THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    For Nickudu: The Custom Rifle Gazette and the 450 Rigby

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Nickudu: The Custom Rifle Gazette and the 450 Rigby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will try and get to the scanner in a few days, just too much shop work now to get away from the bench. The Publication is "The Custom Rifle Gazette", Volume 1, Issue 1, July 1995. 226 Blue Stem Road, Enid, OK 93703. President/Owner was Diane Scagenetti, anyone know of this lady? It is 150 pages of top quality photos and well written articles by knowledgable folks.

The 450 Rigby article is great, it has several nice detail photos of the rifles. And a live field test in Africa by the Rigby honcho Paul Roberts, hosted by Luke Samaras. A note about recoil, one statement in the article: "By not loading the case to its full velocity potential the recoil is kept managable". One of the hunters using the 450 Rigby rifle was a lady, she took a fine Buffalo.

To answer the question in another post "Are QD rings required", the 450 Rigby rifle is equipped with Holland & Holland type detachable mounts and a 30mm tube Kahles 1.6 x 6 scope.

Ahh, guess what, Rigby used a much modified BRNO 602 action. The action looks like a Magnum Mauser with a M70 Safety, not a 602.

There is also an article on building a double rifle by a gent somewhere in Europe. He buys the rough parts and basically uses an assortment of files and many, many hours to get to the end result. If I am reincarnated, my wish is to go back in time to Europe and apprentice in the gun building trade.

Here is the Table of Contents to whet the Appetites:

Double Rifles by Geoffrey Boothroyd
Fodder by Finn Aagaard
Darwin Hensley by Krinstian Foden-Vencil
A Swedish Gunmaker by Fredrik Franzen
David Mille by Gary Sitton
Elegance in Singular Form by Alexander Gray
Rigby's New .450 by Luke Samaras
Born Again: The Double Rifle by Tom Turpin
Detachable Mounts by Terry Wieland
From the Workbench by Steven Dodd Hughes
Book Review by Steven Dodd Hughes
Afterthoughts by Tom Turpin
Cartridge Classics by Terry Wieland

Last three pages are color photos of the SCI No. 2 Rhino Rifle, built by Champlin Firearms, stocked by Maurice Ottmar, engraved by Don Goodwin

By the way, cost for a "plain" 450 Rigby on the 602 action was 6000 British Pounds in 1995. A rifle on the Noreen square bridge Magnum Mauser action was 8500 Pounds. Hmm. Noreen action. Looks like an American action builder is involved in Rigby's Finest! I think Noreen is now the Hein, in Tekoa, WA http://www.rifleactions.com/

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
150 pages! Oh Boy, ... Sorry for putting the squeeze on you, John. You're a very busy man. If I can assist in any way, I'd be happy to do so. It sounds as though this work would be well worth the effort.

Thanks a lot for responding.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Ricks

This is just to great, it like reading the menue in a nice restaurant, droll rag out [Big Grin]

Show us, don't be shy [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN