Notify
Tools

Bull Market in Cape Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
quote:
Record prices, which have risen fivefold in six years, are a product of South Africa’s booming game ranching business in which the country’s wealthiest, including Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa and luxury-goods billionaire Johann Rupert, compete to breed the biggest and rarest animals to generate revenue from hunting. Some critics say the price surge is a bubble.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/...-worth-millions.html

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Sounds a lot like the breeding of big whitetail bucks in the US.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Record prices, which have risen fivefold in six years, are a product of South Africa’s booming game ranching business in which the country’s wealthiest, including Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa and luxury-goods billionaire Johann Rupert, compete to breed the biggest and rarest animals to generate revenue from hunting. Some critics say the price surge is a bubble.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/...-worth-millions.html

I have asked over and over on this forum for anyone to justify the cash flows from a $5 mil. breeding stud buff. Ain't a damn race horse. Can create buff that in 7-10 year will be shot for $20K-30K.

My guess is you have "clever" guys in South Africa laundering/evading taxes thru game ranching.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not going to accuse anyone of anything illegal, but I question the whole "game breeding" industry. Especially when it comes to buffalo, my addiction.

Any old bull works for me. A big spread is great, big bosses are even better now, but old, worn horns are what really matter.

You can't do that on a farm. It simply won't work economically. You can't raise an animal for 13 years and have him kill younger upcoming bulls in his lifetime, all on your fenced operation designed to sell a trophy and still make money.

Regardless of species, the same is basically true unless it is a pretty large area and we are talking plains game species who have a limited range.

Not intending to pick a fight, just not my cup of tea.

JMHO. Many may disagree.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Not going to accuse anyone of anything illegal, but I question the whole "game breeding" industry. Especially when it comes to buffalo, my addiction.

Any old bull works for me. A big spread is great, big bosses are even better now, but old, worn horns are what really matter.

You can't do that on a farm. It simply won't work economically. You can't raise an animal for 13 years and have him kill younger upcoming bulls in his lifetime, all on your fenced operation designed to sell a trophy and still make money.

Regardless of species, the same is basically true unless it is a pretty large area and we are talking plains game species who have a limited range.

JMHO. Many may disagree.

Agree

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I will happily hunt plains game in South Africa, but I won't hunt lion or buffalo there.

But, I think we should bare in mind the great strides made by game farmers in South Africa, and good luck to them.

The bit I am not too happy about is the farmed bred animals transported to neighboring countries and shot as free range animals to go in the SCI record book.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:

JMHO. Many may disagree.

+1 - well stated.
Once again you and I are on the same page.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I will happily hunt plains game in South Africa, but I won't hunt lion or buffalo there.

Saeed , there's a difference between hunting on a game ranch or hunting an open system like the APNR which forms part of a greater reserve in excess of 5 million acres. I realize you express your personal view though.
As far as this thread is concerned its really not fair to categorize all South African hunts under the same umbrella.
The game breeding industry reminds me of what happened in Texas ( probably elsewhere also ) I think it was in the 80's with the selling of Ostrich breeding pairs at ridiculously high prices. As long as other new breeders with $ signs in their eyes were buying , all was well. Until the new breeder market was saturated and everything fell apart and they were worthless.
You are of course 100 % correct about the trophy animal on demand thing in our neighboring countries also.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

JMHO. Many may disagree.

I have taken a single buff on a ranch on the RSA. The buff was taken after following it 18 miles in extreme heat. I would absolutely call that fair chase. It certainly required more effort that the other 42 buff I have taken where there were no fences.

The problem is, as I see it, that all ranches are not the same. Some would amount to executions, others would not.

I also don't see how this could ever be profitable. There has to be more to this than meets the eye. I have been asked to invest in breeding buff before. I always said no way without hesitation.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember this. Tulip bulb bubble

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Saeed , there's a difference between hunting on a game ranch or hunting an open system like the APNR which forms part of a greater reserve in excess of 5 million acres. I realize you express your personal view though.

Totally agree! I've experienced both in SA, there's really no comparison. There are some real exceptions in SA for excellent DG hunting.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why does RSA have to justify their game ranching industry to us or anyone else?

Game ranching is a win-win-win for game-hunters-economy.

There is likely more game in RSA and Namibia than ever (and increasing), which contrasts sharply with Kenya, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botwana, Angola, Zambia, and the like.

The future looks bright for RSA and Namibia.

Why criticize what's working?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, Aaron, Acdley and others:

I'm not saying there are not fair chase buffalo hunts in South Africa. That is simply not true. Rare, but available.

Larry, I've never hunted buffalo in South Africa so it does not surprise me that you had a great fair chase hunt for a good bull. You have far more experience on buffalo than I, or probably almost anyone on this site. Your property owner, on the other hand, had no incentive to let an animal mature beyond his prime trophy quality. Perhaps he allowed that (I've known some quirky landwowners who weren't interested in maximizing profits). But most places, an old male who has lost most interest in breeding is just another animal grazing limited grass. They won't last long if the rancher/farmer considers economics.

