Find
Notify
Tools

Namibian Taxidermy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted
I just received my trophies from my third Safari with Sebra Hunting Safaris conducted in July 2015. I used the services of the Taxidermy Studio & Tannery in Otjiwarongo, Namibia on all three trips. The quality of their European mounts and rugs is first rate, and their prices are most reasonable. For instance, I had European mounts with wooden shields of a blue wildebeest, a kudu, a gemsbok and a warthog done for a little over $500 US. Add in packing costs and paperwork, and the total out the door was only $580 US. On two of my trips, I used PRONTO Freight, and they were also quite reasonable price wise. The shipping costs for my four trophies was only $730 US. Having read so many horror stories of inflated dip & pack fees or exorbitant shipping charges, I feel it's only fair to give credit to Namibian vendors who provide a quality service at reasonable prices.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The hides we had tanned in Namibia were as good as the best I've ever seen, with meticulous attention to detail in making them lie flat. Price was a bargain. Good to know of the good service that you got.

The problem we had was with the customs broker in the U.S. who charged totally unreasonable fees to clear our shipment.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

The problem we had was with the customs broker in the U.S. who charged totally unreasonable fees to clear our shipment.

I used Coppersmith in Chicago to clear my trophies. I did most of the grunt work, so they just charged me $75 to process the paperwork. I brought all the paperwork from the freight company to USF&WS, then to Coppersmith, then to Customs & Border Protection, then back to the freight company to actually pick up the shipment. Took me a couple of hours.

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
This is timely for me. I'll be hunting with Serba late June/early July, and hadn't decided how I would handle any taxidermy. I'm not going to get full head mounts and may not get European mounts of all the animals. Just a few of the better ones. It's mainly for the experience. My son and friend are hunting as well.

Did you write a hunting report? I'd be most interested in hearing about it.
Thanks,
Jeff

Posts: 1032 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
This is timely for me. I'll be hunting with Serba late June/early July, and hadn't decided how I would handle any taxidermy. I'm not going to get full head mounts and may not get European mounts of all the animals. Just a few of the better ones. It's mainly for the experience. My son and friend are hunting as well.

Thanks,
Jeff

Yes, I've written THREE hunting reports from my three trips to Sebra in 2012. 2013 and 2015. Here's the most recent:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1021092212

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek: Who was the Customs Broker that you used? I am having a shipment come from Namibia, (Kings Taxidermy) and would like to know in order to avoid using them, if at all possible.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:

Yes, I've written THREE hunting reports from my three trips to Sebra in 2012. 2013 and 2015. Here's the most recent:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1021092212

Thanks very much. Great report. Looks like a terrific hunt.

Posts: 1032 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks,
Jeff

I hunted with Sebra in May 2014, and also used Marlon Beyer for dip and pack, along with Pronto for shipping; both did a good job.

Stuff was ready in 6 mos (Jan delivered the skins roughly 2 mos after hunt), but the got caught by the month long holiday season and slow gov't permitting and it took 9.

Taxidermist was pleased with skinning/skin quality and such....mounts came out great.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dinsdale:
quote:

Thanks,
Jeff

I hunted with Sebra in May 2014, and also used Marlon Beyer for dip and pack, along with Pronto for shipping; both did a good job.

Stuff was ready in 6 mos (Jan delivered the skins roughly 2 mos after hunt), but the got caught by the month long holiday season and slow gov't permitting and it took 9.

Taxidermist was pleased with skinning/skin quality and such....mounts came out great.

Good to know. Thanks. Good hunt with Serba?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good to know. Thanks. Good hunt with Serba?

Yes, you'll have a good time. Honest and strait forward both as PH and outfitter, food is terrific.....

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe I visited that taxidermy shop in either 2004 or 2007. I had my euro mounts and flat skins done there and they did a great job. I'd still have my shoulder or full mounts done in the US.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not going to get full head mounts and may not get European mounts of all the animals. Just a few of the better ones.

Thanks,
Jeff

The quality of the animals at Sebra is so high, I suspect you'll have a difficult time NOT having the majority of your trophies made into European mounts. You'll have such a great hunt, you'll get hooked on hunting with Jan just like I am. Can't wait to go back in 2017!

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
That's Certainly encouraging! I read in your hunt report that Gemsbok seemed to be the most frequently served meat. Never eaten it before, and looking forward to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the same shop and couldn't be more pleased. My hunting partner had similar results including ordering some habitat scenes.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Stonecreek: Who was the Customs Broker that you used? I am having a shipment come from Namibia, (Kings Taxidermy) and would like to know in order to avoid using them, if at all possible.
ABX at Houston. This was 2008 and I'm not sure if the company is still under the same management or if it is even still there.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD: I read in your hunt report that Gemsbok seemed to be the most frequently served meat. Never eaten it before, and looking forward to it.

The reason I mention gemsbok meals so often in my 2015 Hunting Report is that I had told Mariesje du Plessis after my 2012 and 2013 hunts that if she wanted to serve gemsbok every meal, that was fine by me. If you've ever eaten at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse or the Capital Grill. it's like their best filet mignon only better. The fact that you've killed the animal yourself and it's cooked before your own eyes over mopane coals while you're sipping a cold Tafel Lager beer adds to the dining experience. If you could import gemsbok meat into the USA, they'd put the USA beef industry out of business. Jan even prepared gemsbok fajitas for me, while wearing his Harrods of London cooking apron- wish I had a picture of that.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
During my Namibian hunt last August, the majority of the meat that we ate was Gemsbok and it was superb! tu2 And, I have eaten just about everything that Africa offers that is edible. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The majority of the meat we ate was steenbok. Not bad but not eland or gemsbok.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote