Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oryx Desert Boots?
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody used or come across the South African made Oryx Desert Boots sold by Mount Gordon Footwear?

I've look at the various Courteney boots, but prefer something that offer more support around the ankle...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Pete, have no experience with the boot you mention. But I thought this one might look interesting for warmer climates - should also give a fair amount of support. I intend to try it, in any event.

Meindl Desert Fox

I lifted that URL from Meindl's Home Page

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I believe Jean took two pairs on his recent hunt in Central Africa and thought hightly of them..

I've been using some suede desert tyle boots for quite a while..They are not really meant as a hunting boot, more as a casual/dress boot, but they have worked very well.

They have a lighter than the usual vibram sole and that is about worn out, but I think they can be resoled. I don't like the usual heavy cleated
vibram soles as I find them too noisy and clumpy for stalking, but these are not too bad. The suede is lined with soft pig skin and it is really comfortable although took a while to break it.

I would like to keep to roughly the same design, but would prefer a boot in leather rather than suede and ideally I would like a bellows tounge. The various PH's I have spoken to all recommend a flat sole rather than a heeled design, but I have no idea why...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Have you seen the Magnum Desert Boot?

Its similar "style" boot to the Meindl, but lighter and is obviously not the same quality..At around £60 its not bad value though.. Its now an issue item to British troops in Iraq and seems to be well liked and is considered a lot better than the some of the boots issued previously.

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
My particular problem, is that, as a result of an old ankle injury, I simply need a supportive boot. Even though they might be more comfortable, I can't wear less "intrusive" boots if there is any amount of walking involved. So, I always tend to gravitate towards the more supportive styles.

I'll make sure I ask JB about his experience with the Meindls, unless he decides to chime in here on his own (JB??)...
- mike

P.S. Had not seen the UK desert mil boot.

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I'm in the same boat with regards needing ankle support.

I was lucky dropping on my present boots as they are pretty high although not quite as high as those magnums.

This is actually the second pair I've worn out, but I do wear them alot...Of course what happens when you find a boot (or any bit of kit) you really like? They discontinue it! Mad

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
they look a lot like Rouge's made in Zim, got a website, look like good boots. I did a search but could nt find the site

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Billy,

The same site sells other boots in the Rouge range, so your quite possibly right...

The M.Gordon site is:

http://gordonfootwear.co.za

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
I have seen the Gordon boots being worn by PH's in SA, seems they are reasonably priced and they got a good write-up in Magnum magazine a few years ago.
Cheers
Ed

Posts: 93 | Location: Hants. UK | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Clarke's desert boots or the $4 versions they sell on the streets of Cairo. Aside from these....does anyone know of an online outlet that sells the Rocky sandals?

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of that same Oryx boot as in your picture Pete. I purchased them in a shop in JoBerg last year because my PH in South Africa was wearing an old pair of Oryx and was so happy with his.

I then took them to the Selous and they were quite supportive and one of the few boots I have had that fit well enough right out of the box to wear all day with no break-in required.

I will take these Oryx boots rather than my Courtneys to Tanzania this August. Because the Oryx laces down closer to the toe and because the leather is more supple they are more comfortable and yet more supportive than Courtneys.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Palmer,

Thanks for the first hand feed back...Are the boots lined at all? If so, what with?

Regards,

Pete

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Pete,

They are not lined except for a some leather around the back at the top of the boot.

Here is a picture of mine in Pierr'es camp in the Selous. I know everyones foot is different but I really like mine and fully expect them to last as long as I am able to hunt.

My PH - Pieter Kriel - who works for Peter Harris had his for several years and wore them every day - even in the off season - however he had put new soles on them at least once.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I have a pair of the Oryx boots and find them very comfortable and do not require 'breaking in'. They are fairly narrow so if you have a particularly broad foot you may have a problem. They have a flat heel and sole (no raised heel)and a very fine terad, both of which assist with very quiet stalking. You can get them with a longer ankle support if this is what you want. Altogether a very comfortable bu tough boot.
Springbok

Posts: 84 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you get too enamored with any boot, make an appointment with your Podiatrist and get a professionally made pair of prescription orthodics. 3-500USD. Also take any pair of boots back to the good doc and have him/her look at your gait with the boots on.

Here's the logic:

1) Most ankle problems are the result of a past injury.
2) The constant re-injuring of the ankle creates a chronic condition. That withstanding, proper foot alignemnt now is a critical issue - Orthodics help with this.
3) Contrary to popular belief higher boots do not necessairly mean more ankle support.
4) Midsole design is another critical issue; too soft-bad, too hard-bad. Too thick-bad!
5) Lasting; curved versus straight - here's where most folks make mistakes on taking recommendations without knowing their particular foot type.

Simple rule: Think of your ankles-legs as the pulley system on your vehicles fan / drive belts - any mis-alignment, and abnormal wear and premature failure will inevitably come to bear. Your body is no different.

Some folks never experience any problems - they have good alignment naturally / never been injured - the rest of us have to do a little thinking about out shoe/ boot selections.

See your doc - It's worth it!
Jeff

PS - I have been an Alpha footwear tester for: Nike Inc., Matterhorn boots, Wolverine, Shimano, Alico S.P.A. and am currently testing product for Bates Inc.