one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
You should have bought a Nikon! Big Grin

Nice photo! thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Thanks and Sorry about camera. Had to buy a new
one in London as mine went down Tower Hill. Mad

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing can compare to that sinking feeling those few seconds just before you hear that crack as it hits. I dropped one in a stream once while landing the largest steelhead of my life.
I alsways pack a throwaway now along with my good camera.
They do fine in a pinch.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by invader66:

That's funny, last time we were in London Wifezilla dropped one in the Thames.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Just the minute come out of the FIELD MUSEUM CHICAGO and whilst there standing in front of the Tsavo diorama dropped my Canon camera on the hard floor and DAMN DAMN DAMN, the thing is bust ! Mad Mad

So I could not take more pictures Mad

But i did get these two:

Alf,
So tell me what did you think of the Field Museum?That place and those lions alone was the greatest factor in making me want to hunt Africa.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Giant Sable ( Varian's Sable) is a very nice specimen.

ALF,

I think Ann, from Aspen Hill, posted some photo's of the Sable earlier

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Dr. Alf,

Oh heck, I thought someone had slipped you a Remington...jim Wink

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I left a nice little Nikon waterproof camera sitting on the bank of the Talachulitna river in 1992.

If anyone snags it fishing for halibut in Cook Inlet, please send me the film. There are pictures of a couple of nice rainbow trout in there.

Thanks.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by invader66:

That's funny, last time we were in London Wifezilla dropped one in the Thames.

I Have bought two cameras at Dixons,Victoria Station. Must be something about London. Big Grin

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Just the minute come out of the FIELD MUSEUM CHICAGO and whilst there standing in front of the Tsavo diorama dropped my Canon camera on the hard floor and DAMN DAMN DAMN, the thing is bust ! Mad Mad

So I could not take more pictures Mad

But i did get these two:

Sorry about the camera.

On a side note. I didn't realize the Tsavo Maneater were a couple of DOGS. Are those really supposed to be Lions?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog563,

My thoughts exactly, but I was too polite to say so!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first time I carried/used a digital camera, I slipped the Sony in the pocket of my coveralls and climped a 20'crane pedestal, no problem. Then I was halfway up an eight-foot ladder when I felt it come out of my pocket. I watched it fall (in slow motion) to the walkaround four feet below, bounce once, and go over the kick-plate, falling 20' to the steel deck and explode. Never took the first shot with it.

My daughter, two years ago bought a new camera for her Christmas trip to India. She took a ton of pictures then let it slip out of her purse inside the Taj Mahal. Couldn't find it in the dark. Someone got a nice Christmas gift.

I do have one good story. I was intransit to Norman Wells through Yellow Knife,and as they called for us to re-board I took one more shot of the Polar Bear in the lobby. The camera wouldn't respond. Everyone was loading, I ran the other way and bought two packs of batteries. Had I not tried that last shot I would have found myself in sheep camp with a dead camera for the next ten days.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Patterson's book is an interesting read. Many of the male lions in Tsavo are maneless. In fact, Philip Caputo wrote a book, Ghosts of Tsavo, that looked into, among other things, why Tsavo has such a high percentage of maneless males. The Tsavo males also tend to be taller and heavier. My recollection is that speculation about the lack of manes centered around the fact the the torn brush is thick and the lions evolved to be maneless given the need for the lions to be able to navigate through the thick cover without becoming entangled. That completes the history lesson for today.

Mike

Mike

Posts: 21261 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both lions were rugs for several years. The taxidermist did a master work with them, but never could really show their size. One was a monster, standing more than four feet at the shoulder, as per Patterson´s tale.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had I not tried that last shot I would have found myself in sheep camp with a dead camera for the next ten days.

Kensco,

Wow! What luck! So tell us, you must have shot a huge sheep with that kind of luck!

On a trip to Africa, yes I was still using film, and I still do. Me and my PH got out of the Cruiser to take a long walk up to the top of this huge mountain. I checked my film in my pocket camera, it was on #36 pic. Great I had 35 photo's to take. (My 35 mm SLR camera loads the film, when you close the back it winds all the film out and counts down as you take photo's. Ok, got it!) We start the long walk up the mountain, I have my pocket camera, the SLR is to bulky to carry, it's in the Cruiser. What a long hike! When we reached the top, I was tired, I mean real tired. But standing there and witnessing the view was unbelieveable! Wow! Breathtaking! My PH sat on a rock, as he started to glass the area below I told him it is picture time! Pulled out the pocket camera, took one shot of the view, As I snapped the pic, the camera clicked and rewound the film back into the case! SH%$! It was then that I remembered, "This camera works oppsite of the other!"

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not huge, but nice. 37 1/2" I hunter from New York shot the biggest that hunt.

I did screw up another photo opportunity though. I had my video camera in my backpack. I had time to take it out and video the group of rams feeding below us off the rim. I also took some nice digital shots. Meanwhile the guide had dropped back over the rim and "raced" farther ahead because we were actually trying to reach another basin where we had seen sheep when we stumbled into these. I waited for him to get back and tell me what he saw. Meanwhile I was selecting the best ram in this group, knowing that if the guide didn't get back in time I was going to have to make a decision before the rams disappeared.

He did make it back and belly crawled up to me. He said the biggest ram was in this group. I had the video camera lying beside me.

The guide and I discussed quickly what shot he wanted. I normally go behind the shoulder.

