Find
Notify
Tools

Best buffalo country in Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
I am planning a Cape Buff hunt in Africa for the coming summer and wanted to get your opinions on which country has the best buffalo.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt most any of the countries, long and hard, pass up a lot of buffs and then be realistic in you expectations.
You don't say how big it must be. I once shot a 50.5' THAT WAS BUTT UGLY. Smaller ones can be very impressive, deep curls, big boss and etc.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I think Zimbabwe, and Tanzania too. Zambia is coming along as well.

It might help to know how you define "best". Wink

I took a 44" buff in the Save' Conserevancy in '02, and I saw three bulls there that I estimated in the 45" to 48" spread range. These animals have not been taken by the way. The outfitter is already sold out for '06, but he has some cancellation or available quota most years.

Boddington on Buffalo is an excellent reference to the various countries.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Tanzania, pure and simple. Where else can you get the chance for TWO great trophy bulls on a 10-day safari? Great buffalo genetics, true east African-style hunting, great PHs, great camps -- the works!

The Selous Game Reserve all by itself holds the largest single buffalo population in all of Africa, with a herd numbering between 110,000 and 160,000 animals. This is more than DOUBLE the population of all other countries in southern Africa put together, and the Selous represents only ONE portion of Tanzania's incredible Cape buffalo herd. If I recall, the Moyowasi herd numbers over 70,000...........

AD

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I'd second the vote for Tanzania. If you are after big buff, try Masailand...lots of buff, the Selous. Pick your outfitter carefully and time of the year is critical in Tanzania but it is one of the few countries where you can shoot two buff on a relatively short hunt. Good hunting!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog

Of course I'm prejudiced but I think our concessions in Masailand produce the best buffalo. If you go to our website you will see the bulls we have killed this year plus camp pics etc.

You are pretty late for booking a buffalo hunt in any of the best areas. We can accommodate perhaps one hunt in Dec.(the best month)in '06. Otherwise we are full until '07 and that is filling quickly.

My first choice in Zimbabwe has been sold out completely for '06 for some months.

Personally I would put my hunt off until '07 but start your research now so you can get the hunt you really want and book the dates that work the best for you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
My "best buffalo" would be old and very wide with lots of character, deep curls and thick hard boss's. I will be going with my dad so it would probably be a buff hunt for both of us with some mixed plains game hunting for both of us. Preferably a Kudu, Sable, impala, maybe a hippo and depending on how things go for me this year, hopefully an ele. If I did delay it until '07, where would be the "best area's" you guys are talking about for buff. Any other info, outfitter's/time of year etc, would be helpful because this would only be my second safari and my first DG safari.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Any opinions on Botswana and SA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Botswana is very expensive for buffalo.