Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Type for Plains Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted
The discussion on Hornady Interbonds used against buffalo got me thinking (always a bad idea!)

Question:
Which bullet type do you prefer for African plainsgame, especially the heavier species?

Choices:
Bonded - Accubond,Interbond, Scirocco,etc
Partition - Nosler Partition, etc
No Preference - shot placement is more important

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
A-Frames, TBBCs or Northforks

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only hunt with Rhino bullets (Solid shank, bonded core - a la TBBC)

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Barnes TSX, North Fork's, Bridger solids

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes X.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullet that I use is dependent upon the cartridge being used. I have found that partition bullets vary with the caliber, and in some calibers they are too stout. The Barnes bullet is an excellent bullet, but does not shoot well in all my rifles. No one can argue that shot placement is primary regardless of bullet, but a well placed bullet that fails to perform, will not get the job done. Woodleighs are a terrific bullet, but their round nose style is not suitable for longer distance shooting. I think the more interesting survey would be by cartridge, what bullets have given good performance. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I use Nosler Partitions & NorthForks for most of my hunting & everything in Africa. While the HIB is bonded, unless you are using heavy for caliber bullets, penetration suffers a bit. Sub-moa accuracy isn't needed but good bullets are. Many of your shots will not be classic broadside presentations. So sometimes you'll need to shoot 1/4 to or away or not shoot at all. I want the penetration. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to Africa, but am planning a plains game trip in 07 and intend to use Nosler Partitions.

Plains game varies from 12-pound Dik-Dik to 1500-pound Eland. The Nosler Partition is one of the few bullets that provides fairly rapid and dependable expansion for the lighter-framed animals and deep and dependable penetration for the big guys. If you're trying to use one gun and one load, then the Nosler Partition makes the best sense.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I actually consider the bonded to be very close second to the Swift or Nosler partitions.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be loading A frames for my '07 PG hunt. A good friend who has been to Africa many times swears by them.

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
used 200 grain A Frames in July in .300 RUM and took everything with them.. including a bull giraffe.. performed flawlessly..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat A-Frames, TBBC, Nosler Partitions, the various Barnes X bullets and the discontinued Failsafes. It boils down to which bullet shoots the best in your rifle.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote