New
Find
Notify
Tools

morning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's still dark, but the glow of the morning sun is on the horizon. You lay on the bed slowly coming to. The sounds of the starting day can be heard from the kitchen. Your ears search for the sounds of the night. The lions made a kill, and the hyenas tried to take it. The argument echoed through the night air waking you from a sound sleep. Its still cool outside, the smell from the mopane fire is in the air. The pods of hippos that talked through the night are finally quiet. What kind of language do they have you wonder. The has to be one. The air is quiet outside of the netting covering your bed. The buzz of the mosquitos has ended, and the flies aren't awake yet.
As you throw the blanket back you remember to check the floor for scorpions. The cough of a leopard sounds near. It must be the small female that lives nearby, You feel a tinge of guilt, knowing that the big tom that was courting her is in the skinning shed. Yet you know whe will find another soon. As you start to pull on your shoes, wilson comes to your tent door to awaken you with a fresh cup of tea. Ha, beat you to it today wilson. Taaking the cup in hand, you exit the tent, conscious that there might be a puff adder near the trail, but there is none. The cooing of the doves is broken only by the sounds of the other birds. The air is alive with their calls. You hear the splash in the river, wonder what that was, Fish? goose? croc? hippo? its still to dark to see. As you approach the fire your PH greets you. Sitting in the chair, listening, watching the light become brighter, smelling the fire, and the breakfast cooking, it seems as god has singled you out to give you all the gifts of life. silently your thank him and get ready to face the wonderment of the day.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
August 26th... I'll be there if the Good Lord so lets me.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Sept.18th for wife and I.
The dreams that never left from our 1st trip are getting stronger and more vivid every night.
Soon the cure will come, soon.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
August 11th for me & wife!

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another day at the office...

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Great read on this Sunday Morning. Thanks for sharing. I can only hope to be blessed once again to experience those cherished African mornings.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
get ready to face the wonderment of the day.

Mr. Lockerby,

Right there you've hit the essence of the safari experience.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
July 23rd...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
butchloc,

Well done, brings back great memories. Can't wait to leave on October 7th!!!!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
June 23rd.

Great post

Posts: 26 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
August 7th

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
July 1st for me!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Less than 120 days for me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
October 10th to Moz

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Wife and I will be in The Selous Aug. 24 and the next 22 days... Yes, I am smiling Big Grin with excitement...

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Wife and I will be in The Selous Aug. 24 and the next 22 days... Yes, I am smiling Big Grin with excitement...

Mike thumb

Don't forget your sunscreen...have a great hunt. Wink

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the Zambezi Valley on July 31st.

Will be hard to sleep that night, with the promise of the first day of the best hunt of my life just a few hours away.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Oct 9 to Zim --- just printed this out and it's hanging over my desk so I can read it first thing every morning --- Thanks
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Caprivi dawn.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
September 17 th in Zimbabwe

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave Aug 28th RSA, maybe the Suni this time!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
August 31 just south of the Selous. God, I'm gonna miss that place!

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
6 Days... Can't wait to take it all in again... Zim

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
25 days !!!!!!!!

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
August 16th for my husband and me.

D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT MEMORIES. NOT ABLE TO MAKE IT TO AFRICA THIS YEAR, HOPEFULLY NEXT.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
July 2th I'll leave Milan, July 5th I'll leave Windhoek, without my rifle this time, but with my camera.

July 27th back to WDK and I'leave Namibia Frowner July 29th back to office CRYBABY

in the middle 22 days of quite and relaxing travel in a fascinating nature :-)

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2010 for me and my wife (I hope) my 2nd her 1st

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote