Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bushbuck
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
I was recently at Takeri private reserve on the Kafue and one of the managers shot this gnarly old bushbuck for the kitchen.

I measure the longest horn at 16 inches and if you follow the taper it would have gone at least 19 in it's prime.

Whatever the length an absolute brute of a bushbuck and it is not often you see them broken on both sides.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Very nice lot of character.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How trophies should be measured..imo

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Beauty is in age! At least that works for me! Beautiful, lots of character and most desirable!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Awesome 'kitchen' buck !

But glad I was not sitting down to that meal - aged filet !

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
shoot guinea fowls for the pot instead and leave animals like that for me shocker

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full of character - Dagga Boy classification Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew;

Any idea of its age? Beautiful!

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Shame to shoot that one for the pot. Probably couldn't stick a fork in the gravy. Big Grin
He was a beautiful old bruiser wasn't he?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
He died an old man for sure. tu2 Would have been a wonderful and interesting mount, especially for European clients. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a trophy full of character!

Thanks for the pic Andrew.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
A true trophy like that and a scrum cap buff and I would be over the moon. Smiler

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great trophy.

I am not sure it was that good for dinner! Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hi everyone.... now this is where I have to include Andrew, as when I was invited to join a hunt with him last year he commented that one cannot eat blue duiker or hippo....and as I love cooking as well I had to reply "its not what you cook but how you cook it!!!"
we culled this ram as it was at the end of the season and he was old - I don't think he would have made another season so I thought rather take him out and as we are on private property its a case of letting nothing go to waste.. and we don't have major predators so we do cull older animals - doing what nature would do!
....and he was tasty!! pressure cooker can do wonders plus a bit of spices and curry!

Professional Hunter
Private Game Reserve in Zambia
www.takerireservezambia.com

Posts: 19 | Location: zambia | Registered: 29 November 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:

This season we took 3 top trophies - measuring between 16 and 17" and all with incredibly thick bases - and some of the most beautiful markings -chobe bushbuck

Professional Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mouth is watering. Not just for the taste of him but the thought of having hunted such a magnificent animal.
I LOVE BUSHBUCKS!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
My mouth is watering. Not just for the taste of him but the thought of having hunted such a magnificent animal.
I LOVE BUSHBUCKS!

I agree - nothing beats that early morning stalk - walking as quietly as possible and seeing a big ram before he sees you! I have also being doing a number of blue duiker hunts - also a challenge but so rewarding if you get one!

Professional Hunter