Find
Notify
Tools

The Macomber Affair
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Watching on TCM, the adaptation of Hemingway's The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber. Sprinkling of African hunt jargon to keep it mildly interesting to the familiar but so silly and melodramatic.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Not as good as the story, but worthwhile overall.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep the "Macomber Affair" and "Lion" recorded so I can get my East African fix from time to time. The acting... not so much.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I don't get TCM with Comcast--at least, not on my lowest-cost plan.

Years ago I obtained a "bootleg" DVD of "The Macomber Affair." Quality is pretty minimal but to my knowledge there's no commercial DVD available. If that's not true any longer, I'll buy one. I like the movie.

"The Macomber Affair" was an early Gregory Peck offering. Also an early role for Robert Preston, who went on to be "The Music Man" and an alien in "The Last Starfighter."

When I taught high school English, I had my student read "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" and then watch the movie. We discussed the differences, why some events were changed around, the addition of extra characters, and so forth.

It was my way of sneaking African safari experiences into the classroom.

My main beef with the movie is that the ending was "Hollywooded Up." Plus, you know from the first that Macomber is dead. I wonder why the script didn't follow the short story more closely?

Also, Robert Preston didn't match the description of Macomber--should have been a taller, lankier actor.

Still, with all its limitation, there's one (sad) fact remaining: that movie would never be made today.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Macomber Affair was Ker and Downey's first effort in the safari game. Ironically, Syd Downey was a protege of Philip Percival, upon whom the character of the professional hunter was based. The description in the Hemingway story is of PP, while Gregory Peck looked nothing like him. In fact, Peck much more resembled Hemingway's description of Macomber. The whole point of the short story was lost in the film version, but there is a good deal of genuine African footage.

I hunted with Ker, Downey & Selby on all three of my African hunts, and actually met Donald Ker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The changed ending was the result of the old "production code." In those days, wrongdoers could not go unpunished.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Here is a link for the story in print........

http://www15.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/macomber.html

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder why the script didn't follow the short story more closely?

Because 'Hollywood' always thinks they can do better than Pulitzer Prize winning authors and classics (The Hobbit for example) that have stood the test of time.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO, no movie could do the book justice. The lion charge passage, written from the lion's prospective, is one of the highlights of 20th century literature. More importantly (to me) it embodies the the essence of dangerous game and dangerous game hunting. Following the wounded lion into the grass is the moral justification for dangerous game hunting.

To borrow a phrase from Shakespeare, the rest is nothing more than the story of s cuckold and a whore. Smiler

Brett

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The entire story is told in the title's omitted comma: The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

Hemingway was a craftsman as much as an artist.

The film isn't half bad, but they lost me when they changed the title.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed Hemmingway's short story. The film ... Well, it's better than something that's not about Africa.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Book is always better

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Hemingway's works never seemed to translate well to film, and I think that's because only the story lines and characters' dialog could be copied. What's missing are Hemingway's narratives, his innovative and unique style of writing with descriptions that came alive on paper but couldn't be replicated on the silver screen.

After all, the Nobel Prize he won was awarded "for his mastery of the art of narrative, most recently demonstrated in The Old Man and the Sea, and for the influence that he has exerted on contemporary style".

Some art just needs to remain in its original form; filming Hemingway's novels and short stories in sort of like trying to make a movie about a Van Gogh painting.

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like how the "short happy life" is actually when the PH convinced and Macomber realized he was not a true coward and would leave his awful cheating nagging wife. Then she shot him. Classic!

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See my Hemingway post in the Micellaneous section

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised by the negative comments toward the film. This could not, would not, be done today even with better acting, color, and a story that followed the book more closely.
I watch my dvd copy 2-3 times per year and love it.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was watching a YouTube video of an elephant hunt the other day (forget which one exactly) and just prior to the shot, the PH grabbed a big handful of the client's shirt. I wondered if that was to keep the client from running away before or after the shot?

It reminded me of the Hemingway story (minus the feces of course).

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If my PH ever grabs me, like I've seen in some of those videos, he will be picking himself off the ground shortly thereafter and we will have a failed safari.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe Coogan sent this to me today. Might be of interest to those interested in Africana.

Hi Mark,

I see on AR the discussion regarding Hemingway's short story, "The Short Happy Life…" and the movie.

Harry Selby told me that while sitting around the campfire during the "Green Hills" safari, Percival told Hemingway about a true story involving Col. J.H. Patterson, author of The Man-eaters of Tsavo. This was the basis for Hemingway's subsequent short story. Here's how Wikipedia describes the incident:

Game warden and Blyth[edit]Colonial Secretary Lord Elgin, appointed Colonel Patterson to the post of Game Warden — that is, superintendent of game reserves in the East Africa Protectorate, an experience he recounts in his second book, In the Grip of Nyika (1909).
While on a safari with Audley Blyth, a son of James Blyth, 1st Baron Blyth, and Blyth's wife Ethel, Patterson's reputation was tarnished by Blyth's death by a gunshot wound (possible suicide – exact circumstances unknown). Witnesses confirmed that Patterson was not in Blyth's tent when the shooting took place, and that it was in fact Blyth's wife who was with him at the time, as she was reported as having run screaming from the tent immediately following the shooting. Patterson had Blyth buried in the wilderness and then insisted on continuing the expedition instead of returning to the nearest post to report the incident.
Shortly after, in poor health, Patterson returned to England with Mrs Blyth amid rumours of murder and an affair. Although he was never officially charged or censured, this incident followed him for years after in British society and in the army. His case was raised in Parliament in April 1909.[6] The incident was referenced in the film The Macomber Affair (1947), which was based on Ernest Hemingway's The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber (1936).
Thought you would be interested in the "how come?" of the story--feel free to post on AR if you'd like to.
Hope you and Sadie are well, and

Joe Coogan
2295 Marsh Harbor Ave.
Merritt Island, FL 32952

joecoogan@icloud.com
(321)480 2300
www.africaallways.com

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
If my PH ever grabs me, like I've seen in some of those videos, he will be picking himself off the ground shortly thereafter and we will have a failed safari.

I have seen PHs do that to better position the client for a shot--but I agree, I'd not want to be jerked around by the PH or anyone. Demeaning and insulting--if a PH needs to help a hunter get to a better vantage point, a whisper would be appropriate, I think.

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC