New
Find
Notify
Tools

Day Pack?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As you guy's have probably figured out I'm totally new to this and will be doing a Plains game hunt next spring so if my questions become to boring just let me know and I'll shut upSmiler. What is the size of the ' Day pack ' I keep hearing about? Don't have an idea of what size it should be. Thanks, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smoker - I usually take a small size daypack out everyday. Things like meds, sunscreen, cameras, extra clothes (light, jacket, another hat) my own water with rehydration mix in it, and some power bars, small 1st aid kit. Depending on the plan for the day, sometimes I let one of the trackers carry it, if short jaunts are in order I leave it on the hunting car. In Moz it was always in the boat when hunting crocs and hippo.

For plains game I wouldn't worry too much about it as most times you are not too far from the vehicle or camp areas. I carry a knife, small camera, on my web shell belt and that's with me at all times. Hope this helps?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Larry, appreciate your info. I didn't think I would need the type of pack I used for Bear hunting...too big. Wanted to be perpared. Thanks again, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
A small daypack or a good fanny pack have always accompanied me on 7 Safaris. Please make sure that sunscreen is part of it and that you wear a good hat. I have had two skin cancers removed from my ears in the past two months and have another suspected one that will be checked in a couple of weeks.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Although I didn't have it or use it in Africa, my wife recently gave me a CamelBak MULE that I've taken quite a shine to. It carries up to 100 ounces of water and has two small pockets that can carry miscellaneous gear. I carry spare gloves, snacks (actually enough food for 2-3 meals), firestarting gear, rubber field dressing gloves, flagging, para cord, camera, etc. Plus, it has MOLLE attachments for adding extra pouches if it's not enough. The pack is narrow enough to shoulder carry a rifle, but rugged enough to work well in the field. For day hunting with a truck or camp as the base, I've found it indispensable.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smoker1:

First off, congrats on your first trip to Africa.

As far as daypacks go, IMHO they aren't really needed for on most PG hunts, as Larry mentioned, you are usually not that far from the vehicle.

This is what I use. I use a mid size pack as my carry on and can get 2-3 days clothes, boots, binos, etc needed for travelling and, very importantly, if my luggage does not show up, I can still hunt until it does arrive. I then use the pack to take my day gear and usually leave it in the truck.

In three hunts to Africa, two PG in RSA and one DG hunt in Zim, this has worked well. On the DG hunt, the trackers carried my water, camera and a couple of little things in their packs.

I use the Boyt TAC-040, www.boytharness.com, but there are lots of great options out there. 5.11, Maxpedition, Kelty, etc all make good packs. The Boyt worked perfectly for me and will certainly be my pack of choice for my next trips. Fits fine in the overhead even when full. Plus it's nice to be able to shoulder the pack when hauling a duffle and gun case through the airports. By the way, I use a Pelican 1610 for my checked bag and a Pelican 1750 for my rifle case. Both are vitually indestructable and have served me well. Do a search here and on the "African Travel" forums for thoughts on luggage and cases.

Good luck and don't get too wrapped up in the small details. One final bit of advice, pack light, WE all take too much stuff and I was no exception on my first trip. BTW, I always take binos and feel that I would have missed much if I did not have them. That said, light easily packable ones like Zeiss Victory 8x20's are great.

RCG

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is what I use. I use a mid size pack as my carry on and can get 2-3 days clothes, boots, binos, etc needed for travelling and, very importantly, if my luggage does not show up, I can still hunt until it does arrive. I then use the pack to take my day gear and usually leave it in the truck.

That's what I do.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you are usually not that far from the vehicle

I think it is always best to ask your outfitter and if possible the PH. Decided what type of hunt you are going to have and then ensure taht you are prepared for any eventuality. Remember that you may encounter a situation where you may be called upon to help the PH and not the other way around.

I carry a camelback with 3 litres of water in, (you don't need that much I carry for 2 people) and a medical kit as well as some of my extras etc. A vital piece of the kit for me though is a GPS with the camp programmed into it and a way to contact the base camp. I also carry a signal mirror. Before heading out I run the guest/hunter through what I have and make sure they understand how to get help if a situation should arise where I may be incapacitated.

One last thing that is always in my pack is tampons and a bandange. If you are to have any chance of surviving a gunshot wound in the arse or legs they may just make the difference between life and death.

One thing I always say to people is not to be lulled into a false sense of security when hunting on a ranch etc. Africa is just as dangerous regardless of the fence that everyone tells you makes her tame. When you least expect it she will bite you.
Dont be paranoid, but be prepared

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've found works best for me after many safaris in many countries. I use a waterproof bag, the kind used in white water rafting with a fold down top and a handle and shoulder strap. It stays in the truck, attached to the roll-bar behind the cab and sitting on the floor out of the way. Jacket, extra ammo, camera, snacks, sunscreen, bug juice, Otis cleaning kit, Multi-tool, spare hat, etc all go in it. Keeps water, blood and dust out of and off these items. The exterior can be cleaned up with soap and water in camp; especially important if blood gets onto it from animals transported in the cargo bed.

I began carrying a water bladder (CamelBack) many years ago following an Ele hunt where I became dehydrated - very dangerous. If you are going to carry a pack or water bladder however, it is important that it be quiet for stalking. Nylon packcloth doesn't do it. You need something with a soft exterior that doesn't make noise. I strongly suggest you carry QuikClot (by Z-Medica) for gunshot wounds or maulings.

You will gain insight into what works best for you after a few safaris, and as stated above, we all took too much "stuff" until we gained experience with safari.

Enjoy!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I was told by an experienced African Hunter, that when you get off the truck and your feet touched the ground, you better have water on you! My first day(first safari) in TZ, we got off the truck to look at some Buff, several hours and 15 miles later we caught them. If I had not carried two qts. of water, I sure would not have made it! Your PH and the trackers can go all day without a drink, but I can't!!! Camelbacks are a great idea and powdered gator-ade type mixes make lots of sense. I always keep tampons in any First Aid kit, in Africa, there are all kinds of ways to get extra holes put in you!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if you get gunshot wounds or maulings on a plains game hunt, something has gone SERIOUSLY wrong. I take a camera bag and leave it on the truck when stalking. a multitool and ammo pouch on my belt when i leave the truck- nothing else. unless the game ranch is absolutely humongous, you are NEVER very far from the truck. plains game hunts are not buffalo or elephant tracking marathons.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13179 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, now there's all the good advice I'll be needing...thank you very much. I love the KISS system...always works for me. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear a vest and everything I need fits in the pockets very well. I also have a multi tool, knife and bullet carrier on my belt. I very seldom carry more than 8-10 rounds even when I have my drilling. In my vest I have gum and candy for the dry mouth, pocket camera, gloves, glasses cleaner, lense pen and sprare glasses. As has been said on plains game hunting you are not that far from the truck.

I always get a kick out of seeing (TV SHOWS) these guys with big back packs and they are going to a water hole to set for game.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the day pack is a very individual thing. You need to think through how you hunt, where you're hunting, and what you expect to get out of it. There are some things that are essential; TP, extra ammo, a small survival/1st aid pkt. Everything else is "up scale" from there. For many years I carried what I needed on my belt.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 932 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry a three day pack from tactical tailors with a camel bak. I don't use every item every time, however, I operate on the premise that you can bring it back if you don't need it; but, you cannot use it if you don't have it

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I use a day pack for my carryon with the essentials to get me through a day or so if my bags don't show up. Then it gets packed with the "might need" gear like jacket, etc. and stays on the truck. I have a fanny pack that goes with me whenever I get off the truck which has ammo, sun screen, water, etc.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
No day pack for me. Too hot and hard to access while walking/stalking IMO.

I like it on all on my belt. I just used one of the PH belts from Texas Hunt Co on a leopard and buff hunt and it worked great. I can carry water, ammo, knife, leatherman, bug spray, camera, and surefire all within my reach.

I do carry some kind of bag on the truck for boxed ammo, gloves, hat, jacket, etc., but when I'm on the trail of game, the bag stays in the truck.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kelty MAP 3500 is the best pack I have ever carried. Amron International has the best deal on them--$99 at Amron (online), everybody else around $179.

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again folks. As Vlam said, "I think it is always best to ask your outfitter and if possible the PH" was very good advice also. I did have the oppurtunity to speak to my outfitter and was told that nothing needed to be carried but a pack/bag with some essentials couls be tossed into the truck. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
posted Hide Post
On a plains game hunt you need to carry spare ammo, water, hard candy for dry mouth, and your rifle. Frankly, I can't recall a plainsgame stalk long enough to require re hydration, but it's always a good idea to have water handy. I usually carry a knife but in 4 hunts haven't used it. You may want to carry binoculars and/or, if you are hunting areas where the shots are long, a range finder. As has been said, you are rarely far from the truck when plainsgame hunting so spare clothing, your good camera, etc. can be left there. Usually after the shot the truck will come to you. A day pack need only be large enough to carry the ammo, water, and candy although most of us use our carry on which is big enough to carry more.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good Terry. I was half wondering about rain gear but haven't read of anyone having a concern with it. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
You guys that are rarely far from the truck when plains game hunting need to go hunt with Vaughan Fulton. Big Grin I was very glad to have a pack with water in it when chasing him around the deserts of Namibia trying to find something to shoot.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a minimum,, carry something that you can take water in. Never leave the truck without water.You may never experience dehydration,, but if you do it will ruin your trip. Twenty minute walks can turn into hours and even if you think you are in good physical shape and are acclimated to the weather,,, water can make the difference from being comfortable to miserable. Also a few handi wipes or towlets in your pocket can be a great idea,, I think you can think of several uses for them. I always have a small flashlight and multitool set, most of all this will easily fit into a fanny pack that will attach to a backpack. The backpack I may leave in the truck with extra clothing, first aid, binoculars, matches, gateraid packets for water ,meds-advill etc. Even when whitetail hunting in Texas, the small fanny pack goes with me even on short walks. Being prepared can insure a safe and fun hunt.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Amen! +1 thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never carry a daypack or water.

On my belt is a leather ammo holder with 10 rounds (four more in the rifle) and a camera. That's it. In my pockets I carry packaged peanut butter crackers and a small bottle of insect repellant.

The trackers carry bottled water and also soft drinks.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.