New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for SCI members.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be going to the convention next year to talk to safari outfitters and look at the items on display. I was wondering though, can people buy rifles from the show right there and take them home? It's my first time there, and not sure if retail sales are conducted there directly to hunter or if it's an industry type show where only people in the trade can make deals.

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
You can buy it there but I think you have to go thru dealer in your home state
That's what I had to do

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Unless you are a resident of the state where a gunshow is being held, with certain limited exceptions like curios, the interstate transfer of a firearm needs to done through an FFL in your home state.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Totally dependent on state law when it comes to rifles and shotguns. Many states have traditionally allowed residents to purchase long guns in contiguous states but there has been a recent effort to remove the contiguous state requirement.

Check your state's requirements at www.nraila.org

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get an FFL form from your dealer at home and take it with you. This will expedite the transaction.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
Totally dependent on state law when it comes to rifles and shotguns. Many states have traditionally allowed residents to purchase long guns in contiguous states but there has been a recent effort to remove the contiguous state requirement.

Check your state's requirements at www.nraila.org

I'm not an expert but I live in FL and the show is in Nevada. Any chance I could pick up the rifle and bring it home?

It's going to be a high $$$$$ rifle and would love to look after it myself during transit instead of leaving it behind and praying the package will not be abused during shipping or that my FFL dealer will not take it out to admire it prior to my arrival and pass it around to co-workers each banging the stock against the counter and dry firing it!!! shocker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also from FL. When I bought my double, I had to have it shipped to a gun shop in FL.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I purchased a double in Reno 2001(?) and it had to shipped to an FFL in California, but then it is California. Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do not have an FFL, the gun will need to go to an FFL holder in your state. He or she will hold the chain of custody (log book) and have you complete the required paperwork for your state.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan W:
If you do not have an FFL, the gun will need to go to an FFL holder in your state. He or she will hold the chain of custody (log book) and have you complete the required paperwork for your state.

If there is a dealer from your state at the show, that is willing to do the transfer, unless your state has a waiting period you can take the firearm with you when you leave to go home!

.................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan W:

If there is a dealer from your state at the show, that is willing to do the transfer, unless your state has a waiting period you can take the firearm with you when you leave to go home!

.................................................................... tu2

Sorry MacD, but that is not legal. A FFL holder can not deliver a gun outside his home state (except some C&R types) even to another dealer.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Unless the seller is a Nevada-based FFL dealer and you live in Nevada or a contiguous state (excluding California), no.

C&R exemptions may apply, but I don't know those rules.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much. Appreciate the input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All because an engraved Rigby or Nitro Express double rifle is likely to be involved in a crime. Ain't the government great?

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote