Find
Notify
Tools

Most Impressive Spiral Horned
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted
Whilst reading my "Awards" issue of SCI magazine this morning, I was looking at the SCI major awards for Africa. There, you have two that interest me. The first is our own Marc Watts in first place for his mountain nyala taken with Jason Roussos. In second is the new world record sitatunga I believe taken by Ronald Pavlik & Richard Bellcross I think?.

I can't decide which is more spectacular? I really am torn....I really want to give the nod to Mojo, cause I know him, but then I look at that sitatunga and christ almighty....whew!!

A tough one.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough call.

Although the most spectacular trophy I have ever seen was a sixty-seven and one half inch Kudu mounted in a farm in RSA. I dream about seeing one that big in the flesh someday...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or a 19+ inch East African bushbuck! Or a 34 inch Lesser Kudu! Or..... they are all stunning trophies and specimen, too unique to choose one over the other for me.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Of the pair you mention, I would vote for the Mountain Nyala. However, on the basis of pure aesthetics, and not "exclusivity" or the trophy fee based generation of "status", I vote for the Southern Greater Kudu. Sure a mid-five figure Mountain Nyala is "impressive" as is the pricey Lord Derby Eland or Bongo, but the elegance of even an average Kudu is impossible to top by inflated price tags.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tendrams,

well said. My Kudu, is a "good one" at 54 inches. But, my gosh, what an impressive display of horn.

I vote Marc too.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I guess I would vote for the Mountain nyala because to me it is a litte more exotic. It appears only in Ethiopia, has a very limited habitat there and I don't have one.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Of the pair you mention, I would vote for the Mountain Nyala. However, on the basis of pure aesthetics, and not "exclusivity" or the trophy fee based generation of "status", I vote for the Southern Greater Kudu. Sure a mid-five figure Mountain Nyala is "impressive" as is the pricey Lord Derby Eland or Bongo, but the elegance of even an average Kudu is impossible to top by inflated price tags.

Tendrams,
I am not even considering the price tags. My impetus is an antelope that in most cases sport a single "lyre" shaped horn with outward pointing tips of ivory. When they grow to the extremes of these two they take on almost a horn shape of their own. If you look closely at the sitatunga, it is actually starting a second curl. That would in my estimation equate to a greater kudu having three curls. And as far as the other examples you cite I can't disagree but they were not in the awards category.

I still can't decide... but Marc's the real deal so I guess Marc.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the bongo. Fantastic animals with spiral horns in a spectacular biotop.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caracal,
I think I phrased the topic incorrectly, It was basically between the #1 and #2 SCI pics. All the spiral horned antelopes are incredibly majestic creatures. Its just that both #1 and #2 are so stunningly different than a "mortal" representative of the species.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
To me.....nothing compares to a big old "blue bull" Eland. And my second favorite spiral horn would have to be Southern Nyala.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve: It's interesting you throw that question out there. I'm trying to find me a good Sitatunga out there. Aaron says he has a few chained up, poised to release the shackles upon my arrival in Zambia. I got Andrew scoutin' for me over there as well. Still waitin' for photos to legitimize trophy potential. Regardless of how big that Sit is that Andrew and Aaron rope up for me, I don't think he can outclass a Mt. Nyala. Those judges for the Caldesi Award were surely impressed. The fact that the Mt. Nyala can only be hunted in one country, gives that animal the nod.

www.carlocaldesiaward.it/ENG/vincitori.html

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,
Andrew certainly gives you the highest probability to whack one like that.
Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SableTrail:
Steve: It's interesting you throw that question out there. I'm trying to find me a good Sitatunga out there. Aaron says he has a few chained up, poised to release the shackles upon my arrival in Zambia. I got Andrew scoutin' for me over there as well. Still waitin' for photos to legitimize trophy potential. Regardless of how big that Sit is that Andrew and Aaron rope up for me, I don't think he can outclass a Mt. Nyala. Those judges for the Caldesi Award were surely impressed. The fact that the Mt. Nyala can only be hunted in one country, gives that animal the nod.

Andrew and I are talking about the exact same place, Lunga Luswishi. But you need to remember, RICHARD is the guy who guides all the big Sitatunga! Andrew just follows him around. Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
Whilst reading my "Awards" issue of SCI magazine this morning, I was looking at the SCI major awards for Africa. There, you have two that interest me. The first is our own Marc Watts in first place for his mountain nyala taken with Jason Roussos. In second is the new world record sitatunga I believe taken by Ronald Pavlik & Richard Bellcross I think?.

I can't decide which is more spectacular? I really am torn....I really want to give the nod to Mojo, cause I know him, but then I look at that sitatunga and christ almighty....whew!!

A tough one.

Steve

The Sitatunga is the new world record and by a long chalk. Note Mark Watts Mountain Nyala is not the world record and that is held by Roussos himself.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

Andrew and I are talking about the exact same place, Lunga Luswishi. But you need to remember, RICHARD is the guy who guides all the big Sitatunga! Andrew just follows him around. Smiler

Aaron,

I presume that comment was in jest? Note our recent exploration was my initiative and I spent many weeks beating around some god forsaken back water for RICHARD and HIS forthcoming clients.

And that will be the last time for any of your clients.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the #1 in the world Sitatunga

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forest Sitatunga taken by stalking.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
There is something special about a well adorned kudu bull.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
There is something special about a well adorned kudu bull.

I agree. IMO there is no more beatiful trophy than an aesteticly pleasing set of kudu horns.

I think this one is the best I have ever seen:

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ann here. A big bull is like an attractive huntress with really long hair...

Like Ann.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

Aaron,

I presume that comment was in jest? Note our recent exploration was my initiative and I spent many weeks beating around some god forsaken back water for RICHARD and HIS forthcoming clients.

And that will be the last time for any of your clients.

Andrew - I was just seeing if you are paying attention??? dancing

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sorry that was off the cuff and just got back from Luangwa covered in dust and diesel. Hot and pissed and not in a jovial mood.

Could you buy Richard and I a ticket each to support the Greeff fund and will reimburse you when we next meet?

If you have a client coming out then I could square you up then?

Admire what all you chaps are doing for a fellow PH.

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal