New
Find
Notify
Tools

open sights DGR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here's the situation. I just got a .404 jeffery with express sights and was wondering how many of you have DGR's that you use without a scope. I just think with such a nice set of sights it's almost a shame to scope such a beautiful gun. I don't know if there's a scope that's worthy. Generally I use scopes. I shoot a peep sight on my muzzleloaders. My eyes are fine to use sights and that's one less thing to go wrong on a gun. If I did scope it it would be a straight 4x or 1x-5x variable. So how many of you in the real world are shooting buff, lion, elephant etc. with express sights only (on a bolt gun)?

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can see well enough to use them open sights are fine. The purpose of the scope is to inflict disabling injuries to that buffalo before he knows your a threat. After the first shot pinpoint accuracy isnt as much your job as it is your PH's. Most of us can do better with the first shot with a scope and if we do our job the only PH that will need to empty his gun is Mark Sullivan.

Posts: 294 | Location: carmichael,califoenia,usa | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be one of those rare individuals that still shoots irons...My 30-30s, 25-35, 7x57 375, 470, 450-400, 458 Win. are iron sighted guns. All shallow V except the 25-35 and the 458 which have a peep sight.

That said I don't own a big game rifle without iron sights and Quick Detach mounts, mostly Talleys. Not likely I ever will on a big game rifle, with the exception of my 6x45 that I use on deer, antelope once in a while.

I hunt a lot, using iron sights...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I am shooting express sights on my New Ruger 458Lott...I did change the bead a larger one and have also installed a QR Leupold 1.5/5X but I am leaning to use only the express sights..I can shoot both ways, but I want the up close and personal way with looking right down the barrel at M'bogo...August of 04...IMO

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to iron sights more & more. I especially like the lyman #2. I am considering the QR mount with the peep on my next rifle.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
My .404 will be finished soon & it has a single express 'V' & NECG front w/ the large/med. flip site. I plan on scoping but I am good w/ express sites out to 75yds or so.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Within standard African ranges I have no problem with iron sights. However, with my trifocals and lack of opportunity to practice very often, I insist on peeps. That saying, my .450 Rigby, .404 Jeff, 9.3x62 and .318 WR all wear them.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose one of the reasons I like iron sights is because I was raised shooting them, not scopes, they came later and we put the Weavers on our low comb M-70s and the because I grew up using low combs and scopes it just naturally suited a rifle for both irons and scopes with any notion of being at a disadvantage, which I am not...

But the real reason is because its fun to use iron sights, the guns handle better and are easier to pack around...

I would never argue iron sights are better than a scope but I feel that up to 200 yards or more I am not at much of a disadvantage 95% of time on big game...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote