Find
Notify
Tools

Malaria vaccine on the horizon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
AR Colleagues, Slightly off topic but FYI:

There is some very promising news relating to the development of a malaria vaccine resulting from a public-private partnership. Results of a positive efficacy study of a GlaxoSmithKline produced vaccine in children will be published today in the British medical journal, The Lancet. While it will be some time yet before a vaccine will be broadly available and further development needed for the use of the vaccine use in adults, the results are extremely encouraging. Malaria is an enormously complex disease to understand scientifically and treatment/prevention has proven to be one of the most difficult scientific challenges. The news to be reported today represents a major advancement.

I work for GlaxoSmithKline and wanted to take the opportunity to keep everyone updated on our malaria research efforts. Until the vaccine is available one of the most effective treatments/prophylactics is another one of our products, Malarone.

For those interested in more detail the link below will give you the full details of the Malaria Vaccine Initiative
Malaria Vaccine Initiative

Malarone information can be found at this link:
Malarone Web Site

Thanks
Paul

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It would be great to stop taking the pills all of the time. I travel a lot to Brazil so they do get to be a pain.

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you work for Glaxo,Smith Kline, you should have added that the vaccine in highly controlled circumstances seems to indicate a 30% success rate in preventing death in children. Certainly I agree that's something to crow about and I do congratulate your company but let's face it,a vaccine against malaria is (as one newspaper writer put it) looking for the Holy Grail of tropical medicine. We have seen any number of efforts that have failed. I wish you folks luck. There's no reason why you won't succeed, given the genius of human thought. ( I am old enough to remember when polio and smallpox were dreaded human maladies)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote