New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bondo or Oil in Hippo Tusks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Darrell McMicken (my taxidermist) told me that he fills hippo tusks with Bondo to keep them from cracking. Alister Norton told me to fill them with mineral oil and seal them with wax. I have hippo tusks that I need to do something with. Has anyone ever used either of these methods and did it prevent cracking?

Cheers,
Andy

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Bondo is very weak and I don't see how it would stop the tusks from cracking.

On warthog lower tusks I have used clear epoxy to fill the nerve cavity. I have not had a set crack yet. I do soak then in oil after filling the cavity.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

On warthog lower tusks I have used clear epoxy to fill the nerve cavity. I have not had a set crack yet. I do soak then in oil after filling the cavity.

Is that the epoxy that comes in two tubes that you mix together? Also, what kind of oil do you use?

Thanks.
Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

Atcheson Taxidermy did some for me 10 years ago and they are still fine. Call Tom Hardesty 1-406-782-0569 the owner of Atcheson taxidermy, tell him I referred you and ask about what he recommends. You need to do something ASAP as the tusks will dry out and just split into two pieces.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adrook:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

Is that the epoxy that comes in two tubes that you mix together? Also, what kind of oil do you use?

Thanks.
Andy

I used the clear two part stuff that comes in a syringe.

For oil I would use either mineral oil or glycerine. DO NOT use vegetable oil, it will turn them yellow.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll call Tom. I think they're okay for now as I have them oiled up pretty good with mineral oil and wrapped in oily rags.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used silicon out of a tube in mine along with my wart hog tusks and never had a problem and also polished the out side with car polish never had any split and the tusks are ten years old

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmer's School glue. It's made of hoof and horn already and dries clear. Recoat every couple of years. I've used this on whale, bear, and hog teeth and skulls with good results.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote