New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's on your feet ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear wool/coolmax ankle high hiking socks with an almost worn out pair of Courtney's every year. Never had a problem with blisters or sore feet. We sometimes have to walk 10-12km at a stretch, no problem. Damn gun gets a little heavy though.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took 2 pair of lightweight kangaroo leather 8" boots to Namibia last September. They're as comfortable as running shoes but give ankle support. One was Browning with Vibram sole and other was Cabela's with crepe sole. Both are non GoreTex cause Namibia is semi desert. I switched off, only wearing each one day, then letting them evaporate moisture for a day.

Northern Namibia hills are rocky. In fact, I couldn't swing a dead cat without stepping on a rock. Some is razor sharp volcanic rock. Sharp enough to slice the crepe soles and the recoil pad on my rifle sometimes used as a walking stick to keep my balance. The crepe soles showed 2 years worth of wear after only 3 days stepping on rocks and thorns. The Vibram soles fared better and gave better traction in the sand of southern Namibia east of Keetmanshoop.

CoolMax socks prevented any blisters.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of wyomingben
posted Hide Post
I wear Vasque Sundowner MX2 GTX everyday, I am wearing them right now and I will be wearing them tommarow, it takes about 2 years to wear them out, I have worn out 3 pairs and when these wearout I'll be getting another pair. Best fitting thing I have ever had on my feet, wearing anything else just doesn't feel right. Only draw back is they maybe a bit warm for very hot weather however I wear them with shorts all summer long here in Wyo....

Link to boots-
http://www.vasque.com/products/m-sundownermx2gtx.cfm

Posts: 27 | Location: WYOMING | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ever you decide to wear on your feet,bring along some moleskin(available at your pharmacy,or you can shoot your own mole..LOL..) It can save your hunt if you get a bad blister. Here's my secret trick; aply the moleskin but use a quick drying glue like crazy glue to hold it in place. Nothing stops you quicker that hurt'in feet.

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
My choice is fabric jungle boots AIGLE
They are light, my ankles are sustained, they dry fast and easily drained water when crossing rivers or swamps.
A precaution, I always bring 2 pairs.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
Irish Setters for me, the upland kind. Wears like iron and are quiet sshhhhhhhhh!!! Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wore Worverine (8"), "White tail" boots with "smart wool" socks in Namibia last year during a ten day hunt. They are super light, give great arch support, are very comfortable, and reasonable priced. I was concerned that they might be too hot for the May climate; however, they matched the terrain and temperature "to-a-tea". Mags

Posts: 152 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
A seven-year-old pair o'green Russell PH's. Cabela's used t'carry a brand of sox called "blisterproof". I haven't seen'em for sale anywhere for years, dammit, but they are the bee's knees! For loafin' around camp, a pair o'Russell moccasins built out of warthog leather from m'second safari.

Those SmartWool thingies sound int'restin'. Need t'look'em up some time, what?

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Meindls and they are excellent although a little expensive.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote