Notify
Tools

Re: shooting school
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
Quote:

Where are the schools in Texas? I live in Oklahoma and I wish I could find something closer to home than Arizona.

Sprig

Tiger Valley in Waco has many classes they can be found at Tiger Valley

John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have attended Gunsite for many classes between 1980 and 2002. I have taken the handgun (250, 499,599) and rifle classes (270, Safari Prep).

The last class I took was a 5 day Safari Prep and it was the most fun I have had in years. I attended this class with DNelson and her husband Bob.

I have taken Urban Rifle and General Purpose Rifle (5 day format) at Thunder Ranch in Texas.

I have instructed basic rifle classes for Front Sight when they were located in Bakersfield, Ca.

Having said all of that...

I think that either Thunder Ranch (GP Rifle) or Gunsite (270) will give you a good general purpose rifle class. (DNelson has also attended rifle classes at both and can comment on this. For a "girl" she can actally shoot. )

If you can only have one class and want to prepare for hunting the Safari Prep is the way to go.

DVC

GPT

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc, You are absolutely right on this one. I belong to 3 local clubs and have the benefit of some of the best shooters out there. A lot of these guys are competition shooters but just as many are just normal hunters and shooters. Everyone is always helpfull and friendly.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cant say enough good about these types of courses wherever they are. I have dealt with several in the past and have always come away with new skills and information.
BTW My wife bought me a membership to Front Site for Christmas. So, now I can go whenever I want and airfare to Vegas is cheap.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammer, what I was trying to tell you is that you can get instruction without having to pay a big fee for it. I was lucky in that one of the members of our local club had shot for the US palma team and latter coached them. He lead me to form habits that let me try for the olympic squad. (missed it by 2 points). The bottom line is that you get better by doing. Muscle retention comes only with thousands of repetitions. I see to many shooter think that they can do better by buying new guns, scopes etc. then take them out hunting without even shooting them first. The shooting schools are excellent, but you can in all probability find help in a local club.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc,

No doubt good advice can be local and free.

While growing up near the Volunteer Rifle Range in Knoxville, Tennessee, took advantage of the national level benchrest competition held there as both a spectator and student. Saw who were the participating locals and learned from those folks continuously.

The Oak Ridge range seemed to have more High Power and Long Range shooting interests and learned from those folks too.

Have also been at shooting ranges and gun shops where locals recommended first time gun buyers start with a S&W 29 or a 219 Donaldson Wasp.

Am a devout Keith fan and enjoy a 44 and a 500 Linebaugh. But wouldn't start my child on one. And the Wasp may one day retake the lead from the PPC family (sitting here looking at 200 fire-formed Wasp cases now), but wouldn't recommend someone who has never loaded a single round cut their teeth on one.

Yes, professionals can and do give bad advice too. And the best advice may come from a caring, skilled individual like a parent or close friend. But the professional's idiotic advice and actions may be more likely to be on display for the buying public to judge, compare, and report.

There is a question of separating the wheat from the chaffe. And how is the novice to know.

But always heeded the advice of my Father, regardless of fee.

Being from Tennessee, always assumed we were direct descendents of Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone.

Butchloc, we are probably closer to agreement than the keyboard shows. Just want people to be careful.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote