New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumukwa Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone hunted with them, know anything about them? They were offering an interesting hunt on sable/roan along the Limpopo region just east of Kruger. I just wondered if anyone had experience with them.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R. Gunn:
Has anyone hunted with them, know anything about them? They were offering an interesting hunt on sable/roan along the Limpopo region just east of Kruger. I just wondered if anyone had experience with them.

May want to check the geography. My understanding is that Mozambique lies just east of Kruger?

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. How about just west along the Limpopo? Doesn't seem to matter, no one seems to have heard of them. Their deal sounded too good to be true.

Dick Gunn

"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check to see if they are members of or known by PHASA?

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My neighbor and I hunted with them last Apr. It was a hunt donated to the North TX Chapter of RMEF. It was my 5th safari and neighbors first.Great lodge,first class everything. If you picked up a current brochure..that is me with my goofy Inyala on oh. 45. Say hi to my favorite trackers Willy and Patrick. Better tomorrows,Mims AKA Harry

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick, I checked their website and it's sure a nice looking place on the Limpopo River. The outfitter looks pretty good and they are in a great area. You are east of the Waterburg Mountains and west of the legendary poachers hide-out, Crooks Corner. Cross the Limpopo River and you are in Botswana.
I sent them an email. It looks very interesting. I would take Harry's comment to heart. It was his 5th. Safari.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said the "east" part was a mental slip on my part. I have visited that part of Zim, Moz and S. AFrica before and am aware of the lay of the land. Their brochure was spectacular but I am always a little leary. Sometimes the best places don't need to spend a lot of money on brochures; they get plenty of customers by reputation alone. The guy at the DSC booth was an American and had lots of stories and pics on his phone and was pretty high-powered but I never talked to the actual outfitter or PHs. That is why I wanted to see how many folks had hunted there. After my Eastern Cape experience--second rate PHs, driving from one high fenced area to the next, looking for the animal of the day--I have been a little reticent to hunt in the RSA again. The Limpopo area looks better though.

Dick Gunn

"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick, I get east/west mixed up all the time. I like Limpopo and have hunted there seven times. Waterburg Mountains and the Low-veld.

I had the same experience about 10 years ago in the Eastern Cape. Roaring up and down that highway all day, then turning into a locked pasture to chase a herd of Blesbok around and around. the PH was a real jerk too. The Outfitter was Two Waters Safari. Bad mistake on my part! Beautiful country though. Can I ask who you hunted the Eastern Cape with? ( It's cool if you don't want to say.) Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, if personal messaging were less clunky I'd send you a PM, my email is richardgunn1940@gmail.com

Send me an email and I'll give you the name.

Dick Gunn

"