Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia cat rescue group.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted
Is anyone familiar with a cat rescue group located in Namibia?
I heard of one there that is funded mostly from USA.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ,
there are a few foundations in Namibia involved in taking care of cats (cheetahs and leopard).
The biggest one is the "cheetah conservation fund" (CCF), followed by the 'Africat foundation and' 'Harnas'.
They are mainly sponsored by american citizens and from my own personal view are doing a great job. Some people in Namibia are not to pleased with them, but that is the usual case when so-called conservationists tell the locals to act and think different. They have quite an interesting website: www.cheetah.org
Regards Kamaatu

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Kamaatu, thanks for the response. I see you live in Namibia so I'm sure you have more knowledge about cheetahs than I do. I checked out the Cat site you posted. Interesting stuff. The dog trick would work for sheep/goats but not to good for cows/calves. The cows/calves we saw were scattered over a large area. It would be hard for the dog to protect all of them.
I only found one mention of relocation of Cheetahs. I guess they tried this for a while. We spoke to 2 farmers and our PH about it. They tried the relocation bit. Caught the cat, called the cat people, they came and got the cat,then didn't pay the agreed price for the cat. The farmers tried this a couple times, then after no payment, they just shoot them and sell the hide in town. Is it just incompetence or intentional? I don't know. I do know these farmers don't call the cat people anymore. That seems like a shame to me. I would think buying the cat and relocating it to a "friendly" farm would work. The people we talked to get US$200 for a cat hide in town. That seems like an inexpensive price to pay to save a Cheetah. I know this is true. The farmer offered the Cheetah in the pic below to me for that price. I would have bought it but couldn't bring it into the USA.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote