THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Mountain Buffalo Hunting: Mile High Club
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Buffalo Hunting: Mile High Club
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very excited 43 hours from take off, but the math adds up to 43.5 hours of actual in flight time. With 10 airports, layovers and sitting at the gate or gathering luggage and fighting burro-crats. I'm guessing 55 hours of airport time total. I really love hunting in places I have never been, but there is always a cost for your passion. Oh well, beats working, I hope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SG Olds,
A belated bon voyage and (don't) break a leg!
Hope you are experiencing a smooth ride about now.
Hope you can post a pic or two, or more, when you get back from Loosimingor.
May the red gods smile upon you, and not turn blue at altitude.
Some sun along with the fog and rain also. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks RIP,

I'm sitting in the Portland Delta Club waiting to fly to Amsterdam. Somebody should start a discussion of funny TSA storys. Today there was this old guy right in front of us and they kept asking him to empty his pockets so he could be xrayed. He kept arguing about his stuff and he didnt want to put it in the bin. A bunch of loose paper coins and a little paper money. It was hilarious. Another guy too our left had ammunition in his carry on. He wanted to make sure it made it since it was $15/round. I hope he ain't hunting near me. I give the TSA full credit. I would have Tasered both of them then gone on break. Especially the dumb ass hunter. We really need to police our ranks or somebody else will.

Very soon now.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Good luck, SG.

I plan on bowhunting buffalo with Rainer this year. That's not a very high probability of achieving the mile high club, but maybe I'll get a shot.
Please let us know how it went when you get back.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
What is the ideal Mountain Buffalo Rifle/African Sheep rifle?
After the stainless-synthetic spec for the rainforest,
Saeed's .375/404 Jeffery would be hard to beat.
Of course none is much good if you can't see the buffalo due to vegetation.

There is no such thing as a brush-bucking bullet, but an FN solid might be the best bullet choice for whatever rifle is chosen.
A Walterhog in the chamber, and a magazine full of FN solids ...
If you shoot through the buffalo on the mountainside, the slope behind it will stop the bullet.
Any game animal behind it will be at a different elevation.
No worries about herd-shooting shoot-throughs.
Hard to get a buffalo herd to line up for you in that terrain. Wink

RIP, I think you'd like your 49/338Lapua. I've never hunted up high like that, but if I get the chance I would want a 500AccRel. Lighter and shorter than my Rigby and a bigger hole is better, especially when there is brush around that might move a bullet slightly off target (or worse).

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,

After seeing how long the ranges can be on the mountain, as well as how close and brushy they can be, and how varied the game: .375 to .395 caliber Wink

Just keep a magazine full of FN solids for the close-in brush work.
FN solids: Only thing to give any edge in brush, and a .375/300-grainer is big enough.

The .375 and .395 caliber FNs are easier to get to feed perfectly than the 50 cals. Wink

Reach out better also with a "pointy" of .375 to .395 caliber Wink, 300 to 340 grains.

Such "African Mountain Buffalo and Sheep Rifles" allow lighter weight rifles for high altitude carry that won't hurt the hunter's shoulder as much as the buffalo's.

Just keeping the thread alive until the hunter comes home from the hill.
Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
After seeing how long the ranges can be on the mountain, as well as how close and brushy they can be, and how varied the game: .375 to .395 caliber Wink

Just keep a magazine full of FN solids for the close-in brush work.
FN solids: Only thing to give any edge in brush, and a .375/300-grainer is big enough.

The .375 and .395 caliber FNs are easier to get to feed perfectly than the 50 cals. Wink

Reach out better also with a "pointy" of .375 to .395 caliber Wink, 300 to 340 grains.

Such "African Mountain Buffalo and Sheep Rifles" allow lighter weight rifles for high altitude carry that won't hurt the hunter's shoulder as much as the buffalo's.

Just keeping the thread alive until the hunter comes home from the hill.
Thanks.

It sounds a little bit like wishful thinking, RIP, justifying a trip for your new gun. But you will have to admit that a heavier FN solid is better than a lighter FN solid in brush. An extra 50+% weight will not guarantee reaching a target, but it will help, at least a little bit.

As for long range, your 500Mbogo can do 2800fps with 450grainers. what more you want? We do the same 2800 with a comfortable 416 in 350gr, now TTSX with a BC of .444.

for myself, I might walk around the back of Mt.Monduli, NW of Arusha this year. My son would be carrying 2800fps 416Rigby for 'long'. Hopefully, my 500AccR would be ready and in place by then. However, I don't know of buffalo on that mountain. We'll need to learn the lay of the land and see what's there, first.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --

one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,
Now you have put a bee in my bonnet!
Build a featherweight .375/404 Jeffery Saeed of 2012 that
I might be able to carry up the mountain without portable oxygen:
1 pound stock balanced by a 23" No.3 sporter barrel.
Either M70 action or an M98 (opened up to 3.6" box length) will comprise the middle of the rifle.
Should weigh about 6.75 to 7.00 pounds dry.
I started with a .375 Weatherby 25 years ago.
Had the 6.75 pound .375 H&H along the way.
A 7-pound .375/404 Jeffery is the ultimate hunting rifle, end of story.

Thank you!

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
416Tanzan,
Now you have put a bee in my bonnet!
Build a featherweight .375/404 Jeffery Saeed of 2012 that
I might be able to carry up the mountain without portable oxygen:
1 pound stock balanced by a 23" No.3 sporter barrel.
Either M70 action or an M98 (opened up to 3.6" box length) will comprise the middle of the rifle.
Should weigh about 6.75 to 7.00 pounds dry.
I started with a .375 Weatherby 25 years ago.
Had the 6.75 pound .375 H&H along the way.
A 7-pound .375/404 Jeffery is the ultimate hunting rifle, end of story.

Thank you!

I'm glad to be of help. My pleasure.

However, after looking at the video again of Sa`iid up on the mountain one might re-consider building that featherweight with more diameter. Sa`iid knows how to shoot better than anyone and that buffalo just absorbed all those hits and kept going. A lightweight 49-10 would be better in that thick stuff.
Your call. It's your hunt.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo hunt on Mount Gelai

Nine shots including at least one 450 Vincent about midway?

Caliber does not matter in brush like that as long as it is .375 minimum.
An FN solid instead of a Walterhog after the first shot might have ended it sooner.

Caliber does matter for the longer shots when offerred, making the .375 the best overall/all-around.

Remember Jack O'Connor with a .416 Rigby and PH with heavy NE double having similar results?
It happens with cape buffalo.

I now have on order 2 barrels for .375-caliber bullets:

1. Dan Lilja #6 Sporter-fluted-stainless-1:12" TWIST-6-groove: for CZ 550 Magnum with 3.8" box length
2. PAC-NOR #3 Sporter-Super Match-stainless-1:10" TWIST-6-groove: for M70 or M98 with 3.6" box length

We'll see eventually how they work out,
there's always a 9.5-pound 500 Mbogo or 49-10 to fall back on as backup, from gunbearer handoff: Wink

Why has no one besides Saeed done this before?
There.
Got it in one more time thanks to 416Tanzan's inspiration. tu2

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buffalo hunt on Mount Gelai

Nine shots including at least one 450 Vincent about midway?

Caliber does not matter in brush like that as long as it is .375 minimum.
An FN solid instead of a Walterhog after the first shot might have ended it sooner.

. . .

Why has no one besides Saeed done this before?
There.
Got it in one more time thanks to 416Tanzan's inspiration. tu2

You're welcome, again. beer

And again, bringing a light refreshing mountain rain fishing :

Why not done before? Can't say. Maybe people thought that the 378Weatherby had the niche.
Now, of course, we have factory 375RUM with maybe 2 grains popcorn extra capacity than your design.

As I mentioned earlier:
quote:
But you will have to admit that a heavier FN solid is better than a lighter FN solid in brush. An extra 50+% weight will not guarantee reaching a target, but it will help , at least a little bit.

The 300 grain .375" is a great bullet, but a larger calibre with a similar SD (and length/twist suitability) will be more stable in the small twigs and grass. Physics. Preserving that forward angular momentum Think of a bowling ball vs. a billiard ball to get the direction of the feelings set right. No guarantees, no such thing in hunting. But larger diameter bores are definitely more help, other things being kept reasonably equal.

If we were up on Losimingori and you let me choose a 375Jeff-Saeed/RUM or a 500Mbogo as we headed out into the mists, I would grab the 500Mbogo (handloaded to capacity). The RUM might gain 2-3 inches between 300-400 yards but I would plan on shooting the buff at under 220yds, assuming perfect, vegetation-less visability, and more likely 25-50 yards, like in the video.

If I had to choose my 416Rigby (handloaded to capacity) or a 500AccR, I would go with the .510" AccR. The 500AccR (we've nicknamed it kichaa mia-tano 'crazy 500' even before taking possession) will also be a pound lighter, not too much more than a 375Ruger Alaskan. But if, for example, I were presented with a 375Ruger/RUM/Jeff-S or 'no hunt', then I'd go hunting. tu2 Hey, I'd even take a 338 up on that mountain, too, loaded with FN solids and raptors in the pocket for longshots.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
SG Olds,
How'd it go?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see the 375-404 Jeffrey/Saeed has ~107.2 grs H20 capacity, and that is the same as a 375 H&H Ackley Improved. I'm surprised, I thought it would be essentially the same as the 375 RUM, which has ~115 grs. H2O capacity. Interesting. Regards, AIU

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
I see the 375-404 Jeffrey/Saeed has ~107.2 grs H20 capacity, and that is the same as a 375 H&H Ackley Improved. I'm surprised, I thought it would be essentially the same as the 375 RUM, which has ~115 grs. H2O capacity. Interesting. Regards, AIU

In order to compare capacities one needs to use the same counting system. In the AmmoGuide system the 375 RUM is 109.4 grains water and the 375 Improved is 97.8 grains water. The H&H is 89.1.

So basically the Jeffrey-Saeed and the 375 RUM will have the same potential ballistics and they will be about 125fps faster than than Improved version of the 375H&H, other things being equal. The Improved, in turn, carries about a 75 fps advantage over the H&H, other things being equal, and the 378 does about 300-350 fps over the H&H, or another 125 over the RUM.

It's all a function of capacity and pressures.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to normal now. Yuck!

I got my mile high Buffalo and a Maasai Bushbuck. After that we went down to the flats to hunt different terrain and different animals. Hemingway country. It was a fantastic experience. I will do a report when I get the courage to face my nemesis, posting photos!

For those that love just hunting Buffalo, I don't recommend a mountain hunt. Why? Because like me now, you will not be satisfied hunting them anywhere else.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
More, more.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Back to normal now. Yuck!

I got my mile high Buffalo and a Maasai Bushbuck. After that we went down to the flats to hunt different terrain and different animals. Hemingway country. It was a fantastic experience. I will do a report when I get the courage to face my nemesis, posting photos!

For those that love just hunting Buffalo, I don't recommend a mountain hunt. Why? Because like me now, you will not be satisfied hunting them anywhere else.

SG Olds,
clap
Thanks. Good to hear of your success.
Dribble some stories and a few pics here, please!

AIU,
416Tanzan has covered it.
The ammoguide numbers should be considered a unitless ratio of external case dimensions, plus or minus some constant known only to ammoguide,
not true gross water capacity in grains.

Actual brass water capacity measures from Saeed, years ago, IIRC, suggested about 119 grains gross water capacity for his cartridge with Norma brass.

I measured the .375 RUM brass and got about 120 grains gross water.

The .375 RUM is made of different composition, and may be of differing density and thickness of brass internally than the Norma brass.

Norma .375/404 Jeffery brass should be of highest quality possible.
Consider the Norma-made .375 Weatherby Magnum brass that has 111.5 grains of gross water capacity (at 2.860" maximum brass length),
though the ammoguide system shows it with a smaller "number."
Norma-made .375 WbyMag brass has greater capacity than any other brass formed from other .375 H&H brass, as I have found from actual measurements,
even when all are trimmed to the same length. Wink

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RIP:

SG Olds,
clap
Thanks. Good to hear of your success.
Dribble some stories and a few pics here, please!

Yes Please!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:

In order to compare capacities one needs to use the same counting system. In the AmmoGuide system the 375 RUM is 109.4 grains water and the 375 Improved is 97.8 grains water. The H&H is 89.1.

So basically the Jeffrey-Saeed and the 375 RUM will have the same potential ballistics and they will be about 125fps faster than than Improved version of the 375H&H, other things being equal. The Improved, in turn, carries about a 75 fps advantage over the H&H, other things being equal, and the 378 does about 300-350 fps over the H&H, or another 125 over the RUM.

It's all a function of capacity and pressures.

I'm not sure what the "ammoguide" system is, but Quickload lists the case capacity for the 375 Weatherby and 375 H&H AI at 105 grs.of H20 for each. I've measured both at the bench and the 375 Weatherby holds 105 grs and the 375 H&H AI holds 107 grs. Quickload lists the 375 RUM at 117 grs of powder, I've measured it at 115 grs. and my 416 RUM holds 120 grs of H20. 375 AI, 375 RUM and 416 RUM are Remington cases. Norma should be more capacious.

Apparently Saeed has measure his 375/404 at ~119 grs. H20 capacity. Likely Normal brass, I assume.

Using Quickload and keeping everthing the same, including the nebulous "weighting factor," the 375 H&H Ackley Improved gets ~110 fps more with a 300 gr. bullet than the parent 375 H&H, and the 375 RUM gets ~75 fps more than the 375 H&H Ackley Improved, that's at 117% filling capacity, which means some powder compression for all and using the slowest available powder (usually Normal MRP) to bring all to the same PSI.

Actually, in the field (IMO) aim point and bullet selection will make more practical difference than any of the mild ballistic differences between these three cartridges - that is, if you're a reloader. However, these differences are magnified, if you're restricted to using commercially available ammo.

Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've decide not to put pictures up. I've done it before for my 2 hunts to Cameroon, but I just think its too self agrandizing for me personally. That's not quite right, it's more like publicizing something very personal almost religious to me. It just makes me uncomfortable.

I am not criticizing those who do so.

I will share pictures or information or talk privately with anyone seriously interested. Just send me a PM with an email address.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen SG Olds mountain buffalo and Maasai bush buck: Excellent

That has got to be the grandest hunting experience on the planet.

To all you mountain buffalo hunters: clap

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
And he used the 416Rigby (AHR). Good calibre if one needs a little reach, though the 49-10 and 500AccR would be nice in some of that 12ft brush, especially if down around 10lbs carrying weight.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+