Find
Notify
Tools

My South Africa Trip!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
I'll add a story later this week, but all in all I had an absolutely fantastic time. I ended up with trophies that surpassed anything I was hoping for.

The Kudu ended up at 58", and the bushbuck is 17 1/2"... My wifes wildebeest is a very nice bull as well... 28-1/2 wide... The rest are all very nice trophies and I'm extatic about them as well, even if I don't look so in the pig picture... It was pitch black out by the time we got the cameras, and there was three people taking pictures I didn't know when to smile or not... I have a better one or 5 but not with me today...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Uitstekend, dude!

Nothing like it...

Write 'er up!

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Great trophies, very well done! Limpopo?

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

CONGRATS!!! Great Kudu and Bushbuck!!! And that Gemsbok isn't too shabby either!! Wink

Thanks for sharing your photos...
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Schweet! thumb

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Yeah, along the Limpopo river... The funny thing was my kudu was the first bull we got close enough to get a shot at... My PH said he was probalby only a 51"er at best... after hunting for 3 days and this being the first one even close enough to shoot at I decided he was plenty good enough for me... and by close I mean he was pushing 250 yards! I was kind of stretching the barrle of the ol 375 by the time I was done shooting... The second hit was from about 300 yards right up the ol youhoo... that put him on the ground... you can see the bullet under the skin on the shoulder from the first shot.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Ivan - According to my PH, Claude Kleinhans;

"up the youhoo" = "Portuguese Heart Shot"

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine hunt and great trophies!

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan, very nice animals, the bushbuck in particular is VERY impressive.

Posts: 58 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Very nice Ivan. Looks like you had great trip and took some exceptional trophys. I especially like the kudu and bushbuck.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dude, that's so very cool! Who says one can't find decent trophies in RSA, huh?

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT PICS!!

Congrats

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
A wonderful collection of trophies.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great kudu and bushbuck! Congratulations!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Man, what superb trophies. The kudu is great but that bushbuck is WORLD CLASS! congratulations. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nicely done there Ivan, you and your wife took some excellent trophies.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
What a wonderfull Bushbuck!
Congrats to you and your wife on a great hunt!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
IVAN, looks like one of the trophies you took with you to RSA!
jump

The animals were top of the line as well! Congratulations! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

I hope you truly know what an Awsome bushbuck that is...I am serious....that thing is huge and I bet is in the top 20 SCI..... and that kudu is a real pig too..... congratulations..... those animals are truly superb!

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies. They're all fantastic.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt!! I just realized you were on the flight back from Joberg with the four of us returning from Namibia. I think you were two rows in front of us......about 12" on the "Scarebus".

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robncolorado:
Ivan,

I hope you truly know what an Awsome bushbuck that is...I am serious....that thing is huge and I bet is in the top 20 SCI..... and that kudu is a real pig too.....

I had a pretty good idea he was that big... Wink Big Grin

When I saw him laying under the tree at 75 yards looking away from us I knew he was a monster but we didn't know how good until we drug him from his bed!

The kicker was two hours later while sitting watching game along the river with our wives at sunset... we saw another ram that was probably pushing 16"+ we could have probably killed him with a bow and arrow too... My PH said "look at that monster... but I guess after what we did today "monster" kind of took on a diffrent definition didn't it?"

I killed the kudu in the morning and the bushbuck that same afternoon. It was truely a day that I will never forget nor will ever repeat!

Thanks again for the kudos guys!

Bob... I remember you as well. 12" is about right. Our flight over was much more comfortable however.

My PH had been trying to kill this ram for 2 years.