THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    "Updated"New stock on my Ruger RSM .458 Lott

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Updated"New stock on my Ruger RSM .458 Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted
Here are the photos of my finished rifle. LeRoy and Connie Barry of Canyon Creek Custom Gun Stocks did all the work for me. I received the photos yesterday and the rifle should ship next week.

I wanted some thing unique in the checkering so LeRoy and I talked and He and his wife did an outstanding job. It is Zulu Spear points with Lions tails. We could not get Masai spear points to look right. The checkering was 20% my idea and 80% leRoy and Connie really making it work.

The big test will be how it shoots when I get it back. LeRoy modified the recoil lugs and now the length of pull will be correct for me. I will let you all know how it works out and I will add a few more detailed photos as well.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/wjbarks/cid_002...8b5001365E7A5you.jpg

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
shocker
You by any chance didnt let another one being made did you ? I will arrange a good home for it if you did in Africa.
Envious !!!

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks like an excellent piece of wood. It's not everyday that you see a new checkering pattern but it looks pretty classy. Do you mind giving a ballpark cost for that work?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice and quite a unique idea!! Very talented stockbuilding and checkering team there.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just posting 458Lottfan's photo within the thread.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Outstanding rifle plus superb stock makes for truly ultimate rifle. Yes, checkering from what I can see is well done indeed. Would consider the rifle one would pass on to his children, family members, etc., years down the road and it will continue to delight many folks for many years.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Thank you BFaucett I tried 4 times to get the photo up but could only get the link to work.

If any one wants to know the price of a stock feel free to call LeRoy at 406-546-6433. The options are many.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Will, Congrats. LeRoy sent me these pictures earlier in the week, as we are discussing what checkering pattern to use on the .375 he's building for me.

This is LeRoy's third .458 Lott RSM. He's gotta be getting good at them.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THat is an awsome looking job !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh My. Simply lovely!

(please excuse a drooling old man.)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Super job... I'd be proud to carry it!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
What species of walnut? Looks like an amazing piece of black walnut, but I am interested to know its type and where you got it?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
333_OKH - I believe it's Bastogne Walnut. I initially contacted LeRoy and asked that he develop a better recoil system for these .458 Lott's in the Ruger 77, and selected Bastogne Walnut at the suggestion of a friend here in Vegas that's a wood broker, because of it's incredible strength. He built the gun for me, then one for Use Enough Gun and then this one for Will. They are are incredible examples of fine rifle building. I recommend him highly.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle. Congratulations.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does he just do stock work or does he do rebarreling etc. Thanks for the info. I've got a 375H&H rsm that I don't like because it's too heavy, but if he could restock it and turn it into a 458 lott or win, I'd be willing to dish out a reasonable amount of cash to save my ruger.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm lost for words! That rifle is just beautiful!

Posts: 561 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I want to thank Bawanna, for the recommendation to have LeRoy work on my rifle!!

Thanks for all of the positive feed back from all of you. I was so pleased with the work that I could hardly stop looking at the photos.

This was new ground for me. I have never had a customized rifle before.

The checkering was a verbal discussion over the phone with no clear picture of what the end product would actually look like. I just emailed a few photos of african spear points. LeRoy and Connie took it from there.

My original plan was to simply incorporate the recoil modifications in an inexpensive stock blank. I just wanted a rugged hunting rifle. I still have that! But it is a piece of functional art now.

I had quotes from a couple of other stock makers. They all recommended Bastogne wood for heavy recoiling rifles. The grain is stronger and the wood tends to be denser and there for slightly heavier.

The only metal work I had done was, matt bluing the barreled action/scope rings and the grip cap silver work.
LeRoy suggested the silver work when I told him I wanted a rifle rugged enough to pass down to my son. It was a great idea.

When I get it in my hands and put it on paper I will up date the thread on how it shoots and I will add photos that high light the finer details.

I am now going to look at having LeRoy restock my Ruger No. 1S in .338 Win Mag.

Semper Fi and safe hunting
Will

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
333_OKH - I believe it's Bastogne Walnut. I initially contacted LeRoy and asked that he develop a better recoil system for these .458 Lott's in the Ruger 77, and selected Bastogne Walnut at the suggestion of a friend here in Vegas that's a wood broker, because of it's incredible strength. He built the gun for me, then one for Use Enough Gun and then this one for Will. They are are incredible examples of fine rifle building. I recommend him highly.

I originally thought it was a perfect piece of American black walnut. Regardless, it is excellent to look at!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
458 Lottfan,

That is a great looking rifle!!!

I had a 375 RSM restocked by a guy here in Aussie, in Bastogne. The rifle shot like crazy, but I sold it to a friend who made me an offer I couldn't refuse Wink

Look forward to hearing how it shoots...........

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
how did it shot?

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice wood! dancing

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I received the rifle from LeRoy Barry today. I wanted to put up some photos that showed more detail on the checkering work that LeRoy and Connie did. I will put it on paper this sunday and let you all know how it shoots.

Will

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]
[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

[URL= ][IMG]

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice.

One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Beautiful! That is definatly a keeper! Smiler

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Lottfan:
I received the rifle from LeRoy Barry today. I wanted to put up some photos that showed more detail on the checkering work that LeRoy and Connie did. I will put it on paper this sunday and let you all know how it shoots.

Will

[URL= ][IMG]

A beautiful stock, but why is the express sight on backwards??????????? Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Will, Thanks. Those are better pictures of the checkering than LeRoy sent me. That helps me on a decision with the .375. I really like the lion tails, I may have to go with something similar on that gun since it will have an engraved lion on the floorplate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by 458Lottfan:

Will

[URL= ][IMG]

A beautiful stock, but why is the express sight on backwards??????????? Confused

bewilderedMy thoughts as well!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I thought somthing looked odd with it last night. I guesss I was looking at every thing but the sights when I pulled it out of the box. Thanks for the observation. I will have to knock them out and turm them around. They must have put them in backwards after reblueing the barreled action.

Will

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
The rifle shoots GREAT!!! As soon as I find my cameras battery charger I will post photos of the Groups and some recovered bullets from the dirt bank.

I was playing with three different 450 grain Bullets. All groups measured Center to center fired from bags at 100 yards. The battery in my chrono was ruptured so I do not have velocity data at this time.

The bore was cleaned after each 5 shot group which probably accounts for having one flyer in each group as well as me getting settled down with the rifle.

The best loads had 80.0 grains of H4895:

450 Grain NF solid, 5 shot group with one flyer
1.010. Same group with out the one flyer .334 inches. I had to lay a bullet in to one hole to find the center of the group. This is the best group I have shot to date with this rifle. Total spread on the 4 shot group is .732 inches.

450 Grain NF soft, 5 shot group with one flyer 2.450 inches. Same group with the one flyer removed .677 inches.

450 grain Barnes TSX, 5 shot group with one flyer 2.788 inches. Same group with the flyer removed .650 inches.

The NF solids hit 1 inch lower and 1.5 inches right of the group made by the NF softs.

The TSX group shot .5 inches higher than the NF softs.

One huge difference between the TSX and the NF was I had little to no copper on my patches when cleaning after the NF bullet groups; it only took about 5 patches for the bore to be clean. With the TSX bullets the patches were solid blue, it took around 12 to 15 patches to have the bore clean enough for the next group. But even then there was some copper still in small spots in the bore.

This is only target data. I have only killed one animal with this rifle. That was a coyote at 140 yards with a factory 500 grain factory soft. And yes it did kill him. Just punched a nice clean to 3/4 inch hole through like he went through a punch press.

Any how the gun shoots great and I could not be happier. Now to start planning my first Cape Buff hunt!!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Were you shooting open sights or scoped? Have you shot it with open sights since you got it back from LeRoy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The baggage boys in Dulles cant wait to get their hands on that one.