The shot wasn't difficult, about 130 yards, maybe, at about 75 degrees down over the lip of the cliff. He told me to nail him through the shoulder hopefully so he couldn't take a step. The big ram was standing near a shale slide and the slope was very steep beneath him.

What I should have said next is, "take the video camera", but instead I hunkered down over the scope, brought the crosshairs to the center of his shoulder, and pulled the trigger. The shot was perfect. The ram collapsed, dead. Then we watched as his dead-weight eased over to the downhill side, and he began to flop.

We were cursing our bad luck when a hundred yards further down the mountain his head flipped beneath him and the tip of one horn pressed against his shoulder, blocking his roll. He bull-dogged himself like in a rodeo, and slid against a clump of brush.

All of that could (should) have been on video. I was just too caught up in the moment to think about how neat that would be later to have the rams, the shot, the roll, the end, on video.

During all this, as if they were paralyzed, the other rams just stood and watched their leader die. They didn't have anyone to tell them what to do, so they just stood and watched him pile up in the brush.

They didn't add 2 and 2 until we stood up on the rim. Then they realized what had happened and disappeared over the side.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Confused Confused Confused

CANON?!?! Good lord! Someone with your taste in rifles shooting Japanese photo equipment? Say it ain't so! Wink Big Grin Wink

Just kidding, Alf...I shoot a Nikon FM3a. I drool over my friends new Leica but would rather spend the money on trophy fees. thumb

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
What's the Field Museum, I have been commuting to chicago for the last 3 monrhs...and have 2 months to go...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Joel C
posted Hide Post
Now I'm kicking myself--I was in Chicago for a conference last week and walked past the Field Museum 3 times without taking the time to go inside.......

Posts: 130 | Location: Ripon, WI | Registered: 09 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
What's the Field Museum, I have been commuting to chicago for the last 3 monrhs...and have 2 months to go...

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/

The Field Museum
1400 S. Lake Shore Dr
Chicago, IL 60605-2496

The Lions of Tsavo section on their web site:

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/exhibit_sites/tsavo/default.htm

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The dinosaur (fossil) skeletons in the main hall/foyer are incredible. Saw them for the first time as a seven year old.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Mike_Dettorre,
As a kid I went on hundereds of trips to the Chicago Field Museum.To me the place totally rocked.I was fortunate enough to have a teacher that noticed my interest in the Lions of Tsavo and gave me the book to read.From that time I always wanted to hunt Africa.

The Shedd Aquarium

http://www.sheddaquarium.org/

And Museum of Science and Industry

http://www.msichicago.org/

are great as well.The Art Institute of Chicago aint bad if you are into art.

When I moved to Houston many years ago I was really dissapointed in the museums here.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF,

This is OT but if you're still in Chicago, could we catch up sometime so I could buy you a drink?

And if you like spicy Indian food, my wife is a very good cook. Otherwise, we have some lovely Italian restaurants here where we could take you.

Cheers!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in RSA I Elph all the time, and then sometimes carried the Digital or the SLR, the Elph was fun since you could take 3 different size pictures.

The worst with a camera was in yellowstone NP, I dropped my Lens Cap at Old Faithful, the thing bounced about 5 times on the slot decking before falling through. Thats the worst feeling when you know something is going to break or get lost and you can't do anything about it.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate most big cities but love Chicago and it,s museums.My first trip there was some 50 years ago on a grade school field trip.I remember it like it was yesterday and have been back twice.The Nazi submarine was especialy interesting to me.Sorry about your camera I have had many camera mishaps but never seriously damaged one from droping it.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I always try to keep the strap around my neck when taking pictures to prevent that very thing from happening.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf!

Thanks for the fond memories. I first saw the Tsavo lion diplay when I was around 12 years of age. That was more than 50 years ago. Chicago does have the the greatest museums. The field museaum also has a full mounted bull elephant that I used to practice brain shots on when I was a teen ager after reading John Hunters book "Hunter". The U-505 Nazi submarine is also a must see at the Museaum of Science and Industry. I remember seeing them hauling it from Lake Michigan across the Outer Drive. Fond memories indeed!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Namibia in 2004 and climbing into a bowhunting blind on day three of a ten day hunt.I had a back pack on with my vdeo camera and tri-pod inside.As I reached the top step the back pack came open somehow and my video camera spilled out.It may have survived the fall had it not center punched the bottom step of the ladder.As it was ,it broke into a dozen un-reassembleable pieces.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf, you did take a few good pictures while your camera was operating Smiler.
Have to comment on Bulldog's point. The taxi full body mounts are anything but. I know that they started as rugs and about 25% was lost before the taxidermist received them, but I still am disappointed. The head structure and size matches up closer to my black lab than large male lions. Possibly, a simulated life size mount would have been more appropiate, as this would not misrepresent what lions look like.
Also, the body structure doesn't strongly suggest a male or female lion. Possibly, the taxi never went to a zoo Roll Eyes

I know its nitpicking, but its so distorted that its hard to regard them as a treasure.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF,

Too bad we couldn't invite you this time. The next time you visit, please do join us. This invitation, of course, is open to all friends on this forum.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
More about reasons some male lions have thicker manes than others:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060415/sc_space/lionssexysecretitsinthemane

If you gotta have a reason, attracting females seems like a pretty damn good reason to me.

Mike

Mike

Posts: 21261 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joel C:
Now I'm kicking myself--I was in Chicago for a conference last week and walked past the Field Museum 3 times without taking the time to go inside.......

I live a block from the Met in NYC and haven't been in over a year. I should be ashamed.

Posts: 30 | Location: NYC | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote