New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dangerous game velocities
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a .458 Lott. Can anyone suggest velocities that would be suitable for dangerous game. I know that I can go up to 2350 fps, but have read something in the 2200-2300fps range would be very effective.The 470 N.E.velocity using 500 grain Barnes and Woodleighs is about 2150fps. Hence the question of the need for another 200fps for the max load with the Lott.
Thanks for your comments.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peashooter,
Drive those big 500 gr. bullets as fast as you can stand recoil wise...2350 FPS is better than less...Todays great premium bullets lay all that "slower down" stuff to rest. 2100 still works but 2350 is just that much better...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with 2350 fps is better than 2150 fps, but you do not need 2350 fps. At 2200 fps you will get plenty of penetration, low pressure and more moderate recoil.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It depends on how much penetration is needed. The only way to increase it, all else being equal, is to increase the bullet velocity.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
peashooter,

I shot a ruger in 458 Lott in Zim last summer...I pushed all my bullets at 2350 or very clost to that magic number..Drove a barnes X right thru buf and it piled up under the skin on the far shoulder and he only went maybe 10yds.
Got over six feet of penetration on my bull ele shot...with a Bridger solid

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have said it before and will say it again: The only enemy of high velocity is a bad bullet.

Use premium slugs and drive them as fast as case capacity and sane pressures will permit.

I know that the Lott is better than lesser calibers and will soon be trying bigger to see how much better they are.

But so far, all I know is that bigger and faster are a hell of lot better than smaller and slower--all else, as in bullet construction, being equal.

Load 'em up and shoot 'em. Then you will see. All the rrest is theory. That's my never so humble opinion.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Modesty prevents me from claiming any credit for you learning that! Now I have one more: KOPPED.

A combination of Taylor's KO value, Placement, Penetration, Energy, and Devastating-Energy. All related and some critical minimum required for flattening anything in particular on 4 (or 2) legs.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My very limited experience....

I loaded my Lott using 500 grain Barnes TSX to a nominal 2250fps. I took two Buffs using this load...impacting both Buffs between 60 and 80 yards...both fell to the first side on shoulder shot with complete penetration.

One Buff never got up the other somehow managed (they can take some punishment) to regain his footing ...the second shot was front on impacting the shoulder area and continuing through the Buff and breaking the back leg logging against the hide..almost completely through the length of the animal..that shot was taken at a distance of about 10 yards.

All that said I do plan on working up to near max...2300+ fps or so. I had some difficulty with the Hornady Dies so I recently bought a set of Redding Dies hopefully they will work better. Also, I purchased on of the Lee Factory Crimp Dies which makes crimping much easier. If I remember correctly the max Barnes Data (using standard X's, not TSX) is approx. 2325 fps or so with 26" barrel.

I have been using H4895 but I think there may be a better powder choice...unsure about that..Good luck...jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote