THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Leopard Attack In The Kuiseb Canyon - Namibia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard Attack In The Kuiseb Canyon - Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The leopard in question is suspected to have been injured by poachers in the Dorob National Park.

Didn't want to post the pictures as they are a little too graphic this early in the morning...

quote:

Leopard attacks tourist in Kuiseb

News - National | 2018-04-13 Page no: 5

by Adam Hartman

BLOODIED ... Blood stains on the side of the van show where the struggle took place between Hardy Specker and the leopard.

A GERMAN couple touring Namibia lived through the horror of a leopard attack in the Kuiseb Canyon yesterday morning that left Hardy Specker (61) in a critical condition.

Specker and Petra Windmeisser had been in Namibia for the past two weeks, and after spending time at Swakopmund, they left through the Namib Naukluft Park three days ago.

On Wednesday, they decided to overnight in the Kuiseb Canyon, about three hours from Walvis Bay.

Windmeisser told The Namibian yesterday afternoon that around 01h00 yesterday morning when Specker was closing the camper window, a leopard jumped up the side of the van and caught him by the head with its claws and mouth.

A fight for Specker's life ensued when he was hanging halfway out the window as the big cat tried to pull him out while Windmeisser was pulling from the inside.

“The struggle went on for some minutes. Hardy eventually managed to stick his fingers into the leopard's eyes, which caused it to let him go. I then managed to pull him in. There was blood everywhere,” she recalled.

Specker's scalp was torn from the skull, while his shoulder and arms were shredded. He also had a wound on his throat.

The couple stayed in their camper, too scared to do anything because the leopard had jumped on the roof at times and moved around the vehicle for the remainder of the night.

“Specker was losing a lot of blood, but he remained conscious. We screamed and made noise and used light, but the animal remained there,” she said.

Around 07h00, farmers saw the distressing scene and chased the leopard away. They managed to help the couple and summoned EMed Rescue to meet them halfway.

They were taken to the Welwitschia Private Hospital at Walvis Bay, where Specker immediately underwent surgery.

Windmeisser said they hope to leave Namibia as soon as possible for him to receive medical treatment at home in Germany.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/...rag-tourist-12366339

Link has photo of victim's head after attack.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9477 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, that sucks.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/...rag-tourist-12366339

Link has photo of victim's head after attack.

Ouch

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I do not understand is why his "life partner" didn't drive his ass out of there.

Some "life partner"... time for a new one methinks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happened to see the photo credit was for AH so I checked the site and there is a longer discussion, including by the victims friend. No proof of injury from poachers. My guess more likely an old hungry leopard like the attacks in Kruger. Why should it try to get into a big camper if not for food and not revenge? Of course it may have previously been injured some time before.

While the photos look bad, from a surgical point of view, even though there are multiple lacerations, he should heal up fine because of the good blood supply of the scalp, as long as there are no serious neck injuries.

This has huge implications for the huge camping community in Southern Africa because most camp and sleep in flimsy tents on the ground or mounted on trailers or on vehicles and not solid walled camper trucks. Having seen predators at night around my camper including lions roaring ar us, it makes one think twice about these predators not "recognizing" humans! Other than spraying the tires with ammonia and having some machetes, there's not much protection if one doesn't have guns with one in National Game Reserves. I usually sleep with a rifle with me in tents or open huts when hunting but it sure would be nice to have a handgun , like Don Heath , for close encounters.

Has anybody brought a hand gun into SA or Zim and is it legal? Next year we are hiking a river looking for a really old buffalo and tenting on the ground and it sure would be nice to have a hand gun at night, especially since the hyaens will be around.