New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Hunt You Should Have Booked
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I read the news of Botswana's impending closure of many of its prime hunting areas, I look back with a touch of stupidity as to why I turned down something on quota, that was offered to me years ago.

It served as a learning experience that if something is available and you have the means to take it, do so.

It was out of concern that a big plainsgame bag, two buffaloes, a lion, an elephant AND, a LEOPARD---on a 21-day safari might be just a little bit too much. Just stretching it too much, on a 21-day hunt that was also being videotaped as I was producing a DVD.

So I passed on the leopard with Johan Calitz in 2006, and focused on all the other stuff. I was not aware of something at the time that I booked with Calitz Safaris in Reno in 2005. I didn't know how well he runs his operation. And when I arrived in camp I realized that I should have taken the leopard permit. In Bots, as those who've been there know, you pay for the permit first whether you get the trophy or not. And I didn't want to pay for it, and not get the leopard.

Not getting the chance to hunt that Botswana leopard is one of the few regrets I have in safari hunting. I already knew how big they were, because I had seen two gigantic leopards Steve Chancellor had taken with Jeff Rann. I think one of them is #1 alltime SCI.

Point being don't tell yourself, no "I'll come back and get it next year." Because next year in safari hunting is not guaranteed.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Last year. Big four in the Selous with Samaras. 21 days. $25k plus TFs.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
about 3 yrs ago Kai Uwe Denker called unexpectedly & offered a 15 day elephant hunt in
his Namibia Concession. It was early August & the hunt was for Sept so really only had
3-4 weeks notice. I had already arranged a great archery elk hunt with some buddies in Sept
so I had to pass.

He's an interesting PH & have always wanted to do a walking elephant hunt with him, I've
always wondered how it would have turned out?

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe you can still hunt leopard in Botswana, but only on a private game ranch. Can anyone confirm that?

You are right Bwana Mojo....take those opportunities up as they arrive as we never know when the next chance, if ever will come.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreCore:
I believe you can still hunt leopard in Botswana, but only on a private game ranch. Can anyone confirm that?

You are right Bwana Mojo....take those opportunities up as they arrive as we never know when the next chance, if ever will come.

You're correct, but you can't do it in the Okavango with Johan Calitz or Jeff Rann.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.scifirstforhunters....os.cfm?bookID=137557

That is one BIG leopard.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9410 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes it is! And yes, take the opportunities when they present themselves or you'll have regrets like Marc! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
After my first Safari in 2005 I was eager to return and focus on leopard.

Not having pockets deep enough for Tanz or Zambia, Zimbabwe was really the only practical and viable alternative.

With the political state of affairs, and their crumbling economy I got cold feet.

Zimbabwe seems to have survived, and looking back I wish I had taken the plunge. Hind site is always 20/20.

My dream will come to fruition as I'm scheduled to hunt leopard in Zimbabwe next summer.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FOste,

let us know if that wine will taste better for having aged a couple more years...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BBC,

Leopard hunting in Botswana is still available in the Kalahari with the Bushman trackers as well as on private ranches. I have a client booked for 2011 with Tholo Safaris for the Kalahari. No guarantee on the future of that hunt but we are booking it one year at a time now.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
BBC,

Leopard hunting in Botswana is still available in the Kalahari with the Bushman trackers as well as on private ranches. I have a client booked for 2011 with Tholo Safaris for the Kalahari. No guarantee on the future of that hunt but we are booking it one year at a time now.

Mark

Mark, have you seen the tank-sized leopard-tracker that someone left parked there?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Yeah! That vehicle is easily worth more than my house. It belongs to a fabulously wealthy client that hunts with Clive a lot.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
off subject just a hair. I got to hunt Uganda this year and I will never regret it EVER.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest regret was not starting earlier.

I probably could have managed 10 years before I started to go, but thought it was too much money, too far away, etc.

I look at the trips that were available in the 50's and am green with envy, but I do realize that in current dollars, they were pretty much exclusively for the rich, whereas now, while there are some exceptions, even folks of moderate means can experience african hunting.

Posts: 10771 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think it was back in the late 70's or early 80's when i turned down a lion/derby eland hunt in the car for something like 3500. was just to interested in chasing sheep then

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None, I never look back, they may be gaining on me! Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my first safari there was a mix up and Broom had me down for a leopard which I declined because I had not planned on it. I left the area to hunt plains game and the next guy in killed a leopard on the first day. That was dumb. Also on that safari I could have shot both klipspringer and grybok but passed since I didn't realize what great tropies they were. It took me another 15 years to take those two once I realizd what I had turned down. Dumb again!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Anyone on here regret not going to India to hunt tigers?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any regrets yet. Yet being the important word. I have the money set aside for a trip to Uganda next year. However, I just bought into a start up oil and gas company and may not have the courage to spend that money on a hunt. Might just need it to live on, since I'm not getting paid until we do a couple more deals.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote