New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a number of sets of elephant tusks. I have a single set that is turning yellow? Any idea why?

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wrong paste?

Sorry.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Might have been a smoker? clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Might have been a smoker? clap

And/or a coffee drinker. dancing

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He used the same dentist as you do? :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have a number of sets of elephant tusks. I have a single set that is turning yellow? Any idea why?

Would that pair be the first of the number of sets?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
doctor palmer horse

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard ivory can turn yellow with age. I have never tried this, but a taxidermist suggested I occasionally wipe the tusks with a very light coat of mineral oil to help preserve the ivory.

Try it at your own risks though.

Good luck.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to whiten them, perhaps wiping them hydrogen peroxide might help?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no clue, but would ask a taxidermist that know African animals.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think some do turn yellow and some don't. As an example, my grandparents had a grand piano in the house and it had ivory keys. Until they had some ivory delaminate from the keys, it was original from when my great grandfather brought it in the 20's.

I distinctly recall some of the keys being yellow and some not until they repaired it.

So why/how, no idea... But it does happen differently even with ivory the "same age"

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Ele ivory will yellow with age. Warthog ivory does not. Strange but that's nature !

I read that there is nothing you can do against it.

Adds character

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Would that pair be the first of the number of sets?

Not even close to the first set.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Hence the use of Wart hog ivory for Double Rifle fore sights.

BTW - Ivory soaked in vinegar will delaminate and soften. It can be peeled into panels. I read about this - the ancient Greeks decorated the Parthenon with such laminates of ivory.

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:
Ele ivory will yellow with age. Warthog ivory does not. Strange but that's nature !

I read that there is nothing you can do against it.

Adds character

Charlie

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not even close to the first set.

Then it would have nothing to do with the age of the ivory but more likely related to differing mineral contents present with the soil of its habitat, ingested and absorbed through water and vegetation.

In the days when ivory was freely and legally available on the market in the form of carved trinkets and statuettes, I would occasionally notice some would have a pleasant peachy-pink hue instead of the classic "ivory-white" on the cross-section; these "rare" occurrences I was told were from Elephants taken in the Dodoma, Singida, Tabora areas.

With age however, the outer protective layer known as cementum tends to get discolored and required buffing with a light abrasive for it to be restored to its original color.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is said of many antique ornaments that original colour and lustre faded over time with exposure to natural light, and that to preserve what remains the ornaments should be protected from further exposure. IIRC I think I read that ivory was an exception, and was likely to discolour if shielded from light. And to prevent discolouration was best displayed in the full glow of natural light. The only evidence I can personally offer is that a small carved ivory statuette I have owned for about 20 years ( it's apparently ~ 100 years old ) has been situated in good light for that entire time and to the best of my reckoning has never changed colour.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two ivory items that were my grandfathers. One is a piece of carved walrus ivory that is white and shows no signs of yellowing. I don't know if it is coated with anything or not. The other piece is what I was told the end of a walrus tusk. It is pretty big in diameter so I am not sure if it is walrus or elephant. It is yellow, and has been ever since I got it.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
My teeth are also starting to yellow?

Probably cause I can't keep my mouth shut.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
My teeth are also starting to yellow?

Probably cause I can't keep my mouth shut.

Yep. Big Grin lol

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
I would think location ( habitat ) and hence diet would be the deciding factor. Calcium and /or other deficiencies ?
As to Andrews comment : 2020 rotflmo

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had a grand piano with ivory keys that had begun to yellow. Her piano tuner told her that the keys needed a bit of sunlight to stay white. Opening the window blinds and leaving the piano cover up seemed to solve the problem.