New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375/270gn FS & .338/275gn A-frame
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which would you say would give better penetration.
.375/270gn Failsafe, or .338/275gn A-Frame?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The speed is an important factor here. You did not mention the velocity of each load?
I have tried both bulletweights in the mentioned calibers. If the A-Frame is loaded to high velocity then it will expand a lot which will reduce its penetration (but it will penetrate deeply enough for most purposes no matter what..!). With mediumhigh velocities the 275 grs .338" A-Frame will really penetrate deeply. BUT the Failsafes always penetrates very deep.
I think the two bullet/caliber combinations will be very equal, but maybe my voto for best penetration will go to the .375/ 270 grs FS...

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I dont know if one can give a proper answer if you are comparing the two against each other..
I would cut each bullet in half length wise and see what they look like inside and then make your decision on how they work...Also what are you going to use them for??? What animals???

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both will work just fine any differences are mostly theoretical.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Driven at anywhere near the same velocity the Failsafe will always be the better penitrator. the Swift A frame is not a outstanding penitrator, it expands early and large, it is not ment to penitrate like a failsafe or Barnes X or Nosler partition...more like a trophy bonded...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The 270 gr. Fail-Safe is one of the most impressive penetrating bullets I've ever used, and I've shot completely through a grizzly end-to-end with this projectile out of the 375 H&H. This bullet makes most 300 gr. conventional bullets obsolete..........

AD