Find
Notify
Tools

Sable Costs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Which country has the least expensive license/tag for a bull sable?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Totally wrong focus. IMHO

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:

Based on that criteria alone - USA - 5 day exotics license in Texas will cost you $48.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
quote:

Based on that criteria alone - USA - 5 day exotics license in Texas will cost you $48.

But you will be missing the whole point of the hunt.

Imagine not being able to go to sleep to the sounds of hyenas, and wake up by the roar of lions.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the point the man is making is that trophy fees vary from country to country,that along with that most of us do not have unlimited wealth it makes sense to be a bit frugal.Check Zim for the best price. S.A. is usually very high

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mozambique would be a good guess but it depends on if you looking for common Sable or Roosevelt Sable the common on sable are not that big as in Zambia or Zim 43" would be about max in Moz most common are 38-41".

Hope that helps

Toni

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can find in SA with broomed or crockered horns for around 3500-4000 euro's in the 38-41" catergory.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Well, SBT.
Don't listen to some of them. You are looking for good decent price for sable. Good. Some just want the biggest trophy and are willing to pay premium. Each to our own.
I only hunted good deals and I have never been disappointed. Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone can pay top dollars.
You more likely do real hunt for decent price then if you pay ton of money where you almost don't feel like just a hunter but some royalty.
To me, hunting should be a bit tough, rough with some struggle and sometimes not much success, good trophies, but average and on and on.
That's all I gotta say

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me clarify. I wasn't suggesting that price is no object or that size is the main object. I shouldn't have been so terse.

To me, a sable is a special animal. He should not be shot in Texas. Or on some game ranch in South Africa. A sable should be hunted in bush, with hyenas whooping at night, lions sounding off if possible, bushbabies (where available), etc. It's the experience that counts, not whether your bull winds up being 38" or 43". Or the cost of your license or trophy fee. It's a balancing act, but I'm just suggesting you give weight to some other factors.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Good point Lavaca

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
...Or on some game ranch in South Africa.

I dunno about that. Some of the game ranges in SA are flat out huge. I've spent some 12 days at Sante Asana and in that time I saw one Sable.

I think it's all a matter of trying to find the type of hunt that fits your dream...and then go make the dream happen.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The now infamous Antoinette Property in Zimbabwe used to be a great place to hunt sable. I shot two 42 inch sables and saw bigger. Also, contact Rosslyn Safaris in Zimbabwe. They have good sable on their Cawston property. They cater to bow hunting so I'm not sure if rifle hunting is doable. Peter Johnstone the owner of Rosslyn is one of the first licensed PH/outfitters in Zim. I have hunted at Cawston and it is lovely with lots of game.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfenced sable are widely available in most all regions in Mozambique (niassa & surrounds, tete, delta, C9).

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Crawston. I bow hunter there in 2012. Great place and people. I was not looking to shoot sable but saw several very nice ones.
There was a rifle hunter in camp, but I think they do not take many rifle hunters.
Contact Juliet Johnstone off their web site.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rnovi:

I've never hunted in South Africa and had no intentions of casting aspersions that way. I have bowhunted on a very large high fenced place in Namibia and it was great. Totally fair chase.

I'm just saying that being in a wild place is better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
These are broad generalities, but you can hunt big Sable with a great success rate in NW Zim of Zambia for $15k, or hunt decent Sable with a marginal success rate in some other areas of Zim for $10k, or decent Sable with a high success rate in several areas of Moz for $12k.

I don't know what the prices are elsewhere.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
SBT, talk to Guy Whittall. He and his partners have great areas in northern Mozambique for Roosevelt sable out of good camps and at good prices.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, I don't disagree at all. I would love to hunt a full, old school wild hunt. Those days though may well be behind us. I hope not...

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote