Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Old Hunting Postcards
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Nickudu,

Thank you again for another magnificent post. The only risk is that I might get into collecting these beautiful postcards and overspend on them.

Best wishes and thank you again for giving something wonderful to look at throughout the weekend.

Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Funny your mentioning the gorilla postcards, as they are my personal favorites. Only once in my life have I seen photos like that. They were in the earliest Sturm-Ruger advertisments for the, then new, .44 Magnum carbine. Frank DeLano (?) shot a huge lowland bull gorilla in the swamps of the Cameroons (?) and they photographed it similarly, with arms spread overhead. They compared him physically against heavyweight champ Sonny Liston and Liston looked like a dwarf in almost every measurement. They estimated it to have the strength 14 men. Lost the photos somewhere along the line.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That's an excellent point Marterius, as it demonstrates how universally "correct" the perception of hunting once was.

Or one could say that those postcards were the AR of their time...

Regards,
Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talk about thick bush in that hippo pic from Uganda (page 4, far right, second row)
Thanks Nick! A real treat. I really like those old hunting camp pictures with pots hanging from trees and smoke everywhere...

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are absolutely wonderful!!! Images of a time long ago and one we will probably never see again. Makes a tear come to my eye that I was not living in that era. Thanks for the post.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bog, yes ... that's a hell of a place to find a hippo, let alone sort him out. Talk about dangerous game hunting!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote