New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kafue Flats
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just told the Kafue Flats have been leased as a concession to one particular company rather than being controlled by the government for hunting . Anyone wanting a Lechwe there must negotiate a "fee" with this company. Has anyone else heard of this? Sounds like Africa finding a way to pile on another layer!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Yes

Essentially that is correct. BUT I have ALSO heard that there are some hassles and pricing concerns resulting in a k.lechwe being rather EXPENSIVE to hunt

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It maybe more expensive but someone needed to take care of that beautiful resource. It was going in the toilet when I was last there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LJS,
Very true,
But there is some sort of fight going on behind closed doors.
this is typical of our authority here. I have been told by reliable people that the Safari operators association are fighting this move and hopefully reason will prevail.
I have talked to some of the operators and they are extremely cheesed of as some of them have already sold hunts.

I totally agree with Mark but I am not sure this is the way to go as 800 head of Lechwe have been sold to residents at a cost of US$ 31 each.
We have tried in vain as the Hunters Association to try and get this qouta reduced as in my opinion the flats cannot sustain this sort of animal take off.
I just hope none of the fine people from this forum will be affected by our government decisions.

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update! I'll be interested to know how this is resolved. I have a hunt planned in Zambia next year, and was planning to hit the Kafue flats either at the beginning or end of my safari.

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote