Find
Notify
Tools

Big Elephant and Kudu
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted

I have taken theese pictures from my DVD - The elephant up to the left was a huge bull that we saw but didnt connect to - mine looked small compared to this one.
And the kudu was the animal i missed ! Estimate his horn length...

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Estimate his horn length...

55" at least!

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Nice photos.

I would guesstemate the Kudu at 52....

He has nice deep curls and long tips.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu looks like a 53"-55"

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
David Hulme, anyone killed this big boy yet ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know. From one angle in a picture it is difficult.

I have shot a few really big ones (60 for example). I have seen my kids shoot some big ones. Ryan has a 58.5 on the wall.

Considering the above, that kudu would still get my attention. I think he is on up there.I think it is well over 55. I am guessing around 58. I would whack him on the first day.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Larry, Jonny estimated him to around 58 so you could probably be right. When I watched the DVD I could see a big dust cloud in front of the kudu so the bullet hit a branch Frowner. No blood was found after.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
David Hulme, anyone killed this big boy yet ?

Anton:

FYI: On one of Bo Carter's Mahenye hunts (2009, I think), his partner killed a 63" kudu.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
aha did not know that. Any pics ?

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
If that bull made yours look small, he was truly a monster!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Anton, nobody has shot that elephant yet. What did Jonny estimate it at? I think the kudu is somewhere between 52 and 58 but have been known to be well out before, ha ha. Anyway, I would never have the temerity to argue with Big Jon when it comes to trophy judgment, heaven forbid!

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anton:

I would have gladly miss that kudu for that elephant bull you shot. That was a great elephant and a great shot. It was long by elephant standards yet you put the bullet in the right place.

I also remember the 63 incher but had forgotten until Will said something. In 09, I shot a 60. The Mahenye kudu got my attention a lot more than mine did. it is a damn big one, no doubt in my mind.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Anton:

I would have gladly miss that kudu for that elephant bull you shot. That was a great elephant and a great shot. It was long by elephant standards yet you put the bullet in the right place.

100%. I would gladly miss a lifetime of kudus for Anton's elephant. Great elephant, great shot, great footage..

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
From the photo is the right tusk broke? I was going to say hi 50's.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I would guess the kudu to be around 54

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice jumbo as for the Kudu to hard to tell it has everything to say its big,horn tips are starting to turn out,it has deep curls but as my Zim Ph once said to me...kill it and find out...and we did i have one thats 55 and another that 57 we new they were good but we guessed the size wrong the 57 bewildered

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Mike, my heaviest tusk weighed 77 pounds and it looked like youngster compared to this ele. Jonny said no to shoot mine first because he looked so small standing next to this one. And yes one tusk broken off.