for dogs. Yet his exploits are equal to Lily.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Coincidence, I sold my fursrt edition copy of the Ben Lilly book to his grandson, a retried Arizona Wildlife Manager. I was pleased I had it for him.

I have another book along similar lines that some might find of interest.
HUNTING BIG GAME WITH DOGS IN AFRICA, Er
M. Shelley. Signed. Becktold, 1924 First
Edition. This one is pricey and if there is interest we can negotiate. I found one for sale on Amazon for $350.00

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote