New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Blue Bag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my wife and I are both Special Educators. We are going to Namibia in June 07. I got this wild hair to take a SCI Blue Bag to help the Namibian Schools for the Visually Impaired. Carol(my better half has been an educator of the visually impaired for over 30 years and I am am a former Principal of the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired). I conducted an extensive internet search to try to find a contact website or person to find out what is needed so that we can find appropriate resources and get the needed materials. The Austin chapter of SCI has graciously agreed to help fund this attempt. Nwhere on the web could I find a website for the 2 schools that provide services for VI kids. I called the Namibian Embassy and asked to speak to the person in charge of education and health in the Embassy. This person asked me to send an email which I did. No response. I emailed my outfittewr in Namibia and explained the situation. He emailed back with a contact in the Namibian government. I emailed that person- no response. I pulled up again the website of the Namibian Embassy and sent another email.It was returned as being "undeliverable:. We sent another; again "undeliverable". My computer skills being limted, I asked one of the computer gurus at my school to help send a message to the Namibian Embassy using the address listed on the Namibian Embassy website. Again "undeliverable" I am at a loss as to what to do. I have called the Namibian Embassy with no success, emailed with no success, and frankly am at my wit's end. I called my Congressman's office and and explained the situation. They said they would be willing to help, but some embassies are slower to respond than others. Does anyone on this forum have any advice? All we want to do is make sure some visually impaired kids have a better shot at life after we leave than they had before. Thanks for listening to me vent, Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try contacting this gentleman.

Gudrun Heger
Chairperson Social Upliftment Committee NAPHA
"Hunters Support Education" Project

Gudrun Heger
Otjiruse Hunting/Jagdfarm Otjiruse
Tel/Fax: +264 (0)62 503778
Email: gudrunh@mweb.com.na
Homepage: http://www.natron.net/otjiruse

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your prompt reply. I am a patient and tolerant man, but only having been to Africa twice, I am trying to learn how things work there. I will contact your recommendation in the AM. Please, you who know Africa, try to help me help some visually impaired kids. I will be retiring soon and we (Carol and I) would like to help visually impaired kids have a shot at a decent life. Respectfully, Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
When I took a Blue Bag last year, I just took it over with medical supplies and asked the PH where he would suggest we take it to deliver it to a hospital, and then to a school for school supplies. Trust me. Whatever you take will be appreciated and used. Your outfitter or PH will be of great help.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry Hoover;

I would appreciate it if you would post the "how to's or don'ts" of doing this, so the rest of us might learn from your effort.

I would also be very interested it taking SCI Blue Bag on my next safari in August.

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son and I sent about $800 of school supplies to Kamanjab village school following our safari. We arranged via our PH and his wife who do much in the community. We sent via DHL. We have another batch to send soon. They appreciated the supplies greatly. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of UsanguSafaris
posted Hide Post
We work with Hunters Who Care. They do a lot of charitable work in Africa. You can contact them by their website at www.hunterswhocare.org or call 1-907-488-5577. I am sure they will find a solution or offer a suggestion.

Zahir

Usangu Safaris
www.usangu.com
email: info@usangu.com, headoffice@usangu.com
Tel. 1-907-488-5577

Posts: 49 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 09 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
These are excellent projects to get local boy scout units involved in. It really makes them feel like they're reaching out, and they have some appreciation of the help they are providing.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today I had a call from the Namibian Embassador to the USA. He is very interested in our project and will provide contact numbers to the powers that be in Namibia, My wife and I are in the "sunset years" of our careers in "Special Education" and both of us want to do it right. The gap between what is available in the USA and Namibia is astounding. We will try to provide the Namibians with as much as we can provide. I have contacted both optomertrists and opthalamologists and we have a solid foundation from which to start. I hope the Namibian Professionals can tell us what they need. The Austin chapter of SCI has been wonderful in providing support to help pay for the cost of this project. All both Carol and I care is that some kids will be better off after we leave than they were before. We will try and post pics when we return to the USA. My thanks to all who have posted ao given support to this effort.; respectfully, Jerry and Carol Hoover

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A late post. If you want to help education and particularly Special Education in Africa, it can be done. That does not mean it will be easy or fun.African nations have many problems and these problems must be prioritizd. What my limited experience has taught me is that you choose what area in which you want to assist and then you develop bulldog tanecity to reach your goal. This is Africa and only their rules apply.Your end goal must be that kids will be given a better shot at life than before. Respectfully submitted, Jerry Hoover

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We will look forward to your pictures and your report. A very worthy project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't thank the AR members enough who have replied either through the forum or via PM to assist us in this project. Several eye care professionals will donate whatever is needed medically and once we know what is needed educationally, we will find resources to meet these needs. I cannot thank our local SCI chapter enough. They have privided the support and funding to make this happen. All I can say is if you are going to Africa, check out taking a "Blue Bag", the rewards far outweigh the hassles. If anyone has any other suggestions re this project, I would welcome their suggestions. My heartfelt thanks to all who have responded to this thread. I will repost when I hear what is needed from Namibia. Jerr Hoover

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Another reference for Hunters Who Care, they do great work.

Mike

Posts: 21696 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I waited a week to hear from Namibia and nothing has happened. I called the Namibian Embassy to see if any information had been sent. Lo and behold I end up talking to the Ambassador. He assured me that the needed information will be coming and he would take care of it personally. The Ambassador also told me that the plight of both visually impaired and auditorally impaired kids in Namibia is not good. Thanks again to all who posted and PMd. Jerr Hoover

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
If you cannot get the information from the Ambassador contact NAPHA as they should be able to help. email: napha@mweb.com.na - CEO Almut Kronsbein

The Safari Club Blue bag is a great idea, I have had hunters bring some much needed supplies over and it is always appreciated.

Roger

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all the helpful and heartfelt replies fron the AR members. I will make this project succeed. I have too much support from good people to let it go by the way side. Again thanks to all who have offered help. iwill post again when I have positive info to report. Jerry Hoover

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update on the Blue Bag for the Visully Impaired. At 12:30 this morning the phone rang and my son answered it. He came in our bedroom and told me I had a call. Being sound asleep I told him to take a message and that I would return the call in the AM. Imagine my surprise when he told me it was a call from Namibia. To make a long story short, I finally got through to the people that mattered and things are beginning to happen. We still have a long way to go,but I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it is not a freight train. This will work. I will continue to post as the situation develops. For those of you who are considering taking a "Blue Bag", don't let any of the obstacles sway you. It can be done and I think the rewards will far outweigh the obstacles. Things are looking much better. Jerry Hoover

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I got home this PM, there was an email from the Namibian Ambassador to the USA asking me to call him tomorrow. It looks like things are going to happen. The Austin Council for the Blind wants to fund this project and HEB, a Texas supermarket chain has indicated some interest in providing some assistance as well.It is looking as if this will happen. I have also contacted a local optometrist and I may be asked to make a presentation to their Optometric Association to get nonprescription visual aids. If you are going to Africa or any othe 3rd world area, I would strongly suggest you contact your local SCI chapter. If the Austin TX chapter of SCI is representative, they will assist you in any way they can. Contact your outfitter or PH as to schools or villages in the area and ask what they may need. Most schools need very basic supplies such as pencils, rulers, calculator batteries, calculators, etc. Villages may need very basic hygiene supplies, such as toothbrushes, antibiotic creams, antiseptics. Your PH will know. Our attempt has been difficult because of the specialized needs of visually impaired students. Should any AR people out there want to do this , I highly recommend that you try. I will post again when I have something of substance to report. Jerry Hoover

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
BTW What is an SCI "Blue Bag"?

I get the main gist of it, but what is supplied in the "Blue Bag" or is it just a term?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Hi John

Essentially it is a programme (started by SCI) and their individual loacal regional chapters have taken it on board to get their members to come to the party

This is the guts of what The Blue Bag is all about ...

Cheers Peter ....

SCI Blue Bag Program

Are you traveling to Africa, South America or some other out-of-country destination for your upcoming hunt? If so "SCI's Blue Bag Program" may be right for you. This humanitarian program operates on a simple premise. When traveling you generally take less luggage than the airlines allow; so why not take an extra bag; an "SCI Blue Bag". Tell us where and when you are going. The chapter will help in filling the "Blue Bag" with school supplies, clothing, etc. which are so desperately needed within the region to which you will be traveling. We will make arrangement for you to meet the recipients at a convenient location where you will be rewarded with their smiles and joy by receiving the supplies. All we request is pictures of the event and the return of the "Blue Bag" for use by others. Last year, "SCI Blue Bag Program" shipped nearly 26 tons of needed materials to third world nations. Make a difference when you hunt and support the "SCI Blue Bag Program".

For more information call 920-496-6706
or email bluebag@newisci.org

The above is all courtesy of the Northeast Wisconsin Chapter Safari Club International

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Post! I have lurked here for some time and this is my first post.
My family will be going to RSA for the first time in '09 and we will be doing the same. We are both in education as well. I have already started planning what we can take and what we will ship ahead. I am very interested in the process as well so all of the do's and dont's after you return would be greatly appreciated. We want to make sure what we take is needed.

Thanks to all that have posted on this subject as it has been a great help!

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called the Namibian Embassy this AM and spoke with the Namibian Ambassador. He faxed me a prioritized list of what the Visually Impaired kids in Namibia need. I have secured funding and what is too bulky or heavy to take on the airplane can be sent to the Namibian Embassy and they will forward it to the schools. Now it is just a matter of finding and purchasing the needed supplies.Without the support of the Austin chapter of SCI, this never could have happened. It can be done. If I am ever fortunate enough to return to Namibia again, I will bring a Blue Bag for the Deaf kids in Namibia. Jerry Hoover

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might look at www.givingsight.org They do a great deal of charitable work all over the world, especially in Africa and is sponsored by the World Council of Optometry

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will check into this tomorrow. Should any AR members want to do a Blue Bag , please use the Forum or send me a PM. I will be happy to share my experiences. Again thanks to all who have posted suggestions and support. Austin SCI has told me that I can take TWO Blue Bags. That will give at least 100lbs. of needed equipment. More will be sent to the Namibian Embassy to be forwarded to the kids there. Jerry Hoover

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

Congratulations! Your hard head and kind heart are inspiring to say the least.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I am glad you got it all sorted and be sure there will be a lot of kids who will appreciate all your effort and kind heart. thumb

All Austin SCI members can be proud of the example the chapter has set.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Stephanie Wottrich, our SCI chapter president to give her the good news and had another thought. Since my wife and Kevin's wife ( my hunting partner,Kevin ,not his wife) are both teachers of the visually impaired, I asked if we could take 2 Blue Bags. Stephanie said"why not." So now we are taking double the amount of supplies and materials. I think it may be time to find some more funding. I will post again when I have good news. As I was typing this the phone just rang and it was the President of the Austin Council for the Blind. He is going to ask his board for $1500 to fund this project. That helps a lot and I will be contacting some of the other service organizations as well as some of the eye care associations. I will post again when I have some more good news. If any AR members have some other ideas, please post them. Jerry Hoover

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have good news. An Austin optometridt, Dr. Laura Miller who specializes in low vision aides has agreed to provide magnifiers and monouculars to help the blind kids in Namibia.She has also agreed to provide nonprescription eye health supplies. This will help[ many of the partially sighted kids in Namibia. I am still wating to hear from some of the other entities I have contacted. AR members, if you are going to Africa or another 3rd world country, please consider taking a "Blue Bag". Contact your local SCI chapter and ask, then contact your outfitter/ ph and ask what the local needs are. I have had difficulty because of the specialized needs of visullay impaired kids. In Africa a little goes a long way. Jerry Hoover

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the Blue Bag for the Schools for the Blind is almost ready to go. Donations have been received and materials ordered from the American Printing House for the Blind.This has been an interesting project and for those of you who are going to Africa or any other 3rd world country, please contact your local SCI Chapter to see if they have a Blue Bag. If so, then contact your PH to see what the local needs are. I will email pictures of the visually impaired kids getting what little we can take. I only wish it could be more. Jerry Hoover

One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Jerry
Great job!

We are taking very similar goodies to the kids in Namibia in June on our hunt. I am not involved with the medical side of things except for basic bandages and things. I take alot of school supplies and clothing. I have somewhat sponsored a soccer program for the kids in the local village so I am taking about 10 soccer balls with me and a small airpump with about ten air needles. They love to play soccer!

Always leave the place better than you found it!!
Ray Matthews

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blind kids play a game caled"Goal Ball" We will be taking some athletic equipment as well. Again if you are going to Africa or any other 3rd world area, please consider taking a "Blue Bag". You will not regret it. Also we are taking a educational/medical supplies to the local children at Okanduka Seibe. We will post pics upon our return. Jerry Hoover

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I think the Blue Bag is ready to go to Namibia.Donations have been gathered, educational materials ordered from the American Printing House for the Blind,low vision supplies have been picked up, and the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired has donated 40 boxes of Braille and large print books and other materials. Obviously, we can't take all of this on a plane, but we can ship it free ( reading materials for the blind require no postage) to the Namibian Embassy and the Embassy staff will ship them to the 2 Schools for the Blind.Pics will be posted on our return. Jerry Hoover