Aaron, I assume you are referring to places next to Kruger. That, of course is a real exception.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trapper Tom:

I'm a rather slow beast, but rather curious. While that means I'd probably get trapped, I really don't understand the tulip link. Could you please explain?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trapper Tom:

I'm a rather slow beast, but rather curious. While that means I'd probably get trapped, I really don't understand the tulip link. Could you please explain?

Tulip mania was the first well documented (of many to come) financial bubbles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

A worthless object like a tulip become a national obsession and price went parabolic. Then they burst.

Stud Cape Buffalo for $5 mil. is the South African version of a bubble. An asset whose value is not justified by the cash flow it generates.

Often justified on selling to a greater fool at a higher price down the road.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it Beretta. What happened 400 years ago with flowers might be repeating itself with livestock. I'll have to contemplate that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, I'd never pay 5 million anything (other than Tanzanian shillings) for any animal. Not without a really good business plan.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your property owner, on the other hand, had no incentive to let an animal mature beyond his prime trophy quality.

IDK, this buff I took in RSA is obviously past his prime trophy quality with worn tips and a huge boss worn smooth. Of course, he was never a 40"+ bull but this old boy was certainly allowed to live past his prime on a RSA ranch.

The point being that there is a HUGE range of buffalo hunting experiences available in RSA ranging from a "turkey shoot" on very small properties to a very challenging and often frustrating hunt on the larger ranches. And I'll say this particular bull gave me a great hunting experience, on a fenced ranch to boot.

I've hunted ranch buff in RSA and wild buff in Zim, numerous times for each. They are different animals. Where the wild buff on a concession will somewhat tolerate you while tracking and working the herd, temporarily pausing to face you and look you over while you do the same to them, the ranch variety KNOW exactly what you are and what you are about. The slightest sound, sight, or smell of human and they are off to the races without a nano second's hesitation.

I've hunted those RSA ranch buff several times and can honestly say that's been some of the most fun I've had on safari. Put those skittish ranch buff on a 10,000 acre tract and you might go a week or so without so much as a single sighting. Point being ... don't underestimate the quality of the experience, assuming of course a proper set up with adequate acreage. Put them on a 1,000 acre fenced area and it's just shooting cattle.

All that said, I also have never been able to find justification for some of the $$$s being paid for breeder bulls. Definitely a bubble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got it Beretta. What happened 400 years ago with flowers might be repeating itself with livestock. I'll have to contemplate that.

Asset/Financial bubbles keep repeating - human nature. Buffalo might be the latest but I bet it wont be the last.

Internet/telcom stocks, sub prime, us real estate, japanese real estate, japanese stocks, the list never ends.

Stud Cape Buffaloes join some illustrious companions.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
High prices for breeding stock of legitimate species such as buffalo is understandable. I suppose. Yes there are people, not to be confused with hunters who will buy their way into the record book. For me personally it goes against the principles of Free Chase.
The Game Breeding industry is however busy building another house of cards. They are obsessed with breeding colour variants of many plains game species, and every Tom Dick and Harry with a small patch of land is climbing onto this bandwagon. Some critics have even accused this industry of breeding circus animals, i.e. freaks

The auction house, Vleissentraal’s price list reads as follows;
yellow blesbok ram – R319 000
copper blesbuck ram – R900 000
White saddleback blesbuck ram – R2 250 000
king wildebeest bull – R3 850 000
golden wildebeest bull R769 091

Other colour varients are being sold; the so called golden gemsbuck, black impala, black saddle-backed impala and even a coffee coloured springbuck ram sold for R3 400 000.

Local hunters spend 10 billion rand a year on day fees, animals and travel, and are by and large meat hunters. Foreign Trophy hunters spend 1 billion rand annually on day fees and the trophy animal, and this figure excludes ancillary costs. Many will want to register their trophys.

Who will be the end consumer of these animals once the breeders market is saturated?

Posts: 265 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Your property owner, on the other hand, had no incentive to let an animal mature beyond his prime trophy quality.

IDK, this buff I took in RSA is obviously past his prime trophy quality with worn tips and a huge boss worn smooth. Of course, he was never a 40"+ bull but this old boy was certainly allowed to live past his prime on a RSA ranch.

The point being that there is a HUGE range of buffalo hunting experiences available in RSA ranging from a "turkey shoot" on very small properties to a very challenging and often frustrating hunt on the larger ranches. And I'll say this particular bull gave me a great hunting experience, on a fenced ranch to boot.

I've hunted ranch buff in RSA and wild buff in Zim, numerous times for each. They are different animals. Where the wild buff on a concession will somewhat tolerate you while tracking and working the herd, temporarily pausing to face you and look you over while you do the same to them, the ranch variety KNOW exactly what you are and what you are about. The slightest sound, sight, or smell of human and they are off to the races without a nano second's hesitation.

I've hunted those RSA ranch buff several times and can honestly say that's been some of the most fun I've had on safari. Put those skittish ranch buff on a 10,000 acre tract and you might go a week or so without so much as a single sighting. Point being ... don't underestimate the quality of the experience, assuming of course a proper set up with adequate acreage. Put them on a 1,000 acre fenced area and it's just shooting cattle.

All that said, I also have never been able to find justification for some of the $$$s being paid for breeder bulls. Definitely a bubble.

Nice pic Todd, good to see you posting.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Good to see you back Todd.

And a much better trophy that those that go with inches and don't look half as impressive.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Asset/Financial bubbles keep repeating - human nature. Buffalo might be the latest but I bet it wont be the last.

Internet/telcom stocks, sub prime, us real estate, japanese real estate, japanese stocks, the list never ends.

Mike

I have a guaranteed way for the bubble to burst. I will invest in the buff. That should bring the prices down in short order!

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trapper Tom:

Beretta answered it for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trapper Tom:
quote:
Trapper Tom:

Beretta answered it for me. We also had a fur bubble for the past 3 years. It burst this year.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well said that man.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:

Well said that man.

I would say VERY well said!

What was said for buffalo hunting "behind a high fence" is also very true for other plains game hunting. Sure there is a lot of "Put & Take" shooting going on, both on small fenced areas, but sometimes even on large fenced and even un-fenced properties. But on't throw everything away just because there are some who bring clients under the wrong impression about what and how they will hunt. As Todd said so well: You can have a wonderful hunting experience behind a high fence!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fact that Cape buffalo in RSA are fetching a very price is good and bad news.

The good news in that game animals are highly valued, and in a world dominated by humans and money, IF IT PAYS IT STAYS. Thus, I think game animals - for now - will be staying and increasing in number.

The bad news is that in RSA trophy fees are getting quite expensive. On my last trip to RSA the fee for a Cape buffalo was $14,000. Other fees were also high.

I hope RSA game ranchers don't price themselves out of the market!!

IMO, game ranchers need to reduce trophy fees.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

I have a guaranteed way for the bubble to burst. I will invest in the buff. That should bring the prices down in short order!

Let me get a borrow before you invest Cool

Hunting farms/ranches in South Africa have been an home run. I think they are up multi-fold between 2000-2015 even adjusted for any currency depreciation.

I know one former South African who was so worried about crime ect that be decided to buy a 2K acre hunting preserve in Nebraska. He should have gone back to his old homeland. Limpopo would have been a home run.

Still the prices for stud buffalo make little sense. $5 mil. for a breeding stud buff !

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd:

That is a very nice old bull. To me, Old is the most important quality. Like those slick bosses.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Shooting fish in a barrel is still shooting fish in a barrel, no matter the size of the fish.

Much better and more satisfying to hunt and kill one that is wild, and in the wild, on his own turf.

Like Todd's. Give me a shot at an ancient bull like his, anytime, over some half tame but bigger bull, bred to be shot in a barrel, no matter how much bigger he may be.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope RSA game ranchers don't price themselves out of the market!!

I hope they price themselves out of the market sooner than later. Even the fees for "biltong bokke" has become exorbitant.

If this bubble burst tomorrow most of the hunters in RSA will "jabula".

Posts: 67 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 19 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of infinito
posted Hide Post
My other question I have for a lot of these "super breeders" is that: When does conservation outweigh the greed for money......(or vice versa)

I had a meeting with one not long ago, the only time he smiled was when he gloated on how much he got for his black impala rams......

We hunt some of these huge properties, and we are pleased to be associated with them, but for the others.....they simply p*&£ss me off!!!

Charl van Rooyen
Owner
Infinito Travel Group
www.infinito-safaris.com
charl@infinito-safaris.com
Cell: +27 78 444 7661
Tel: +27 13 262 4077
Fax:+27 13 262 3845
Hereford Street 28A
Groblersdal
Limpopo
R.S.A.

"For the Infinite adventure"

Plains Game
Dangerous Game
Bucket List Specialists
Wing-Shooting
In House Taxidermy Studio
In House Dip and Pack Facility
In House Shipping Service
Non-Hunting Tours and Safaris
Flight bookings

"I promise every hunter visiting us our personal attention from the moment we meet you, until your trophies hang on your wall. Our all inclusive service chain means you work with one person (me) taking responsibility during the whole process. Affordable and reputable Hunting Safaris is our game! With a our all inclusive door to door service, who else do you want to have fun with?"

South Africa
Tanzania
Uganda

Posts: 2018 | Location: South Africa,Tanzania & Uganda | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I hunted buff outside Kruger and it was a workout in comparison to Zim
Every time we got on some Bulls the damn lions would push them and then elephants would get in the way
Tough tough hunt

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a simple question of economics, Everybody that predicts this bubble is going to burst, and wile they say it the price goes up... I am A outfitter and a rancher the bottom line is if you have 5000 or 6000 acres it makes much more scene having game that makes money on it and trust me if you were that farmer with black impala rams you would also be smiling at the moment Regarding the local hunters I am sorry for them but for way to long the ranchers got the same money for A kudu and impala hell guys be happy for the ranchers that they finally start making good money. And when this bubble " burst" buffalo will still be worth more than cattle. I started investing in buffalo 7 years ago and will keep on doing so up to know it paid of.

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys sorry there is a couple typo errors in previous post bloody touch screens...

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Agreed Philip
SA and Namib brought African hunting to middle class Americans
Everyone else rode on their coattails

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote