New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gratuities following your hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am a relative newbie to the safari world, and really have no clue what is expected for tips to PH's, trackers, skinners, drivers, house staff, etc. I will be staying 14 days with a very deluxe hunting outfit with quality trophies and 1x1 with a PH I really do like. We have never discussed any of these particulars, but I do know that they prefer you to interact personally with all the people you meetand employ. Should I base it on a percentage of the cost of the trip-daily rates-what I can afford? Any help out there as a guideline?

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jack atcheson and sons recoment 100 to 200 per week for everybody but the ph which they recomend 500 if you hunt was a good one. I usually give the lump sum to my ph and tell him to divide it as he sees fit. I know i will see him again and he has to live with the staff after i leave.

Posts: 294 | Location: carmichael,califoenia,usa | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Blank,

This is a question which often comes up and everyone has their view.

First, talk to your outfitter regarding the tips. They should give you guidelines regarding how much and to whom. Also, depending on the oufitter, the staff tips can be handed out to each individual when you leave; or, you might just pay the total staff tip amount to the PH who will then distribute it.

General guidelines for tip amounts on a plains game safari (and these are just rough guidelines):

1. Staff, budget about $20 to $25 a day total. Sum to be divided among each staff member as directed by the outfitter or PH. [So, on a 14 day safari, about $250 to $350 total staff tip.]

2. PH, about 10% of the total Daily Rate amount. [For example, if the Daily Rate is $350 then, 14 X 350 = 4,900. 10% of 4,900 = $490. So about $500 tip to the PH].

If your outfitter is hesitant to give you guidelines on staff and PH tips amounts, make them give you some guidelines. I don't know why, but some outfitters treat this like it's a big secret.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.

On dangerous game safaris, the tips are generally higher. About $30 to $50 a day (total) for the staff and about $75 to $100 per day for the PH.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. So far about half of the enjoyment of the trip has been learning about all the eccentricities of Africa and getting ready for it. I really am stretching the budget to the breaking point with this hunt, but figure it to be worth every penny. I just don't want to offend anyone by my ignorance (ugly american syndrome), and want it to be a shared and pleasant experience for them as well as me. I would like to look them in the eye at SCI and laugh about our time together.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Blank,

Welcome to the forum.

All the PHs I have hunted with have been more than happy to suggest a reasonable amount for a tip.

And, considering what those boys and girls at the camp do for you, and the number of hours they work, I have always considered whatever the PH suggested was far lower than what I had in mind.

I pay them whatever I had in mind originally anyway.

At the end of the day, pay whatever you are comfortable with.

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I asked Vaughan Fulton of Namibia this very question. He replied that there are 10 staff members-kitchen, laundry, cleaning, trackers, skinners, etc., and that $200.00 to $300.00 is plenty.