New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steve Alexander -Zim
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know/work with Steve Alexander in Zim some five or so years ago?

Grateful for views.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
There's a name from the past. I haven't heard anything about Steve in a very long time. I enjoyed spending some time with him clear back in 1986 when he worked for Peter Johnstone's Rosslyn Safaris.

The one memory I'll always have of Steve was him getting arrested after I'd finished a safari with Rosslyn. After my hunt, Roy and Rene Vincent took my wife, a friend and I over to Chobe National Park in Botswana for a few days of camping and game viewing. Steve tagged along and while we were clearing customs at The border, Steve wandered outside and walked across the border. He was immediately arrested and had to spend a few days sitting in the Kasane jail while the rest of us went camping. We collected him on our way back into Zim.

Only in Africa!

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLS,

Did Steve carry a C&H 404 Jeffery and have a tracker named Danger or Dangerous?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Steve in 1989 in Dande with Zambesi Hunters. He carried a Army and Navy under lever Double rifle with hammers in 450 No 2. There was a tracker at Dande called Danger I hunted with him twice. Danger had a son who was his clone, can't remember his name. Peter Garvan also guided there he carried a beautiful Dum Mauser in 404 Jeffery

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petermayall:
I hunted with Steve in 1989 in Dande with Zambesi Hunters. He carried a Army and Navy under lever Double rifle with hammers in 450 No 2. There was a tracker at Dande called Danger I hunted with him twice. Danger had a son who was his clone, can't remember his name. Peter Garvan also guided there he carried a beautiful Dum Mauser in 404 Jeffery

Thanks Peter,

I have been trying to remember Peter Garvan's name for years. I believe it was 1989 when I hunted Dande. I believe I hunted in late April or May for buff and leopard. Peter was getting married after our hunt and going to guiding river trips on the Zambezi. You may be right on his rifle as being a Dumalin but I remember it as a G&H.

Danger was quite old then and had few teeth left in his smile. I have a picture of him holding the head of a buff cow that I shot for leopard bait and like him, she had few teeth left. Their side by side smiles will make you laugh!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah 465H&H, I hunted with Peter Garvan or (Garvin)in Sept 1987. I'm sure his rifle was a Dumoulin 404. It had an unusual stock in beautiful chocolate brown walnut. Instead of having a check piece it was concave. If I remember rightly it did kick like a SOB. Back then if I recall correctly they were shooting 80 Bull Buff in the Dande concession ! Cheers Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, Steve and wife Jane are working in Namibia and he did, indeed, have a .450 No. 2 and a tracker named Danger.

At last sight he was wearing an Accurate Reloading cap that Saeed had given him some years ago. He had visited Dubai when working in Afghanistan.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Thanks all, Steve and wife Jane are working in Namibia and he did, indeed, have a .450 No. 2 and a tracker named Danger.

At last sight he was wearing an Accurate Reloading cap that Saeed had given him some years ago. He had visited Dubai when working in Afghanistan.

Regards, Tim

I do remember him visiting us here.

We had a great afternoon together.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote